the band is gone, now I'm having second thoughts.

Kimberley H.
on 11/22/10 10:16 pm - Winston-Salem, NC

The band has been gone for one week today. I am glad it is gone, but miss the restriction and the lack of hunger. Now, I feel hungry every 2 hours.

I'm just struggling with some feelings. Maybe I need to let go of a WLS for now and give diet and exercise another go? It seems like in 2 years after the RNY I will be back at square one again anyway. I can't have the DS or sleeve because my esophagus can't handle the reflux.

I'm just struggling with a lot of feelings and the realization there is no magic bullet out there.

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/10 12:36 am
I know how you feel, I mourned the loss of my band, and I still do.  Due to late term complications I lost the band of which I had for 8 years.  I did get down to 126 lbs, lost 171 lbs and maintainted my wl for 7 years.   I had to have the band removed for a while before anyone would even look at me due to the extensive damage.  For the year I had issues and explant I gained 90 lbs, holy cow.

I too had reflux (among other things) the sleeve is not really an option for you, but the DS while of course has the sleeve, reflux is not at all common, due to the BPD portion that is diverted, you should not experience reflux.  I have not taken any PPI post DS, I was on it for months before.

Let me know if you would like more info.  I would have kept the band forever (but I knew it was temporary when I got it) the band is gone, there are other options out there.  Yes I miss my band, but that is in the past and I did what was best for me.....

Mila
TamaraL
on 11/23/10 1:35 am
Kim,

Does Dr. Champion have a psychologist on board that you can talk with or do they recommend someone.  They have a person on our team and I have been meeting with her since I decided to do the revision.

I had to deal with the fact that yes, I had reflux, pain, and stomach spasms but I also could have used my band better.  To me the RNY is a do over.  I only had 88 pounds to lose when I did my RNY but I feel so much better. I was not losing because of the insulin resistance.  With the RNY, you do have th malabsorption for the first 6 months to 1 year. I am trying to use my malabsorption time to lose as much weight as I can and then maintain.  I know that I will never be able to eat like I did before and am trying to start new eating habits with my new tool.

Tamara

Bucketta
on 11/23/10 4:25 am
Kim,  I am getting rid of my band in January and I can't wait.  Lucky for me the doctor is going to remove the band the same day he does my RNY surgery.  He said he could unfill me two weeks prior but that should be right at Christmas and I think I want to stay filled.  The main problem I have is I can't keep much down and am not losing although I have tried very hard. 

To the other person that posted did you have an easy surgery and did you have your band up until surgery date for RNY?  

I admit that I am scared and to the point that my blood pressure has gotten high again which was resolved within two months of the band.  OK the blood pressure could be from my weight gain I have experienced. 

I am interested in hearing from anyone that has revised from band to RNY and your experience. 

Kim go for the RNY people can maintain for life, it just takes work on their part. 

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

Kimberley H.
on 11/24/10 2:25 pm - Winston-Salem, NC
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Mila, I researched the DS but it seemed a lot of DSer told me they did have reflux with the DS. This really scared me because I just can't damage my esophagus anymore. My physician also told me that long-term PPIs can lead to stomach cancer. I just don't think I can risk it. The band is gone but I still have reflux. I'm glad everything has worked out for you. More surgeons need to offer the DS option.

Tamara, Dr. Champion did my band. I'm now working with Dr. Fernandez in Winston. He wants to let my stomach heal a bit before I have the RNY. I understood because I have had quite a bit of damage. The only problem is that I am nauseous all the time since the band was removed. I can't seem to eat anything without feeling sick. This may cause my BMI to drop and then WLs won't be an option for me anymore. Dr. Fernandez wants me to decide by January and if I'm ready we'll get the ball rolling for insurance approval. I still have some time to weigh my options.
How have things been for you? Has it been a smooth transition?

Jacqueline, thanks for your support. It seems every person I have spoke with who had the RNY after struggling with the band has been very happy. I have not met one person who was unhappy with their results. I think the RNY just gives your body a head start on weight-loss. I picked my facility because it is in my hometown and they offer lifetime support. They have a very active support group here and I believe people who continue to use that support do much better. I want to be able to make that commitment. I wish you all the best in January. I think you are making a good decision.

Kim

WASaBubbleButt
on 11/24/10 4:00 pm - Mexico
On November 24, 2010 at 10:25 PM Pacific Time, Kimberley H. wrote:
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Mila, I researched the DS but it seemed a lot of DSer told me they did have reflux with the DS. This really scared me because I just can't damage my esophagus anymore. My physician also told me that long-term PPIs can lead to stomach cancer. I just don't think I can risk it. The band is gone but I still have reflux. I'm glad everything has worked out for you. More surgeons need to offer the DS option.

Tamara, Dr. Champion did my band. I'm now working with Dr. Fernandez in Winston. He wants to let my stomach heal a bit before I have the RNY. I understood because I have had quite a bit of damage. The only problem is that I am nauseous all the time since the band was removed. I can't seem to eat anything without feeling sick. This may cause my BMI to drop and then WLs won't be an option for me anymore. Dr. Fernandez wants me to decide by January and if I'm ready we'll get the ball rolling for insurance approval. I still have some time to weigh my options.
How have things been for you? Has it been a smooth transition?

Jacqueline, thanks for your support. It seems every person I have spoke with who had the RNY after struggling with the band has been very happy. I have not met one person who was unhappy with their results. I think the RNY just gives your body a head start on weight-loss. I picked my facility because it is in my hometown and they offer lifetime support. They have a very active support group here and I believe people who continue to use that support do much better. I want to be able to make that commitment. I wish you all the best in January. I think you are making a good decision.

Kim
DS and sleeves don't necessarily cause reflux.  I have horrific reflux but it's due to the damage from the band, nothing to do with my sleeve.

My surgeon wants me to revise to RNY for this reason. I'm at goal so he wouldn't bypass much intestine but there isn't a chance in the world I am willing to get RNY.  I will never live with a pouch and stoma again.  I'd rather dig my eye out with a rusty nail than to go back to that.

You know, I've noticed quite a few RNYers on the main board complaining about reflux.  In your shoes, I wouldn't worry about a surgery type causing more reflux, sleeves and DS just don't have severe issues like banded people do.

Give yourself time to heal, make sure you have no hiatal hernia, and see if the reflux doesn't resolve and THEN decide on a surgery type.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Kimberley H.
on 11/25/10 8:54 pm - Winston-Salem, NC
Hey Midwesterngirl, you have done an awesome job with your weight-loss! That is so cool that you are at goal:)

WASaBubbleButt
on 11/26/10 2:30 am - Mexico
On November 26, 2010 at 4:54 AM Pacific Time, Kimberley H. wrote:
Hey Midwesterngirl, you have done an awesome job with your weight-loss! That is so cool that you are at goal:)

Thanks.

I could never in a million years maintain without the right surgery type today. ;o)

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
MsBatt
on 11/26/10 2:11 am
Just FYI---my DS cured my reflux. It's been almost seven years since I had my DS, and almost seven years since I had any reflux.

Just something to think about.
MARIA F.
on 11/29/10 4:58 am - Athens, GA
Ms. Batt............like the new pic!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active