Lap Band to VSG revision question???

C J
on 11/14/10 8:35 am - , TN
I need some advice...I had lap band 2008 and had around 45lbs weight loss....I then was persistent enough that I had my band filled too tight....I had problems after that....food constantly getting stuck...started eating slider foods...I really had a difficult time physically and emotionally because I felt like such a failure.  I have decided to have my band removed, but I am now considering a revision to VSG....I was considering it from the beginning, but my insurance wouldn't pay at the time b/c it was considered investigational...well anyway now it is covered...hopefully b/c Im changing from Humana to Aetna the one in a lifetime rule wont apply b/c same work place different ins companies. 

At any rate I am needing some advice...How is wt loss with the sleeve...does food get stuck...etc. etc...Please give me all of the pro's and cons b/c at this point I feel lie a total failure....Any input appreciated....

Thanks,
Christa

Living > Existing

256/231/135

_rebecca
on 11/14/10 8:43 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
I am having a revison to the sleeve in December.  I have been researching a lot.  From my understanding, food does not get stuck, but you can throw up if you eat too much or too fast.  Don't feel bad, as many of us with the band are having it removed.  They do not work.  I started having severe pain and found out that my tubing broke off and is poking me in the side.  No wonder my band would never hold the fluid and I lost restriction! They don't even list that as a complication!  I think they should have to. I wish you the best of luck in getting your sleeve approved.   
C J
on 11/14/10 8:59 am - , TN
Thank you so much for your response...good luck with your revision!!!!!  Please keep me posted ...feel free to send me messages!!!

Thanks
Christa

Living > Existing

256/231/135

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/10 12:39 pm - Midlothian, TX
i'm a revison.   i went from the band to sleeve in june. 

i love the sleeve so much more than the band.   the sleeve does everything the band should do.
i no longer get food stuck or vomit when i eat.    i dont get the foamies anymore either.

as with any surgery, the weight loss is different for everyone.   you should check out the VSG board - there are tons of us there who went from band to sleeve.
MARIA F.
on 11/14/10 3:03 pm - Athens, GA

It is so sad that soooooooo many bandsters will  fall for that "least invasive" crap and waste time and money on the band! It is bad enough that we have put ourselves through an ineffective surgery. I hate that so many bandsters that have gone through that won't be able to get a revision through their insurance companies b/c of so many now having the "one WLS per lifetime" stipulation. Very glad that your insurance companies have changed so this won't affect u!

And a note to the other ladies...............Please speak up on the Band Forum! Those that are researching the band NEED to hear your stories! This may save someone else from getting the band that might not be lucky enough to have a revision!!! You don't want them to make the same mistakes we made do u???

FormerlyFluffy.com

candie33
on 11/14/10 11:50 pm
I agree with Maria....we do need to start speaking up because it is said that so many of us are having to revise.  
jerseydr12
on 11/15/10 1:19 am
Hi Christa:

Thank you for posting your experience.  I am also a Lap-Bander and unfortunately this has not been a pleasant nor a successful experience.  I am thrilled to hear you will be able to get a revision to the sleeve, everyone I know has been pleased with their revision.

Wishing you much luck and success!

Maura 
MRS.GLOVER
on 11/15/10 1:54 am
Well I too have the band and I was approved for the RNY to be done one this Thursday. I too was like you and got too beside myself and allowed my fills to be to much and it caused problems. I also looked at the sleeve but it's not covered under my insurance so I am going for the Gastric. I am too excited and wish me luck, I wish you luck as well.

Hislady
on 11/15/10 12:54 pm - Vancouver, WA
I've been reading the VSG forum alot because guess what my band is useless too! Doubt I'll be able to revise but if I ever could I'd for sure go VSG because from what I've read it works the way the band is "supposed to" but doesn't. Best of luck to you!
MARIA F.
on 11/15/10 2:47 pm - Athens, GA

Hmmmmmmmmmm. All these useless bands! I believe we're seeing a trend here ladies! Anyone else noticed that the revisions are extremely disproportionate with the band as opposed to the other WLS's? I thought so!

Best of luck with your revisions!!!
Most Active