Gastric Bypass in 2007

durhamd0207
on 11/27/10 6:30 am - Grove City, OH
I had my gastric bypass in 2007 and 2 weeks ago I felt like I had to go to the bathroom and when I got up from the toilet the bowl was full of bright red blood.  I got very weak but at the time I was not sure if it was from seeing the blood or from the actual blood loss.  I was home alone but my husband was due back so I went and sat down and when he came in I told him.  About an hour went by and I called the gastric bypass doctor's office and told whoever answered the phone what happened and ask if it could be related to the surgery and she said no but that if it happened again that I should go to the nearest ER.  Well it happened again and again so we went to the ER and as it would happen it happened 3 more times after I got there and within minutes a doctor was in to see me and they were typing and crossing my blood and sticking an NG tube down my nose trying to see where all of the blood was coming from and they finally found out that I had a large ulcer on the incision where the new stomach was formed and they had to cauterize it and I am sure that the spelling is wrong but I ended up in ICU for 3 days and in the hospital for 5 days.  I am home now but can't eat hardly anything at all and my nerves are shot.  Has anyone else had anything like this?  I had absolutely no pain with any of this.
brenbrit58
on 11/27/10 10:29 pm - Milton, FL
That is an eye opening tale and I hope you are doing better and thank god for your quick reactions.
I personally have never heard of this happening, but maybe the RNY board might be a better place to find out about this sort of thing.
I too thought ulsers would be painful and you would notice something going on, but you can have all kinds of what Dr's call "silent attacks"  which are episodes of slight discomfort then you feel better and think it must have been gas or something I ate that just didn't agree with me.
My Gall bladder did this to me.
Now is a good time to calm down see your surgeon and prolly take an antacid for a while to come. Did they clue you as to what might have caused it, foods, pills or stress ??
Good luck and best wishes.

durhamd0207
on 11/27/10 11:25 pm - Grove City, OH
They believe that what caused the ulcer was the medicine that I had been taking for prevention of gout but they are not sure.  I don't think that is what it was but I do have alot of stress right now so I am sure that played a large part in it but I am scared to death everytime that I go to the bathroom now because I am telling you I had no pain what so ever.
WASaBubbleButt
on 11/28/10 1:11 am - Mexico
On November 28, 2010 at 7:25 AM Pacific Time, durhamd0207 wrote:
They believe that what caused the ulcer was the medicine that I had been taking for prevention of gout but they are not sure.  I don't think that is what it was but I do have alot of stress right now so I am sure that played a large part in it but I am scared to death everytime that I go to the bathroom now because I am telling you I had no pain what so ever.

This is what scares me about bypass.  All the stomach issues.  I've not heard of this before, you must have been bleeding a lot and quickly since the blood traveled through your GI system and came out red instead of brown or black.  Very frightening.  I'm glad you are okay now.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active