He never said D.S. was an option

brenbrit58
on 11/25/10 9:42 pm - Milton, FL
I had gained weight after my RNY and was creeping up again. OK so I went to the Dr and he said its probably my metabolism, then I saw him again after my upper G.I .and made me feel I was a greedy eating fool because found a hernia (probably from  the vomiting I had done in the beginning) and oh well maybe I am. Anyway I had tests done on my GB etc and was approved for a GB and Appendix removal, a hernia repair and having part of my intestines re-sectioned which basically lengthened my RNY to re-boost malabsorption.
I am a bit disappointed now as I have lost no FAT weight since I left the hospital and starting to feel like I won't ever get to a decent weight or size.
Yesterday I was looking at my surgeons site and there it is, he has started or has done D.S. surgeries.
He never once discussed this with me as a possible option for better weight control and now having read this and him knowing what could have been perfect for me since I get stuck or gain no matter how I eat/diet or exercise my butt off.
I am mad at myself now for not doing the research before and asking and I don't want to keep fixing my problem.
Just venting off a bit ^_^

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/10 10:53 pm - Bayonne, NJ
You have every right to vent. I'm sorry you're going through this. Please, whatever you do, make sure you keep up with your vitamins. If he revised you to an ERNY you're more likely to have vitamin abosorption issues.

I had a bad hernia post-rny, and I know it was exacerbated by all the vomiting. Ugh.

Your doc doesn't really do DS surgeries. He just puts that on his site to get people into his office. It's known as the "bait and don't switch" tactic.

Here's a list of docs who do it, and do it well:

http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html

Of them, only about 5 are good at revising someone to a DS.
WASaBubbleButt
on 11/26/10 2:34 am - Mexico
Agree with Baileymouse, I think your doctor is a putz.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
brenbrit58
on 11/26/10 10:51 am - Milton, FL
LMAO  girls !!
All due respect  Dr L is a wonderful surgeon. He has the personality of **** ant but extremely talented in the O.R.  His office credentials claim some D.S. surgeries, but if I know him he prolly would not offer them due to personal reasons or he has no faith in them working.

MsBatt
on 11/27/10 4:28 am
He may be a good surgeon, but a revision from an RNY to a DS is a VERY complex surgery, and there are only five surgeons in the US who do a true conversion---all the rest do basically what your surgeon did. I'm sorry he didn't discuss this with you---in my opinion, it's medical malpractice to not tell a patient about ALL their treatment options, even if the doctor in question cannot provide that treatment.
VBG_1998
on 1/2/11 8:13 pm
Question and I am very sincere when I ask this.

You mention only five surgeons in the US who do a true conversion....   As someone who is researching surgeons for a revision, I'm just curious how does a person find out that type of information.  I'm doing my homework mind you, checking their FACS, ASMBS, medical board and the reviews out there- but how does a person if their surgeon falls into a "top" category like how you referenced the RnY to DS revision surgeon? 

The surgeon I'm researching is looking good so far- although not sure how experienced he is with revisions.
MsBatt
on 1/3/11 6:53 am
Well, I really only know about DS surgeons, and I get my info from www.dsfacts.com The DS community sort of polices surgeons who say they do the DS. What sort of revision are you wanting? With a VBG, I'd think you probably want the most experienced out there, and these five guys are probably it. Well, six, really, because Gagner has moved to Canada, but he's really good. The others are Rabkin, Keshishian, Husted, Greenbaum, and Elariny. There are other surgeons who SAY that do an RNY-to-DS revision, but they do NOT sew the RNY stomach back together and then do a Sleeve.
VBG_1998
on 1/3/11 7:00 am
I'm looking at going to the Sleeve.  I'm not a good candidate for a procedure that requires a life long dependency on vitamin supplements.  I have serious gag issues with pills.

I was just curious how you were able to learn about who was the crem del la crem of the surgeons.  I have been to the dsfacts.com site, very itneresting.  I'm probably just not a good candidate for it though.
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/3/11 10:29 am - Mexico
On January 3, 2011 at 3:00 PM Pacific Time, VBG_1998 wrote:
I'm looking at going to the Sleeve.  I'm not a good candidate for a procedure that requires a life long dependency on vitamin supplements.  I have serious gag issues with pills.

I was just curious how you were able to learn about who was the crem del la crem of the surgeons.  I have been to the dsfacts.com site, very itneresting.  I'm probably just not a good candidate for it though.

YOu do realize, don't you, that you have to take vitamins with a sleeve?

I (am supposed) to take;

Multivitamin x2 daily
Calcium Citrate 500mg x3 daily

Then a bunch of reflux meds and assorted other stuff.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
VBG_1998
on 1/3/11 10:53 am
I did not.  I've never heard anyone else mention that.  Guess I will need to look into that. 

Thank you for the info.
Most Active