What were your reasons for revision from LB to RNY?

Cheryl N.
on 11/18/10 10:05 am - Des Moines, WA

I am considering sorta to revise from lapband to RNY, will talk about it in January with my surgeon, am giving it two more months.

I am NOT anti-band. 

My weight was 231 at surgery date and now at 181 .... and my lapband was installed 1/28/09.  My body quit losing weight around end of Sept 09.  

I haven't been working out much since May due to elbow surgery and then emergency surgery in July .   AM getting back in it.

It is very easy to cheat and eat around the band.

I had to have two unfills  Sept 09 and Sept 10.  Can't seem to find the restriction, my band seems to be very psycho. 

For a week before my period, I eat everything in sight.... sometimes throw it back up, and then right when my period starts, my band likes to play slamming games, it will slam close and then wide open .... it's just crazy.

I am just sick of all this.

I told my surgeon that I was thinking of revision and he is all for it and that we would talk about it in January.

So for those of you that had revision from band to RNY, how has that been for you? 

I am still terrified about having RNY.  

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

brenbrit58
on 11/18/10 10:33 am - Milton, FL
you seem to be doing ok with your band weight loss, but if you are not happy and can't find that sweet spot with it, look into ALL your options. Look around the failed weight loss board too and ask lots of Q's as to why this happend. Good luck.
Cheryl N.
on 11/18/10 10:48 am - Des Moines, WA

My surgeon only does lapband and RNY.

How can you say that I 'm doing ok with weight loss?  I have been between 175 -180 since Sept 2009!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

MARIA F.
on 11/18/10 12:23 pm - Athens, GA

There are other surgeons. Make sure u get the best surgery for u this time! It is work the extra drive to get what u feel would be the best surgery for U!

As far as the band............well I'm sure u know my experience with it! It has been a total nightmare! Complete waste of money!!!

And though I see that it does work for SOME ppl...........if u follow the band forum as I have, I'm sure u have noticed that those ppl are few and far between. Even the ones that have lost weight..........Bette, Jean, Kate..........they have all had to have 2nd surgery b/c of band complications.

Cheryl there are a lot more ppl like us than u think! However they see how so many ppl have gotten bashed on the band forum when they bring up their band issues, so a lot of ppl are afraid to post on there! It's very sad b/c then the ones that need the support the most are the ones that have to go without it!!!

I do hope u revise b/c I have just seen sooooooo many ppl on there waste YEARS trying to get their band to work the way we were told that it would work!!!

I put everything into working WITH the band! That is why I have lost weight. I knew that I needed to change my diet to be healthier and that the band is not a "magic cure" as some ppl have accused me of thinking. Well I did my part, but other than the 1st 2 wks. after surgery when I had no appetite b/c of the swelling the band has NOT done what it is suppose to do!!! As u know the mentality on the band forum is to blame the bandster NOT the band! Well Cheryl u know in your heart what is to blame for u not having more weight loss............so do what u need to do to get healthy!!!

Good luck!
_rebecca
on 11/18/10 1:53 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with

Hi there,

I have a failed lapband.  I was self pay and have had a leak for the past three years so I couldn't affort to fix it.  Then the tubing broke off and has been poking me all over.  Serious pain!!!  Have you thought about the Vertical Sleeve?  I am having a revision to the sleeve next month (thank goodness I don't have an insurance exclusion anymore). I like the sleeve because it takes away the part of your stomach that produces the appetite hormone.  Plus they don't reroute your intestines, so there is no malabsorption issues.  Since you are in the 180's (WOW), it might be something you might want to consider.  The data is showing the sleeve perfoming as well as RYN in the five year studies.  Good luck with whatever you decide!

candie33
on 11/18/10 10:46 pm

I am in the process of seeking a revision from the lapband. I got the lapband put in in 2008...I have not been successful at all.  Although I did lose about 65 pounds I never reached the so called "sweet spot". I feel like I have worked really really hard to lose that.  I am still obese, and I still have my HBP, Diabetes and issues with my knee.  Me and the band were not a good marriage. Although people say they love the band, I believe that the band is a lot more work then people expected. When I was newly banded I really wanted the band to work for me , even up up until now I have questioned why the band has not worked for me. I talked to my surgeon  and he was very understanding saying that they are finding that the band is not as effective as they thought it would be and not to blame myself . So now I am ready to put this chapter behind me and move on. As Maria stated more people need to come out and tell their story because people still need to be supported with whatever decision they make.     

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/10 1:28 am
Cheryl N.
on 11/19/10 1:36 am - Des Moines, WA
Well, I am with Group Health and it's limited.. but I will discuss this with surgeon....

TamaraL
on 11/19/10 2:35 am
I worked my band for a year and 10 months. I ate like I was supposed to, exercised 4-5 days/week.  I had heart burn like crazy and then I started having spasms around the band and pain.  I, too could never get to restriction.  I did not throw up a whole lot but would get a sour stomach sometimes.  I think the band can work for some people, I just wasnt one of those.

I would also check with my insurance and see what the requirements are for a revision.

Tamara

Cheryl N.
on 11/19/10 2:49 am - Des Moines, WA
Repeat Bariatric Surgery is covered when one of the following is true:
Had previous vertical banding procedure
a.
Has experienced weight loss that is less than 50% of excess weight over a two year period
b.
Documentation of compliance with prescribed nutrition and exercise program

Most Active