Just starting thinking about Band to RNY or DS

kmg9122
on 12/8/10 1:38 pm - Spring, TX
I had my lap band placed on 9/14/2008 and have lost 20 pounds in the 2+ years since.  For the past few months I've just resigned myself to believing I have been a complete failure in the process.  In the past couple of days, I allowed the idea of a revision to RNY or even DS started to creeping into my mind and tonight, looked to find that my insurance company would actually allow it.  What do you guys think?  Should I consider revision as an option?  I've had no problems with the band, just no weight loss.  If so, RNY or DS?  I'm new on exploring this option so all of your opinions are appreciated.

Kathi - Houston, Texas
2008 - Lap Band  Hoping for revision to DS Mar 2012
Jewel506 is my Angel!

Ladytazz
on 12/9/10 1:38 am
Have you thought about a VSG? That would give you restriction without malabsorption. How much do you want to lose? What are your comorbidities? Can you commit to a life of labwork and supplements? Do you need to take NSAIDS? There are a lot of things to look at. If you can, make an appointment with a surgeon that does all the surgeries, maybe go to a seminar to get more information.
Amanda S.
on 12/9/10 3:15 am - Fairfield, OH

Have you never got restriction? What happened to where you didn't lose weight? I had the band put in 11/06. It never helped me lose a single pound. I initially lost 30ish lbs (on my own) and since the band never helped me feel "satisfied" with a few ounces of food, I gained it back. I'm currently looking into revision myself. I'm pretty certain I'm going to go w/ Roux en Y.
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/10 8:23 pm - Bayonne, NJ
There are a lot of people *****vise from the band to the DS and from RNY to the DS. You almost never hear about a DSer revising to an RNY.

Although the VSG is nice, it's purely restriction, and if the restriction of the band didn't work it sounds like you need the malabsorption.  You'd get 18 months of malabsorption with the RNY, more with the DS.

Why not head over to the DS board and ask the people there who have revised from the band about their feelings? I'm coming from an RNY to DS revision standpoint, and my issues were probably different, but after reading the long-term weight loss studies, the DS seems like a better choice to me. Just keep in mind that you need a good, vetted surgeon. There's a great list on dsfacts.com - you might want to look at that site.
terilynn112
on 12/9/10 9:07 pm - maryland, NY
I am revising to a RNY from a band on jan 11, 2011. I never found restriction and never lost more than 20 pounds. I've at this point had a couple slips, and am currently empty. So I'm struggling with more gain.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

kmg9122
on 12/10/10 2:58 am - Spring, TX
That's awesome that you're set up for Jan.11th! You must be so excited!  Hopefully we can keep in touch on how you're doing!
byebyeband
on 12/10/10 5:28 am - CA

Hi~
I had the band in 2007...and lost only 30 lbs.  I had the RNY revision 2 and a half WEEKS ago...and am already down 33 pounds...more than w/ 3 years of the band. 

As for what surgery, I am not going to advise you, that is personal.  But should you get a revision???  YES!  I figured, I'd already committed to WLS, and needed to follow through.  You wanted it bad enough to get the band...why not keep going until you make your WL dreams come true!

Good luck!

Pamela

Most Active