Reversal of RnY and Revision to VSG.....Need thoughts

Rick_SoCal
on 11/21/10 11:34 am - Fontana, CA
Greetings all,

New to this side of OH but not new to WLS. I had an RnY procedure back in Febuary of 2009 and have done very well with my weightloss (well in my opinion). I started my journey at 476 pounds and have lost over 170 pounds so far. I have not lost any weight for several months due to some complications.

I have developed severe hypo-glycemia and now have to eat just to keep my glucose levels up to function. We have tried all avenues to control this but to no avail. So my surgeon and PCP have come to the conclusion that my Gastric Bypass has to be reversed basically to save my life. In addition to the reversal, the have decided to perform the VSG as well since I still have a lot of weight to lose to reach my goal weight.

I would like to hear from anyone that has had the same experience or has had a revision from a RnY to the VSG. I have all the faith in the world with my surgical team and am comfortable with the procedure and my surgery is scheduled for 12/03.

Thanks for reading and have a great day all...............Rick
Group Effort: It is the ability to work together which determines success"
OH Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/prep4success/
sosoclark
on 11/21/10 11:35 pm - Sacramento, CA
Hi Rick,

I have had a revision to VSG but I am scheduled for a revision to DS. I am sure someone will chime in and give you some good information. I just want to say that you really lost a lot of weight with the RNY and I am sure you will do well with your revision.

Sophia
dmle_04
on 11/22/10 3:08 am - Fremont, IN
I had RNY in 2007. In 2009, I had to have a revision due to ulcers. I currently have an ulcer again. My surgeon wants to reverse my surgery all together. I have reached my weight loss goal, but I am FREAKING out. I'm so very afraid that I will gain the weight back. Also, I'm not prepared to go through the pain of another surgery. I have had chronic ulcers now for two years or so. They are not any fun. My surgeon will only do one revision. After that, the reversal. I'm sorry for the situation that you are in. I know it has to be weighing heavy on your mind. Congratulations on your weight loss. It is quit the accomplishment. You should be very proud of yourself. God Bless you :)
(deactivated member)
on 11/22/10 6:16 am - Bayonne, NJ
I revised from the RNY to the DS, the first half of which was the VSG. I'm thrilled! I can eat normally, just not huge amounts. No reflux, no vomiting, no more hypoglycemia, etc. I had this done on Dec. 21 last year.

It's a complicated surgery, to take down the pouch, reattach the stomach and then create the sleeve, but I swear, it's like night and day. I can't believe I put up with the problems for so long. I wish you the very best and hope you're as happy with the new stomach as I am.
Most Active