Should I go for RNY??

jenncore
on 11/30/10 4:02 am - MA
I can completely understand why you are so confused. They are a lot of opinions and facts about each of the surgeries. There is hope, you just have to find the right surgery for you and only you can make that decision. A slipped band will cause you serious damage in the long run if not taken care of so I suggest you start there first. Weight gain sucks for anyone but keeping in a slipped band puts your health at serious risk.

Try not to get overwhelmed by all of the information you have receieved here. Research all of your options and then base your decision on what is the best fit for you. I had two lapband surgeries and just recently had a revision to a bypass. I'm not going to tell you to get a bypass because that is something you have to decide for yourself.

Hang in there and don't get discouraged! I wish you the very best!!!!

Jenn
H.A.L.A B.
on 11/26/10 2:54 am
You can't count on dumping to prevent you eating sweets.  Most people do not dump.
I developed RH (reactive hypoglycemia) that is bad.  A lot of people find out that the longer they are post op RNY - the most probable it is they will have RH.  It is not fun.  Trust me. 
I can eat sweets, and I could cheat, but that would make me gain the weight bad.  So I do not do that.  but I have to eat every 2-3 hrs, RH makes me really hungry, and it will be difficult to maintain my weight loss.  I know I will do that, but RH is nothing to joke about. 

Due to RH the list what I can safely eat is shrinking.   Can't drink wine, or may get RH, coffee may cause that, etc.  I can't eat most grains, even in small quantities.  Some fruits are out.  Some veggies are out.  Some - I can digest - so can't eat that either. 
What can I eat? meat and fish and vegetables.  Green veggies mostly.  None of the starchy type.  
Can't eat beans, or cabbage.  Carrots or  soy.  only well cooked broccoli and cauliflower. 
and so on...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

WASaBubbleButt
on 11/26/10 2:28 am - Mexico
Why would you even consider another band when you know how horrible they are and how poorly you did with it long term?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
manuvanilla
on 11/26/10 10:42 am - Stratton, Australia
Hi,

I am not considering the lap band anymore I had nothing but trouble with it but I must admit I am getting more and more confused...

There is sooo many different opinions on all other operations I am getting worried there is no hope for me...

My problem needs to be fixed but I am now not sure which operation to consider???

Emmanuelle
WASaBubbleButt
on 11/28/10 2:00 am - Mexico
On November 26, 2010 at 6:42 PM Pacific Time, manuvanilla wrote:
Hi,

I am not considering the lap band anymore I had nothing but trouble with it but I must admit I am getting more and more confused...

There is sooo many different opinions on all other operations I am getting worried there is no hope for me...

My problem needs to be fixed but I am now not sure which operation to consider???

Emmanuelle

I'm not a fan of bypass and i'll tell you why.

With bypass you only malabsorb for a couple of years.  Anywhere from 6-24 months and then you are on your own to maintain.  Many people have a problem where their stoma dilates, this is a problem because when you eat - food slides right down your esophagus, through your pouch, through your stoma and goes directly in your small intestine.  The point is nothing is holding food in your stomach and you don't feel full.  People with this problem are always hungry and after a couple of years they aren't malabsorbing anymore and then the regain starts.

After bypass you are metabolically challenged and losing a pound is NOT like losing a pound pre op, it's much much harder to lose the regain.

If you want restrictive only and if you can lose and maintain with restriction alone a sleeve is the way to go.  It's actually the safest surgery type long term.  It's like a band that actually works without trying to kill you in the meantime. ;o)

If you need malabsorption DS is the way to go,  You will malabsorb forever with that surgery type. Your food options are bigger, fewer food restrictions, you have a normal stomach albeit smaller. You continue using the valve at the bottom of your stomach that controls how fast your stomach empties, it removes the Ghrelin (hunger causing hormone) that studies show we tend to over produce, it's just an easier surgery to live with long term and stats are far superior for DS vs. RNY.

There is also Vergito and to be honest, if I ever had serious regain and actually wanted a 2nd revision, that is probably the option I would go with.  With any bypass (RNY or DS) you HAVE to take lots of vitamins and supplements for the rest of your life.  I'm just plain not responsible enough for that.  I wouldn't take them properly.  With Vergito it's just a multi vitamin daily just like bands and sleeves.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
(deactivated member)
on 11/28/10 4:54 am - IN
Get rid of the band...If you can not lose the wt. on your own  RNY...If it were me, I would try walking and good nutrition before a risky surgery.  Good luck!
Most Active