How do you feel about...

thafatchick
on 11/27/10 4:10 am
How do you feel about going back to the original surgeon for a revision, especially if you think he/she might have made a slight mistake?  Would you even ask or trust them? 

I feel very untrusting about asking a doctor/surgeon to re-evaluate or redo anything on me.  Sometimes you get a feeling about someone in the beginning and ignore it when you shouldn't.  Just want your thoughts...

Have any of you gone back to the oroginal surgeon for revisions (readjustment) or tweeks?  How much did they charge you and did you think it was fair?
ThaFatChick
MsBatt
on 11/27/10 4:29 am
I haven't had a revision, but I'd say that how I'd feel about going back to the original surgeon would depend on how well I thought he performed the original surgery. If I thought he'd make a mistake---nope, I'd be getting a second, third, and mybe even fourth opinion.
byebyeband
on 11/27/10 12:27 pm - CA
I just had my band to RNY revision surgery on Monday by the same surgeon.  I LOVE my doctor, Dr. Bobby Basker-Rau in Palm Springs, CA.  I feel he is brilliant and I really trust him. 

BUT, if you aren't 100% sure about it, or have doubts, you owe it to yourself to go with your gut instincts.  It is your life and this is business, not personal. 

Good luck to you...

Pamela

Lynn C
on 11/27/10 1:43 pm
if you have doubts about your surgeon then NO - find another. I love my surgeon - he is a great cutter! Both of us did our best with the band but it just wasn't meant to be.

Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Bucketta
on 11/27/10 1:48 pm
I changed surgeons because, I did not like the way he never saw his patients again and let me go with a leaking port for almost 7 months.  I could not recommend his office to a dog, but, he as a surgeon is great. 

Just a little more than a month and I will have my RNY and I can't wait. 

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/10 1:10 am - Bayonne, NJ
I couldn't go back to the original surgeon because he had stopped practicing, but I think it's good to get opinions elsewhere. There are some doctors who specialize in revisions and they might have more information.

I think it's important to go to a doctor who can perform all the surgeries, who will help you make an informed, unbiased opinion. Too many doctors push their surgery of choice knowing it's what they prefer doing.

My RNY surgeon said years ago that he was against the lap band, because it was just a money making tool. Weight loss was not great, and the rates of failure and complications were so high that surgeons were guaranteed repeat business. He felt it was a sham.

In the end, I'm glad I went to a DS surgeon who also understood my specific RNY issue and was able to work with me to correct my problem. I only wish I'd listened to my instincts when it came to plastic surgery. I had a bad feeling before getting the arms done and I shouhld have listened.
WASaBubbleButt
on 11/28/10 1:22 am - Mexico
On November 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM Pacific Time, thafatchick wrote:
How do you feel about going back to the original surgeon for a revision, especially if you think he/she might have made a slight mistake?  Would you even ask or trust them? 

I feel very untrusting about asking a doctor/surgeon to re-evaluate or redo anything on me.  Sometimes you get a feeling about someone in the beginning and ignore it when you shouldn't.  Just want your thoughts...

Have any of you gone back to the oroginal surgeon for revisions (readjustment) or tweeks?  How much did they charge you and did you think it was fair?

You know, I've been in medicine for a long time and I can't tell you how many people had a complication due to surgeon error or a complication period and they say they just had a gut feeling and ignored it.

I have an RN friend that had her thyroid removed.  She had a gut feeling she shouldn't do it (and she shouldn't have, she could have resolved the issue with meds instead) and she almost backed out on the way to the OR.  She ignored the feeling and turns out the surgeon cut her vocal cord nerve.  She has a trach now and always will.  I'm just using her as an example.  There is a natural fear of surgery and then there is that gut feeling that you should find another option.

If you are not 100% trusting of your doc, find a new one.

I did go back to my original surgeon for a revision but the problem wasn't his fault, it was just that bands are bad.  I adore my surgeon and had zero doubts about going to him for my sleeve.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
brenbrit58
on 11/28/10 6:57 am - Milton, FL
If in doubt then don't...........I always said this to my children and now you !! Good luck.

terilynn112
on 11/29/10 2:15 am - maryland, NY
I'm using the same surgeon, but it's the band is junk, not how he placed it or anything else. He was great to me... and I will continue to use his services. He's a great person, and has excellent skill and bedside manor.

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Most Active