Help! Nausea after band removal??

Kimberley H.
on 12/8/10 6:11 am - Winston-Salem, NC
I'm almost one month out of surgery but have had consistent nausea since i had the band taken out. My surgeon gave me lots of meds and they help a bit but I'm confused about why this is happening. I had my gallbladder removed one year after having the band and wonder if my symptoms are gallbladder related and the band masked them.

Has anyone else experieced this?

KIm

C J
on 12/8/10 10:02 am - Franklin, MA
When I had my band out (NOT by choice) it was a pretty emotional time.

I remember getting a ton of anti-nausea medication (Promethazine) so I would not vomit. It should go away as you heal - perhaps contact your surgeon if you're still not feeling right.     Not sure if the gallbladder has any affect on your situation.

Band removal typically results in a partial gastrectomy which in my case causes constant acid reflux which I had NEVER in all my hears experienced, now I take Tums daily.
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/8/10 10:08 am - Mexico
On December 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM Pacific Time, C J wrote:

I remember getting a ton of anti-nausea medication (Promethazine) so I would not vomit. It should go away as you heal - perhaps contact your surgeon if you're still not feeling right.     Not sure if the gallbladder has any affect on your situation.

Band removal typically results in a partial gastrectomy which in my case causes constant acid reflux which I had NEVER in all my hears experienced, now I take Tums daily.

Oh please don't take TUMS for reflux!  It actually causes the problem to be worse than you started off with.  As it leaves your stomach it triggers another chemical to be released that causes more acid than you started out with, rebound acid.  Any calcium carbonate is going to do that.  You don't even get the benefit of calcium because carbonate is not well absorbed in anyone.  Calcium Citrate is better for that.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
C J
on 12/8/10 10:22 am - Franklin, MA
C J
on 12/8/10 10:24 am - Franklin, MA
Funny you say that...  I had no idea there was a difference between citrate and carbonate until like three weeks ago.  I used to neglect my refulx all together because I wasn't sure what it was.  Then I started taking Tums because I was/am such a novice when it comes to heart burn and reflux...   Anyway as I've been gathering all my supplements to start taking I was reading about citrate and it's advantage over carbonate.  So yeah, Citrate +D is part of my daily regimine. 

BUTTTT  I have no idea what to do for quick relief when it REALLY burns!!!  Any suggestion?
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/8/10 10:28 am - Mexico
On December 8, 2010 at 6:24 PM Pacific Time, C J wrote:
Funny you say that...  I had no idea there was a difference between citrate and carbonate until like three weeks ago.  I used to neglect my refulx all together because I wasn't sure what it was.  Then I started taking Tums because I was/am such a novice when it comes to heart burn and reflux...   Anyway as I've been gathering all my supplements to start taking I was reading about citrate and it's advantage over carbonate.  So yeah, Citrate +D is part of my daily regimine. 

BUTTTT  I have no idea what to do for quick relief when it REALLY burns!!!  Any suggestion?

Yep, Gaviscon.  Every bit as gross as TUMS. ;o)  More expensive but much better in the end.

I found them at the dollar store once and bought a bunch.  Wish I would have purchased them all for people who need them. They were so darn cheap.

Kimberley H.
on 12/10/10 3:04 pm - Winston-Salem, NC
That is so good to know about Tums.

Thanks for the heads up.

It is getting a lot better. I just can't eat anything sweet or fatty.

MARIA F.
on 12/11/10 9:36 am - Athens, GA
On December 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM Pacific Time, C J wrote:

CJ I urge u and Kimberly to post your experiences on the band forum! Most ppl that have band complications and even the ones that have permanent recurring problems from the band like u CJ DON'T go back to the band forum and warn ppl about these thing! It is so important to do that b/c u could save soneone else from having to go through the same things u all went through b/c of the band!!! It is soooooooooo important to post things this so ppl will b aware of them and can then make an INFORMED decision as to weather they want the band or not. I feel it is our responsibility (those of us that have had band problems) to post about these things on the band forum to make ppl aware of it! Don;t u wish that someone had told u how common all these band complications were before u got the band?!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Kimberley H.
on 12/12/10 12:16 am - Winston-Salem, NC

I did it! I only had one woman attack me but Midwestern girl blew her out of the water! LOL!

I hope the bands are better. It seemed to be the response most people gave me.

WASaBubbleButt
on 12/12/10 8:47 am - Mexico
On December 12, 2010 at 8:16 AM Pacific Time, Kimberley H. wrote:

I did it! I only had one woman attack me but Midwestern girl blew her out of the water! LOL!

I hope the bands are better. It seemed to be the response most people gave me.

HA!

Most Active