Home today after Monday revision

snedly318
on 12/8/10 11:43 am - Mine Hill, NJ
Hello!  I am home now for about 10 hours!  Yahoo!!!  So glad to be home with my own pillows and bed!!  I had a RNY in 2004 was revised to a BOB in 11-2009 and on Monday had my band removed and my RNY revised.  After scary first night with heart rate around 40 and the expected post op pain/discomfort I am onmy way to an absolutely new way of life!

Surgeon told me that revision was more radical than expected (my stoma had enlarged and I was horribly sick with the band).  Apparently he excised the old stoma, reduced the jejunum a bit and removed the pouch from stoma to band leaving me a 1/2 ounce pouch.  Anyone know a name for this type of revision?

Overall  I am doing well.

Karen

Sorry if this is jumbled.....I am under influence of pain meds
Snedly318
(deactivated member)
on 12/10/10 6:40 am - Bayonne, NJ
Holy hell, I hope you're feeling better! That was a lot to go through.

I'm sorry you had to go through so much. I don't know what you'd call that, but I hope that this time is the charm for you. Please, take your vitamins, do all your follow-up blood work, and stick around so we know you're ok. :)

Happy losing!
Lisa N.
on 12/11/10 9:26 am - Williston Park, NY
 Hi Karen,

I just had  my revision of my RNY back to an RNY on 11/29/10. I originally had my RNY in Aug of 2003.  I started at 304 and went down to 187.  In 2006 I started gaining weight and I had a stomaphyx in 2008 which did nothing for me.  My original surgeon recommended me to his former associate in Sept to for a lap band.  I met with him in Oct and originally that was what I going to have done.  After he made me go though all this testing, upper gi, ct scan and endoscopy, he found that my pouch had stretched back to an original stomach and my stoma had stretched. He said that the band would not work on me.  He said that I needed to my bypass revised.  He told me that he had to make a new connection, new pouch, new stoma, and he was removing the other part of my stomach.

I had surgery on 11/29 and it lasted 7 hours.  I found out that my original bypass was crooked, my surgeon said that when he saw my pouch, he said it was horrible and he had to take it down and redo it  He had to remove a piece  of my intestine.  I found out from his associate that I had a ton of scar tissue that they had to remove.  I had my first surgery open.  I was surprised that they didn't convert it to an open.

I had to spend a week in the hospital b/c my lung collasped again, and my potassium and magnesium levels kept dropping.  I was so happy when I was able to go home on Monday.  Now I just want to feel better.  I am so achey and my thighs are are so numb from the position they had me for 7 hours straight.
   Lisa
snedly318
on 12/11/10 10:59 am - Mine Hill, NJ

It's nice to not be alone, but I don't want that peace of mind at the suffering of another.  I hope you feel better again soon! 

I have needed to rely on my pain meds more this time than last.....perhaps it has something to do with an extensive surgery but more likey to do with being 41 now vs. 34 the first go around.
I am disappointed in my need for pain meds.  It really limits me, but then again so does the pain itself.

I went to the grocery store with my DH tonight.....exhausting.....needed to get skim plus lactose free milk because I cannot add vanilla almond milk to soups, etc and just couldn't stand the chair or sofa any longer.  It went well but is now time for pain meds again.

I am taking my vitamins as prescribed and just am challenged by the fluids and the protein requirements.  But am trying to be creative and add protein to everything!

Keep in touch hope you do well tonight.

Karen aka Snedly318

Snedly318
Most Active