So glad I went from band to RNY

byebyeband
on 12/10/10 5:39 am - CA
Hi,
Just checking in.  I had band to RNY surgery on 11-22!  I've already lost 25 lbs, 33 from highest weight!  I feel great, went dancing on Wed and had so much fun. 

I am enjoying my baggy clothes, and will need to buy new underware this weekend!  haha...soooo excited about that.  Everyone notices and they say they can really tell in my face. 

I was cleared for the gym last week and have been twice this week (busy week at school).  I am missing the gym.  I worked out A LOT before the surgery, especially lifting weights!  I went into the surgery strong and was released less than 48 hours after. 

I am sooo happy to be eating cottage cheese...it is my staple.  I struggle w/ getting enough water in, but am enjoying hot tea, decaf and am trying to increase my water.

I LOVE not being hungry.  With the band, my stomach would GROWL sooooo loud my students could hear it!  Now, I have to be reminded to eat. 

I am soooo happy I did this.  Sure, it is not easy, but neither is being overweight. 

Pamela
indygirl
on 12/10/10 6:43 am - indianapolis, IN
Hi Pamela,
Glad to hear you're doing so well.  I'm on my way a week after XMAS.  I'm planning to be just as successful with my revision.  Keep us posted on your progress!

Indy
(deactivated member)
on 12/10/10 6:58 am - Bayonne, NJ
Sounds like things ar going great! Glad you are doing so well. You go out & get the pretty underwear now, that's one of the best parts!

Hope everything continues to be smooth sailing from here on out!
terilynn112
on 12/10/10 7:44 am - maryland, NY
Congratulations. You are doing so good.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

_rebecca
on 12/10/10 1:12 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
So glad you are doing well!  I am a teacher, too.  I am having my revision in a few days.  Can't wait!  What do your students say about your weight loss?  You are doing so great-keep it up!
CindyLyn
on 12/10/10 2:32 pm - Evadale, TX
 I am seriously thinking of a revision.  For the past yr + I have had so many problems with my Band.,  A couple of months after I had my surgery , my surgeon up and moved his practice and took all of his patients records with him.   I lost around 50 lbs and then started having horrible problems with not being able to eat or drink.  I had to have a large unfill.  Since that time I have gain 40 of those pounds back and I am miserible.  Even with no fluid in my band and chewing my food to liquid I still get stuck and throw up after eating most foods.   I am not saying anything bad about the Band but I am starting to think this is not the WLS  I should have gotten.
Does insurance pay for revision and what is the recovery like after  RNY? 

Revision from Lap Band to Gastric Sleeve.  August 16, 2011

Kimberley H.
on 12/10/10 2:54 pm - Winston-Salem, NC
I believe insurance does cover another WLS if your band has to be removed because of slippage or erosion. My band had slipped and it sounds like you are having the same symptoms. I would get an X-ray as soon as possible.

tommie W.
on 12/12/10 4:16 am - Newton, TX

Girl, I hear you.  I used him too.. I had my revision Dec. 6th...doing good with surgery.
I didn't have a choice, Dr. said my lap band had to come out.  It was put in wrong..
I had been having lots of problems, like you,  couldn't keep anything down.  I was one of Dr. Hahn's
first lapband patients...
I used Dr. Gomez, He's with UTMB Galveston.  I was very impressed with John Sealy Hospital.
The care there was wonderful.
I have medicare and Blue cross, so I am waiting to find out how much they pay.

byebyeband
on 12/11/10 1:59 pm - CA
My insurance paid, and I was not having any problems with the band what so ever...just didn't lose weight.  I had lost 30 lbs, but quit smoking at the same time...so over 3 years, put that back on.

The recovery has been relatively easy.  I had surgery on the 22nd, and was at work on the 29th of Nov.  I hosted a party for 50 people on Dec. 3rd...went to a concert and danced all night on the 8th...been to the gym a few times, and even went to a cookie decorating party today (decorated and left the cookies, and made sure I didn't lick my fingers)!  Again, I worked out a lot going in...a lot!  I was strong and it has been great getting back to working out!

My students don't really know.  I told 4 of my 7th grade girls...but they are sooo cool and are sooo happy for me!  A week after surgery, I came in and they gave me a thumbs up!

Pamela

Kimberley H.
on 12/12/10 12:12 am - Winston-Salem, NC
 That is such great news Pam! Kudos to you! I have not met one person that converted from a lap-band to a RNY who has not been elated.

You go girl:)

Kim

Most Active