Revision with Aetna

mixman98
on 11/15/10 11:35 pm - New Castle, DE
  Hello everyone.  I am in the starting the process of getting the revision surgery from the Lap Band to the Vert Sleeve.  My surgeon already submitted the claim for approval and now the waiting begins.  Has anyone had this done using the Aetna insurance co.?  Do they require you to take the 12 wk classes all over again even though I already went through them before the band surgery?  My surgeon said I should just have to meet with the dietician and have a new psych exam.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks
                                                                                                                      Larry
millikan01
on 11/16/10 12:27 am
I had Aetna.  They only had my doctor show medical necessity for the revision, ie BMI, insufficient weight loss from previous surgery, and co-morbidities.  They did not require any classes on my part.  I had another psych and dietary consult before submitting my paperwork.  I submitted it one day, got the approval almost instantly, and then scheduled surgery for 3 weeks later.
RNY 9/24/08
Surgery Weight - 344.4 
Revision to DS 9/22/10
Surgery Weight - 231.0 
Plastics 4/14/11 
Surgery Weight - 211.0
Current Weight - 179.8
Goal Weight - 160.0
I am staring at Ambition, shaking hands with Success, and smiling at Determination - What are YOU doing? *smirk*

"They ON IT cause they WANT IT!"

sophielyn
on 11/16/10 2:46 am
I had Aetna.  They verbally approved me within 2 days then sent a denial letter; my surgeon then called for a peer to peer where he told them I had a complete mechanical breakdown of previous surgery, high bmi, high blood pressure, borderline diabetic and they approved instantly.  Surgery was 2 weeks after.  Start to finish... 3 weeks.
kim W.
on 11/16/10 3:44 am - west des moines, IA
Wonderful to hear about Aetna, I am switching to them in January because I read they will pay under our plan with my company. But the thought always sits there on what if they do not approve. I hope the office I want to go to is within the network and do not have to pay as much.
Most Active