Did any of you RNY'rs to DS'rs start out feeling like your pouch was too big???

altheda71
on 12/8/10 12:14 pm - Bear, DE
I'm 8 months out and have had NO COMPLICATIONS thanks be to God!  My concern is that I'm not feeling the full sensation that I thought I would or should.  I've lost 100lb + and I'm happy with the results but I'm freaking out about the fact that I have such a long journey ahead of me without the limitations that I'd hoped for with the RNY.  I can eat sugar; fat; starch; etc. etc. without any problem or resistance.  This is not good for my type of eating habits and addictions.  I do have some self control, but already I feel like if I'm just going to have to be on a perpetual diet for the rest of my life once the malabsorption stops.

I like to be ahead of the ball.  I don't want to get caught off guard.  So, I'm asking some of you RNY'rs to explain why you had the DS revision done from the RNY.  What were your concerns and how early out did you know you needed/wanted to pursue the DS?  How do you approach the idea with your Dr. and with whom do you FIRST discuss the concerns with?  Is it the orignal surgeon or the potential revision surgeon?  Dr. Greenbaum is in my immediate area....what do you guys think of him?

May God bless us in all of our endeavors.  May He forgive us for our frailties and our vanities and bless us to be prosperous in health, soul, and in life.            
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/10 8:19 pm - Bayonne, NJ
First, congrats on having no complications, that's great! Second, congrats on losing 100+, that's also great!

You wouldn't qualify for a revision based on food addictions, etc. If you were diet-compliant and didn't lose the weight, or if you had complications, then yes, a revision would be advised.

I had RNY in 2003, didn't revise until last December. I managed to keep off 100 lbs, didn't get to goal, but I did have a complication from the RNY. They used a prolene mesh band around my stoma to prevent pouch stretching. It caused constant vomiting, so I was more able to eat soft, starchy foods than dense proteins. It sucks. Now, with the sleeve, I can eat right, but I still have restriction.

You can outeat any surgery including the DS.

My original surgeon had stopped practicing, and when he left he gave us a list of doctors who would understand our surgery type. Dr. Greenbaum was one of the 3 listed, and the one who was the most successful, according to my research. I told him I wanted to have the ring out so that I could eat normally, and he gave me the background on converting to a DS. I read up on here, and decided to go for it.

I can't believe I lived for 7 years with that, since now things seem so normal. I went to my primary, who agreed to help me with the pre-surgical requirements and documentation, and things all came together. I started in July or August, I think I did the bulk of the tests in early September, and surgery was in December, so it wasn't a huge wait.

May I ask why you didn't decide on the DS from the beginning? Was the RNY the only thing presented to you (that's what happened with me back in 2002-2003). Insurance wouldn't cover the DS, so I went with RNY.
altheda71
on 12/10/10 6:43 am - Bear, DE
Thank you for taking to the time to share your experience and answer my query.  I had known of the DS, but I was not offered the DS since my group did not perform the surgery type.  I kinda felt in my gut that if I had the choice/option I would've went with the DS b/c the research supports the notion that it is superior to the RNY.  But in the desparation of the moment and having complied with all the requirements for RNY, I just figured it wouldn't be that bad.

Learning this pouch takes time though.  On one day I can eat a cow (exaggeration) and the next day I'm in pain from a few bites.  I am just going to have to stick with the program and make myself get a bit more involved with exercise and somehow force myself to stay completely away from the sugar and white starches.  The same ole diet that I failed on all of my life.  Maybe the RNY will be the thing that makes it successful, but from what I KNOW and what I've seen....I'm shaking in my boots.

Thanks again...

May God bless us in all of our endeavors.  May He forgive us for our frailties and our vanities and bless us to be prosperous in health, soul, and in life.            
(deactivated member)
on 12/10/10 6:52 am - Bayonne, NJ
Hey, don't set yourself up for failure. It sounds to me like you're losing very well, and who knows - maybe it'll continue, and maybe you can keep a handle on things.

I will tell you that after years of experience with it, even with my stoma problem, there were times when I could eat more. I started tracking it and it wound up looking like it was definitely hormonal - I could eat more as I approached "that time" of the month.

If you're really worried about over eating or being a carb addict, you might want to try a therapist who deals with that. I've been seeing someone on & off for about 3 years, and she helps me keep things in perspective.

I think it's unrealistic to stay completely away from everything, because that sets up a binge mode. If we stay away completely, we feel deprived. A little bit in balance is usually better. Adding in exercise is always a good idea and I know I haven't exactly been a star student in that area as of late, lol. Winter comes & i want to hibernate!

I wish you the best, and I hope it works out. I think you're doing better at 8 months than I was post-rny, and I was knocking myself out with exercise.

Hang in there!
Most Active