Will need a DS after VSG can you recommend a surgeon?

joylynne
on 11/27/10 5:23 am
My surgeon only does VSG and RNYs.  He has no plans to learn DS.  My BMI is too heavy for all in one go anyway.  So I will be in the market for a Dr. that can do the DS portion of my surgery after I have lost enough weight for that. 

Also curious about the selfpay cost of such an operation will it be similarly priced to the VSG or more expensive?

Ladytazz
on 11/27/10 5:28 am
I know there are surgeons that will do the DS in one surgery at your BMI. I wouldn't have 2 surgeries if I could help it. If you are self pay the least expensive way to go is out of country. It will cost less even with the travel cost and there are some very good DS surgeons out of the country. Check here
http://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-surgeons.html
joylynne
on 11/27/10 11:48 am
I knew of a surgeon who would do it in one go but I wanted to split it up just to be on the safe side. 
I just don't want to be under for the 3 hours it would take and the 3 days in the hospital.  The VSG will take 1/2 the time and only 1 day in the hospital.   Also wanted to see how well I would do with just the sleeve.   I already had to go through all those question and it is a little late to start over my VSG surgery date is scheduled for this Thursday.
WASaBubbleButt
on 11/28/10 1:16 am - Mexico
On November 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM Pacific Time, joylynne wrote:
I knew of a surgeon who would do it in one go but I wanted to split it up just to be on the safe side. 
I just don't want to be under for the 3 hours it would take and the 3 days in the hospital.  The VSG will take 1/2 the time and only 1 day in the hospital.   Also wanted to see how well I would do with just the sleeve.   I already had to go through all those question and it is a little late to start over my VSG surgery date is scheduled for this Thursday.

it is not too late, not until you are put to sleep for surgery. ;o)

If you know you will eventually get DS you are far better to do it in one shot, it's more effective when you do it in one surgery.  It's also safer in many ways.  You are only under anesthesia once instead of twice, you risk infection once instead of twice, there are really many advantages to doing it in one surgery.

But, OTOH, many people with higher BMIs do quite well with a sleeve alone.

There are several really good DS surgeons in the US and 1 in Mexico.  If you are self pay I'd darn sure be looking at the full DS in MX.  If ins is paying it's still safer in many ways to do it all at once.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
liveinphx
on 11/27/10 9:26 pm - Phoenix, AZ
On November 27, 2010 at 1:23 PM Pacific Time, joylynne wrote:
My surgeon only does VSG and RNYs.  He has no plans to learn DS.  My BMI is too heavy for all in one go anyway.  So I will be in the market for a Dr. that can do the DS portion of my surgery after I have lost enough weight for that. 

Also curious about the selfpay cost of such an operation will it be similarly priced to the VSG or more expensive?
You might find that you will not have to have the DS after all. My BMI was over 51 when I had the sleeve in June 08 and I was able to get to goal and easily maintain with just the sleeve.
I lost 135 lbs in 10 mos with the sleeve.
I know your BMI is somewhat higher but you might want to wait and see how you do with the sleeve though I do think it is wise to research your "what if" options so you have a back up plan.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
(deactivated member)
on 11/28/10 4:46 am - IN
Dr Inman...Carmel Indiana...awesome!!  DS
MsBatt
on 11/29/10 5:17 am
Go to this website and find yourself another surgeon. Everyone on this list is a vetted DS surgeon.

www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html #il

It is ridiculous to have two surgeries when one will do. Every time you're put under, there's a slight risk you won't wake up.

As for your BMI---pish tosh. I had a full DS with a BMI of 75. You just need a better surgeon.
Most Active