Does ins pay for revision

Debbie R.
on 12/4/10 11:59 am - Las Cruces, NM
I have the lap band and have only lost 65 pounds, i am still considered obese with a bmi of 32. i am going to have spinal fusion surgery next month and i wont be able to move around much and i'm sure i will gain more weight. My back surgeon told me i needed to lose weight...I didn't think I would ever hear those words again.
So, just wondering if i should have a revision and if my insurance company will pay.
Diane G.
on 12/4/10 4:44 pm - Smithtown, NY
RNY on 07/25/05 with
 That all depends on your insurance company.  Mine has been amazing.  They paid for my original gastric bypass, gall bladder removal, appendix removal, revision to band over bypass, a pelvic laparoscopy, removal of the band due to ulcerative tissue, RNY revision (smaller pouch), and most recently an emergency surgery due to complications from the revision.  

The revision surgeries were approved within a matter of minutes.  I have Empire BCBS.  Never had a problem.  What insurance do you have?
Debbie R.
on 12/4/10 11:47 pm - Las Cruces, NM
I work for the State of New Mexico, I have Lovelace Ins.  I don't have any problems with them so far but I have never asked them about a revision.
teachmid
on 12/4/10 10:32 pm - OKC, OK
Yes,  it totally depends on your insurance policy.  Mine covers nothing related to WLS, so my reviosion in 2 weeks is self pay

Gail
1hotchick
on 12/10/10 12:03 am - San Antonio, TX
Gail,

Where r u doing ur Revision at? If u dont mind how much is it running you. Im pushing 4 yrs out and am considering seeking a revision.
_rebecca
on 12/5/10 3:29 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with

You can look up your policy, but if you do have revision coverage, they will only cover it if there is a medical problem with your currect WLS or if you havent' lost a certain amount of weight over a long period of time. 

Debbie R.
on 12/5/10 10:55 am - Las Cruces, NM
I have been the same weight for 18 months. My BMI is 32. I am still considered obese at 5"2 174 pounds. This is my second band, the first one was put on wrong (different surgeon). I don't know if my stomach can handle any more messing with.
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/10 3:53 am - Bayonne, NJ
I had Horizon BCBS NJ and they covered my original RNY, my revision to the DS, and everything I needed to obtain both.  Check your policy. If your doctor says that more weight loss is medically necessary (and long-term band studies show it doesn't keep weight off) they just might cover your revision.
jbtcat
on 12/5/10 3:58 pm - Houston, TX
I also had a lap band with lots of problems.  My insurance (UHC) paid for my band, 10-15 barium swallows, 4 upper scopes, 3-4 CAT scans and the band removal all between 5/08 and 12/09.  They will not pay a penny for a revision due to only covering one WLS per lifetime.  You are lucky if you can get it covered the second time.
Sandy
Banded 5/30/08, removed 12/29/09, Sleeved 1/18/11
Highest/Consult/Surgery/Band Removal/Regain/Current/Goal
 360+    329       287       265           288     245     ?140?

Debbie R.
on 12/5/10 4:28 pm - Las Cruces, NM
The only reason they paid for the second one is because the first idiot surgeon didn't put the band around my stomach.
Most Active