Surgery Wars.....unfortunately

MsBatt
on 11/15/10 4:57 am
Oh, so this is Brock? Who used to have Stewie as his avatar? Interesting...
indygirl
on 11/17/10 7:46 am - indianapolis, IN
You took the words right out of my mouth MsBatt LOL!!!
terilynn112
on 11/14/10 2:23 pm - maryland, NY
I totally agree with Tamara. She's an excellent source for information.

That said, I'm a lapbanded, waiting on a revision to RNY. WHy? Because like Tamara, there was no finding restriction, reflux, and pain upon eating/drinkin. Time to go... Anyway, no one can force you to do anything. But considering following Tamara's reply, step back and consider are you following bariatric eating rules? Are you drinking with your meals? Are you getting enough protein, and not to much carbs? I know the band allows you to eat what you want, but are you eating to many sweets or soft foods, or slider foods? I wish you nothing but the best.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/10 7:28 pm
Thanks for your good advice and kind words.
Michelle F.
on 11/17/10 1:42 am
I have to disagree that the band doesn't work, I lost 112 pounds in 10 months and have kept almost all of it off after 2 1/2 years,  but I do agree that it doesn't work for everyone, possibly not even most people.  That being said, I'm on my second slip in the last 4 months so I'm going for a revision to the sleeve.  I didn't have a problem for the first 2 years but now it is obviously not working for me so I need to do something else.  I know that I can't keep this weight off myself so I'm planning on fighting my insurance if they deny the revision.
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

WASaBubbleButt
on 11/17/10 4:26 am - Mexico
On November 17, 2010 at 9:42 AM Pacific Time, Michelle F. wrote:
I have to disagree that the band doesn't work, I lost 112 pounds in 10 months and have kept almost all of it off after 2 1/2 years,  but I do agree that it doesn't work for everyone, possibly not even most people.  That being said, I'm on my second slip in the last 4 months so I'm going for a revision to the sleeve.  I didn't have a problem for the first 2 years but now it is obviously not working for me so I need to do something else.  I know that I can't keep this weight off myself so I'm planning on fighting my insurance if they deny the revision.

If the band works you wouldn't be needing a revision.  It's one thing to get the weight off, but the tool needs to continue working long term in order for it to actually "work", right?

I lost 108# in 10 months with the band, but it doesn't do me any good to have a band since it about killed me.

The band simply isn't safe.  I really don't understand why people are even getting bands when sleeves are so much more effective and hands down, safer.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Zee Starrlite
on 11/17/10 6:40 am
Two slips is a lot of slips!  I wish you the very best with your Sleeve!

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Michelle F.
on 11/17/10 11:21 pm

True, the band didn't work permanently for me, it has worked for several people I know who have had it for 8 years without any complications.  Unfortunately I wasn't one of them so yes a revision is needed.  And yes 2 slips is ridiculous!  So today I see my surgeon.  Thankfully I called my insurance and they will cover a revision to the sleeve!

Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

WASaBubbleButt
on 11/17/10 4:29 am - Mexico
On November 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM Pacific Time, MinnesotaFlab wrote:
Sorry I seem to have hit a nerve.  I'll go back to a more supportive board.
By supportive I take it that you want everyone to pat your head and agree with you.  That's not support, that is exactly the opposite.  Sometimes a dose of reality is a good thing.

You are the one that claims we are ignorant if we don't believe the band works.  So stop your belly aching and whining, work your band and lose weight.

Simple enough, right?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Lynn C
on 11/17/10 8:46 am
Brock there are no surgery wars on the revision board - are you truly looking for info on a revision or are you just feeling bad?

Face it - its a fact, the band does not work long term for the majority of people.  Especially those that have 100+ lbs to lose.  There are better options and like me you might want to jump on that train before it leaves the station - I wasn't willing to wait for my band to shred my esophagus before I revised.

Saying "the band works I got to goal" means nothing when your back up with in 50 lbs of your starting weight.  Saying "the band is a great tool and works" when you've had a slip twice in four months - come on people WAKE UP. Where the hell is the band brainwashing coming from.

Its OK to admit the band was a bad choice - it didn't work, time to pull on the adult underoos and fix it or stop complaining and work the tool.

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Most Active