need advice on revision from lb to vsg

Jenns Livin free
on 12/9/10 11:35 am
I have been banded since Sept. 2009.  I have lost almost 80 pounds.  20 was lost the first 2 weeks of my pre-op diet, so I have only lost 60 in 15 months.  I have not lost any realy weight since May.  The biggest issue is that I have a huge problem eating.  I feel like I need a fill, but when I get one, I am too tight and can't eat anything.  I have been on a fill/unfill roller coaster for 6 months.  I may get some strong opinions on this, but I didn't know about vsg when I got my band.  I thought that there was only DS and RNY, and I knew I didn't want those, so I didn't research any other WLS.  My BMI is 37, so I am still severly obese.  Is the VSG good?  What about reflux, taking supplements, and what to eat?  That's the other thing about the band...you are supposed to eat protein first, but I have a hell of a hard time getting anything down.  Any comments/advice would be appreciated.
Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

Shirley-In-Bama
on 12/10/10 11:36 am - morris, AL
I am having exactly the same issues that you are. I came to this board to get more info on the sleeve. We will probably have to go to the VSG board to get any relevant information. I was self pay when I had my band and will have to pay for the revision and was really wanting to know the average cost of the VSG surgery. Do you know?
**********Southern Born and Southern Bred**********
90 Pounds Gone!!!
MARIA F.
on 12/11/10 9:51 am - Athens, GA

Shirly and Jenn please post on the lap band forum about your band problems! I have the same band problem u all are having.............too loose or too tight.............NO "restriction/sweet spot" as we were all told we would have after an appropriate number of fills (14 fills n 3 partial unfills here in just over a yr.).

As we now can see the band does NOT work for most ppl! Ppl like us need to make others aware of what the band is really like!!! Don't u wish someone had told us that these things were possible BEFORE we got the band?!?!?! Well most Drs, do NOT tell ppl that in advance, and most of the ppl on the band forum just want other bandsters telling the "happy band" fairytales. Please ladies............do what u can to make a difference in someone's life! Post your experiences so that others are aware that these things happen quite frequently. Do u really want to think that other ppl will get the band and go through the same thing we are when we can make them aware and save some of them from going through the same thing???

FormerlyFluffy.com

Servaline Savannah
on 12/28/10 2:13 am - MI
I'm in the same boat with all of you.  Hoping to revise to either a VSG or RNY.  I have to have a BMI of 35 w/comorbidities before they will even submit to Insurance and then it is a guessing game.  I've lost only a total of 50lb w/the band and put nearly all of it back on.  Several fills, and a few unfills later, I'm totally frustrated after nearly three years.

bm
MARIA F.
on 12/11/10 9:54 am - Athens, GA
On December 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM Pacific Time, Shirley-In-Bama wrote:
I am having exactly the same issues that you are. I came to this board to get more info on the sleeve. We will probably have to go to the VSG board to get any relevant information. I was self pay when I had my band and will have to pay for the revision and was really wanting to know the average cost of the VSG surgery. Do you know?
Shirely I had to self-pay on my band also and will have to self-pay for my revision when I can afford it. I have been researching VSG in Mexico and for a good surgeon it seems to be around $10,000.

FormerlyFluffy.com

WASaBubbleButt
on 12/12/10 9:19 am - Mexico
On December 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM Pacific Time, Shirley-In-Bama wrote:

I went to Mexico for my band and for my revision to a sleeve.  I can't be for sure but I believe it is $10,500 for a revision or maybe $9500.  My surgery was 2.5 years ago and prices change.

Since you are needing a revision remember, you'll need a really good revision surgeon as well. Risks for bleeding, perforations, and leaks are triple with a revision vs. working on a virgin stomach.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Hislady
on 12/10/10 12:29 pm - Vancouver, WA
Hang out on the VSG forum and read there. They seem very successful and I too wish I'd known about this before getting this stupid band. Good luck to you both!
_rebecca
on 12/10/10 1:04 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
I am having my revision on December 20th.  The sleeve forum does have lots of great information.  I wish I had gotten the sleeve instead of my band.  As far as vitamins you have to take B12 and calcium citrate.  This is due to your smaller stomach not being able to process these vitamins.  Reflux is usually only temporary, as your stomach learns to produce less stomach acid over time.  Your doctor will give your medicine for this.  My doctor already started me on some to start taking.  One thing I have noticed about the sleeve forums is how happy and successful most are.  I am really happy to be getting my sleeve soon.  This band has really been a painful experience and I won't miss sliming at all!!!
Jenns Livin free
on 12/11/10 2:12 am
That's exactly my issue--I can't even EAT the right foods because I either slim, get stuck, or can't eat after two bites.  So I know that I have been resorting to unhealthy choices just to eat food!  It's a hard decision to make, but I have two potential drs. that I am visiting with.  I am pretty sure I will go ahead with the sleeve!  Good luck...wish I was in your position of almost having this done!  It is good to know about the stomach acid; I was a little worried about that one.  BTW...are you revising in one surgery?  Both surgeons I have consulted do it in two...take out the band then go back in 8-12 weeks and do the sleeve.
Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

WASaBubbleButt
on 12/27/10 5:39 am - Mexico
On December 10, 2010 at 9:04 PM Pacific Time, _rebecca wrote:
I am having my revision on December 20th.  The sleeve forum does have lots of great information.  I wish I had gotten the sleeve instead of my band.  As far as vitamins you have to take B12 and calcium citrate.  This is due to your smaller stomach not being able to process these vitamins.  Reflux is usually only temporary, as your stomach learns to produce less stomach acid over time.  Your doctor will give your medicine for this.  My doctor already started me on some to start taking.  One thing I have noticed about the sleeve forums is how happy and successful most are.  I am really happy to be getting my sleeve soon.  This band has really been a painful experience and I won't miss sliming at all!!!

Not quite.

Less than 1% of people with a sleeve need B12.  I do not supplement with B12 and my labs show 1200.  Normal is up to 800.

We do not have to take Calcium Citrate because we do not process them well, we take it because we are female and every female likely needs Calcium supplements.  Not really anything to do with the sleeve.

One advantage banded folks have when they revise to a sleeve is that you already went through the chewing learning curve.  Makes life a lot easier.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active