Revision-for Roux-en-y????

Stephanie T.
on 11/30/10 12:13 am - West Chester, PA
Hello.

I just found out there is a such thing as a revision to Gastric bypass!!!

I had the Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass on June 4, 2003 at 490lbs with no complications. I lost 223lbs then gained 30lbs of that back.  I had gained over 50 but I lost over 20 recently thank god.  I feel like Im stuck at 300lbs.  My body just isnt responding well to diet and exercise. I was hoping to reach my goal of 200-250 as I still want to be a curvacious woman.

I made an appt. today with my surgeons nurse to talk about a revision, but it seems like all I see on here so far are people who had lap bands getting Roux-en-y instead.

Has anyone had the Roux-en-y prior and received a revision?

Thanks
kardell
on 11/30/10 1:12 am
YES..I had  original.RNY in 2000.
I recently had a RNY revision in OCT.
I had to have a revsion due to ulcer and gastric fistula. So happy I did!
The fistula fixed and the pouch redone. i was up 45-50 lbs for lowest weight. I have lost23 since the surgery. feeling good
Good luck..
brenbrit58
on 11/30/10 5:50 am - Milton, FL
I had my intestines re-sectioned 5 weeks ago so as to cause more malabsorption. So far I have not lost any significant weight but I have not gained any either.

Shawnta H.
on 11/30/10 8:37 pm - Ellicott City, MD
Hello,
I had RNY on 2000 I lost 167lbs.  I had a baby in 2006 and regained 50 lbs.  I had a revision to what is called ERNY (more malabsorption) in 2007 and only lost 20lbs.  I am now in the process of applying for insurance approval to get a DS.  Please do your research when deciding on a revision.  In hind sight I wish I had gotten the DS in 2007 and not wasted my time with the ERNY.  Most surgeons do not do RNY to DS revisions so they will not mention that option.  Make sure you look into all the surgeries before you make a decision.

Good Luck
Shawnta
Stephanie T.
on 11/30/10 9:00 pm - West Chester, PA
Thanks all!  I will have to do my research.  How do you supose I begin there seems to be so many forms of revisions, how would you know your doctor is picking the best one for you?  What is a DS and ERNY?  I'll google and see what I come up with first.  Any help or informational sites would be very helpful.  My appt. for consultation isnt until the 13th so I have time to do some research. 

Thanks again.
sosoclark
on 11/30/10 11:40 pm - Sacramento, CA
I will be having my revision to DS from a RNY next week and trust me I know how you feel. My starting weight was 455 and I lost down to about 282 for about one week and then went back up to about 290 and I stayed there for about 4 months. I weighted today at 346 and i am not happy about that at all but I am happy I will have a chance to get to my goal. Please do your research to make sure you are doing the right surgery for you for me the DS should have been the surgery for someone as large as I was from the start. Take a look at http://www.dsfacts.com/Comparison-of-DS-and-RNY.html this will give you all the information you will need.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will try my best to answer them.

Sophia

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/10 5:05 am - Bayonne, NJ
I had RNY in 2003, and a revision to the DS last December. It's been wonderful! I had lost 140, gained back about 40, never really got to goal, and I had a lot of problems. There was a ring around my stoma that caused constant reflux and vomiting.

Now I'm great, I'm down from 221 to 163, I have energy, and I can eat without worrying about throwing up. It's been some great year.
Most Active