Please Help Me Prepare!

C J
on 12/2/10 11:40 pm, edited 12/3/10 12:28 am - Franklin, MA

My surgery is in 39 more days!! 1.11.11 I'm trying not to get stressed out in the pre-op preparation... so I am reaching out to you for ideas as far as necessary items in preparation while in the hospital and for my return home.

I've been told by my surgeon that my hospital stay will be a minimum of 4 days so I'll be coming home on Stage 3: High Protein Full Liquids (SF/LowFat)

Any ideas, suggestions???

Thank you for ANY level of insight you can offer.

EDIT: My LapBand was removed in February 2008 leaving me with a partial gastrectomy... BCBS won't cover the VSG but my surgeon believes she can get me approved and it's the appropriate lower risk procedure. I'm prepared for RNY but if she gets the VSG approved I'd absolutely heed her recomendation. I should know in the next few weeks.

I've been declared a slow loser - and couldn't be happier!!
 I  can,  I  will.  

TamaraL
on 12/2/10 11:54 pm
Are you doing lap band to RNY or did you decide on the VSG??

I had lap band to RNY on October 8th and love the gastric bypass.  I don't eat much, portions are very, very small and I am not hungry most of the time.

I only stayed overnight with my revision.  I was in a lot of pain the first day or 2. 

I would only bring housecoat, chapstick, clothes to wear home.  You are probable not going to feel like doing a lot.

WALK the halls as soon as possible.

Tamara

C J
on 12/3/10 12:34 am - Franklin, MA
Wow one night! Yikes - I'm looking forward to a few days of being in their care before being on my own.  Tufts/Boston has a standarde 3 night minimum - I'm at 4 becuase of the higher risk (revision).

I'm guessing by day 3 I'll be bored out of my mind, I don't usually watch a lot of tv but I do love my computer and I read a little... I was thinking of brining my iTouch (since they do have WiFi and could d/load movies to watch to pass the time), and maybe a book?

When I had my band back in 2007 my boyfriend brought in the clothes for me to wear home... he was just trying to be nice but he bought me this bright green tracksuit sort of outfit I felt like the green monster I was miserable LOL!   I'll definitely be packing my own wearing home clothes this time!
Bobbie D.
on 12/4/10 5:58 am
I had my VBG revised to RNY on 9/1 and was in the hospital for 5 days. Mine was done open. My doctor has his patients in intensive care automatically for the first couple of days. I was there for 3 but only because there wasn't an available room on the regular floor on the 2nd day.

Chapstick is the only thing besides my clothes to wear home, and my BlackBerry that I needed the whole time I was there. My robe would have been of no use with the IV that I had in. Just wear their gowns and walk as much as you can. I was out of it alot so no time to be bored until the day I went home. I went home with a G-tube that stayed for 7 weeks. The JP drain came out the morning I went home. I was pretty sore for a few weeks.

I hope everything goes well for you!

Most Active