Somewhat good news

kim W.
on 11/19/10 10:46 pm - west des moines, IA
Went to see the surgeon's office that did my RYN back in 2004. The origanal surgeon is no longer working there. I have not seen the office since 2005. I know bad right. Well met with a really nice surgeon.
When going in the nurse asked me if I ever had my Vit checked, had to tell her no never. She kinda rolled her eyes at me and asked if I would be able to get them check that day. Then the surgeon cam in and I spilled my guts to him. I told him everything that was on my mind and everything weird going on with me. He then checked me out by feeling me up. Said right off the bat he thought I had a nice sized hernia. This part of love. He sits down and say What would you like to get out of this, I explain that I would like to have a revision to DS. He starts to tell me that this is something that only a few do and it can be tricky but then says there are a few in the area that we can try. I was blown away, I really thought he was going to shut me down and tell me no to stay with them and have my RNY fixed. So he then he says lets see whats going on in there first then see. So I was ushered to the hospital wing for blood tests on my Vits and then a CT scan. That was fun, for the first time ever they could not find a vein. Kinda got me worried.
So now just waiting on what the results show so we can get this show on the road.
I do know I can not have surgery till the begining of the year because my insurance changes to Aetna. Wish me luck...One last question, how long should I wait before calling the office on the results?
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/10 7:30 am
I am not sure what surgeon you are going to see, but I believe there are only a handful of drs to go a rny to ds revision.  Dr Keshasian, Rabkin, Greenbaum and Gagner........be heatlhy

Mila
Ladytazz
on 11/20/10 10:22 am
Please do not get a DS. In fact you shouldn't have surgery at all. You have gone 6 years without lab work? If you can't be compliant with lab work then the DS is very dangerous for you. You will need hundreds of dollars a month of supplements and regular lab work to check for deficiencies. Malabsorption is nothing to mess with. If I were a surgeon I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pool. This is one of the main reasons that the DS is not being done any more in places. The rate of follow up is low and too many patients are coming back malnurished, many with problems that can't be fixed. Your best bet would be a sleeve if someone would revise you. Even then you have to supplement and follow up but the dangers are a little lower.
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/10 5:42 am - Bayonne, NJ
What kept you from getting lab work done and following up with vitamins? All WLS patients should have yearly check-ups.

BTW, many RNY people can and do get vitamin deficiencies, it's not just a DS problem. I became severely anemic after my RNY, and I'm actually doing better post-DS.

kim W.
on 11/22/10 12:27 am - west des moines, IA
After hearing that my surgeon left the Grinnell office I thought that was it. At the time my surgeon was not very informative and did not make a point of the need for checkups on Vits. Plus for the past 5 years I have been to busy to even think about my own health, After reading up on revisions was the first time I really found that Vits are that important.
I have no issues with take Vitamins as long as some one tells me what I need to take and how often.
Now I got a call from the nurse about my labs. She said they are not that bad. Need to take calcium and a b12 shot.  My CT scan showed no obstructions but I do have a hernia.
Sorry that you feel so strongly about me not taking my Vitamins. If my surgeon had expressed the great need I would have done so. But he really just told me to take a multi vit and should be ok. I know now that he was not a great chose to make for a surgeon.
Most Active