Band to RNY on Monday - Words of Advice?

SlamminTam
on 11/21/10 2:47 am
I'm having my lap band removed on Monday and being revised to an RNY (open surgery).  I'm pretty nervous about it and I keep reassuring myself that I've made the right decision.  Anyone else gone from band to RNY in one surgery?  What was your experience?  Anyone else having the same surgery soon?  Let's support each other!
cope1951
on 11/21/10 5:33 am
Just did this on Monday, November 15 except mine was not open surgery, it was laporscopic. Much different experience than the lap band for me. Lots of emotions rearing their ugly little heads. Still not sure it was the right decision. Only time will tell. I'm much more tired. Hope you're going to be in the hospital for awhile. I was in for 3 days and I needed it. Pretty much out of it entire day of surgery - vaguely remember family members there in the evening. Got up to use the restroom at one point. Tuesday was a little better. More mobility but like I said mine was laporscopic. Went home Wed afternoon late. I'm walking and drinking my protein drinks but having bad diarrhea - not fun. Keep me posted on your progress.
SlamminTam
on 11/21/10 7:59 am
Thanks for explaining how things have gone for you.  From what I've read from others, what you're experiencing is pretty normal.  I hear this surgery has a way of really wiping you out.  I hope your diarrhea goes away soon!  Have you asked your doc if that's to be expected?
jelting134
on 11/21/10 8:10 am
I am waiting to see if insurance (BCBC/Federal) will approve the revision from lapband to RYN - if so, I am scheduled for surgery on 12/26. 

I am 7 yrs down with lapband and only 30 lbs less that what I was the day of surgery.  At my lowest point (about 6mths after the band) is was only down 40 -- I have stayed within 5 pounds of where I am now for about 6 years, but cant get back down. 

I am 5'2" and weighing between 193-199.  Anyone else out there w/BCBS-Federal that has applied for a revision?
Diane G.
on 11/22/10 4:46 am - Smithtown, NY
RNY on 07/25/05 with
Yes!  BCBS has been amazing for me.  They approved all of my surgeries within MINUTES of the paperwork being submitted.  I've never had a problem with them.

My surgeries in order were:

2005- Gastric Bypass
2008 - Gall Bladder removal, lysis of adhesions, double internal hernia repair
2008 - Appendectomy, lysis of adhesions, single internal hernia repair
Feb 2010 - Installation of Lap Band
May 2010 - Laparoscoic lysis of adhesions, internal hernia repair
Sep 2010 - Emergency removal of Lap Band
Nov 15, 2010 - Repair/revision of gastric bypass, removal of ulcerated tissue, lysis of adhesions, internal hernia repair

And, they have already approved a revision of the Y part of the gastric byass at a future date.  This past surgery has been so unbelievably painful though, I don't see myself going under the knife for anything else ever again unless it is an absolute emergency. 

WASaBubbleButt
on 11/29/10 6:41 am - Mexico
On November 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM Pacific Time, Diane G. wrote:
Yes!  BCBS has been amazing for me.  They approved all of my surgeries within MINUTES of the paperwork being submitted.  I've never had a problem with them.

My surgeries in order were:

2005- Gastric Bypass
2008 - Gall Bladder removal, lysis of adhesions, double internal hernia repair
2008 - Appendectomy, lysis of adhesions, single internal hernia repair
Feb 2010 - Installation of Lap Band
May 2010 - Laparoscoic lysis of adhesions, internal hernia repair
Sep 2010 - Emergency removal of Lap Band
Nov 15, 2010 - Repair/revision of gastric bypass, removal of ulcerated tissue, lysis of adhesions, internal hernia repair

And, they have already approved a revision of the Y part of the gastric byass at a future date.  This past surgery has been so unbelievably painful though, I don't see myself going under the knife for anything else ever again unless it is an absolute emergency. 

Sept of 2010 you had your band removed via emergency surgery, may I ask what happened?

You are the first band over bypass - band removal I have seen posting.  I was just wondering if there are band issues unique to bypass folks.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
hoping4june
on 11/29/10 11:59 pm - MN
 What is the deal with BCBS?  Why are they so inconsistent regarding their approvals/denials.  For me, they approved removal of the band due to relux that has caused ulcers of my esophagus, night time cough, regurgitation, and three times having my band deflated...but, they denied payment for revision!  Share your secret!
"What the caterpillar thought was the end of life, the butterfly realized was just the beginning!"

byebyeband
on 11/21/10 1:25 pm - CA
Hey Tam~
I am having my band removed tomorrow and switching to RNY too!  Mine will be laproscopic too (hopefully) but I am ready to do this.  Please keep in touch with me...we can share/swap stories (good, bad and the ugly).

Good luck!

Pamela

Debba
on 11/23/10 4:23 am - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
I had my band to RNY revision done in May 2009 and so glad I did.  In one fell swoop I had the band removed, a hiatal hernia repaired, and the RNY.  Surgery was done on Tuesday and I was released on Friday.  My surgery started out lap, but ended up open due to scar tissue so I was in the hospital maybe one more day than normal.  Pain level was no more than the band surgery (I didn't use any pain meds at home after either surgery - just tylenol).  The most pain was from the area where the port was removed. 

Funny, the reason I opted for the band in the first place was because I was so afraid of the more invasive RNY.  Having my plumbing re-routed scared me to death.  Turned out to be no big deal.  It's like one of those "shoulda had a V-8" moments.  I haven't puked, slimed, got "stuck" or had reflux since the RNY.  I've lost a total of 90 lbs. and my BMI is in the normal range (just barely, but it's there).   

The band was OK, but I'm so glad I had the revision and I think you will be, too.

Debbie Joy
Lapband 10/06
Revised to RNY 5/09

MARIA F.
on 11/29/10 5:45 am - Athens, GA
U will do much better with RNY than the band I'm sure!

The only advice I have for u is to please post on the band forum! There are ppl looking at the band forum everyday that are considering the band. Those of us that have NOT had good band experiences should make others aware of what the band can REALLY be like, in hopes that they will then not have to go through what we have...............only to end up revising to a better surgery anyway!

Don't we all wish someone had told us in advance what the band was REALLY like??? If so............show the prospective bandsters the same respect and compassion that we wish we were shown prior to getting the band!!! Make a difference in their lives! Give them the knowledge to make an INFORMED decision about the band!

Most Active