PLEASE HELP!

katie42582
on 11/13/10 5:00 am - Ithaca, NY
Hi everyone-

I had lap-band surgery in March of 2009 and I hit the ground running...By December '09 I had lost almost 80 lbs, felt GREAT and was running 12 miles per week...But then I developed a knee injury from running too much (as well as a stress fracture in my lower femur). I was unable to run for almost 3 months but made up for it with elliptical work etc...so this did not hinder my weight loss.

I went on a 2 week vacation abroad with my family in Dec. '09 and that's when things fell apart. Being pulled away from my routine and the foods I was used to eating threw me completely off course. When I returned I only gained a couple pounds but could not get back into an exercise routine. I then had a fill that ended up giving me too much restriction. I waited way too long (and I know it) to see my surgeon and get fluid removed from my band, but I was regurgitating a lot and eating was AWFUL. Sometimes the protein shakes wouldn't even go down. So I had some fluid removed which allowed me to eat...hurray for that, but it also caused significant weight re-gain. So I had more fluid put back in...it was too tight, and on and on it went. Now the band is looser and it's easier for me to eat, which is great because the pain of getting food stuck and having to regurgitate it all the time sucks...but there are still foods I cannot tolerate...If the band is tightened I will be miserable again and won't be able to eat...I find sugary foods go down MUCH easier so I am drawn to these poor choices...

I am subsequently considering a revision to RNY (it's the only other surgery my insurance will cover)...Anyone who has had lap-band and had a revision I would be forever grateful if you would share your story with me. I have excellus BC/BS...anyone else with this insurace have a revision? Were they willing to cover it? Do I need to wait a certain amount of time before they will? I have tried everything to get back in the groove and I am very happy with the lap-band but I think I was fooling myself to think I could control my impulse to eat sweets. I want to be done with them forever...I JUST went to the store today because I needed new jeans. I only fit into 3 pairs right now....and I never thought I'd be BACK in this position after LB surgery so I gave away all my bigger clothes a long time ago...I was able to get down to 185 from 260 with the band...but now I'm back up to 215 and back in a size 18.....I want to get this taken care of before it gets any worse...

Any advice is much appreciated...specifically anyone who has gone through something similar. Are you happy you made the choice to have a revision? Did you have major problems with your insurance company? ETC ETC...THANK YOU!!!!
MARIA F.
on 11/13/10 6:48 am - Athens, GA
Best of luck with the revision. I would revise if I could afford it! The band has been a nightmare!!!

They NEVER tell u before surgery that some ppl never reach restriction! Like u, some are either too loose or too tight. NO happy medium!!!

Check with your insurance company as soon as possible. A lot of companies that don't have the policy already are adding a "one WLS per lifetime" stipulation. (I would think that all the revisions b/c of failed bands is what has motivated this!)

Good luck!
byebyeband
on 11/13/10 7:46 am - CA
I had the band placed in April 07.  I am switching to RNY on Nov 22.  It didn't work for me...and I feel the band and I both failed!

Good luck...I am sooo glad I am going to do this...I am ready to FINALLY lose some weight!

Pamela
oneprincess2
on 11/14/10 12:18 am - new bern, NC
Hey Pamela,

Our time is almost here! I am getting a little nervous about the pain part but other than that I am excited about this new journey! I am SOOOOO READY to lose weight! I am will keep you posted on Friday how everything went. Let's Go!
_rebecca
on 11/13/10 10:46 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
I completely understand!  I have a failed lapband and I am having revision VSG on December 20th.  I would try to appeal for the sleeve and see if you can have it approved.  Hang in there.  I know it is so frustrating living with these bands.  I would never have had mine put in if I knew what I know now.  I really do believe the sleeve will take over the band as all the lapband complications surface.
TamaraL
on 11/13/10 10:22 pm
I had the lap band January 2009 and lost 55 pounds from January 2009 until November 2009.  THen no weight loss. I also had severe reflux.  We did a EGD, several upper GI's.  I would have heart burn with no fluid in the band.

I have Blue Cross Blue Shields and they strangely covered the gastric bypass but not the removal of the band if the surgery was done in 1 surgery.  If they did 2 surgeries then they would have paid for both.

I would check with your insurance and go over the morbid obesity policy for WLS.  Will they cover a revision?? When will they cover the revision??  My policy said that there had to be a medical necessity before they would cover it.  I had the heart burn, had not lost much and then I started having pain around the stomach/band.  I also had these strange muscle spasms in which I couldn't sleep.  Also I had to still have a BMI of 35 or more and co morbidities.  I still had sleep apnea. 

I am so happy with my revision to RNY.  I do think you have to resolve whatever eating issues you had before.  I had grazing issues and am still working on that.  THey say in order for a revision to work eating issues have to be resolved.  I can't eat sugary foods because I dump so I avoid them at all cost!!

Tamara

oneprincess2
on 11/14/10 12:23 am - new bern, NC
Hi, my Lap-band journey wasn't that great, I lost 35lbs and then the weight loss stop plus the reflux was kicking my butt. But for my mom it worked great, she has lost almost 100lbs. Some it works for and others it doesn't. I am having the revision to RNY this Friday 19th. I am excited about finally losing the weight so that we can one day have a child. I can't tell you what to do, but if the band isn't working right now I would move on to something else. I have BC-BS also and they are covering the RNY for me. I will pray for you and hope that everything goes well!
katie42582
on 11/14/10 4:03 am - Ithaca, NY
Thank you very much for your advice...Glad the insurance is covering the surgery for you. I have so many food intolerances and pain when I eat even with less fluid in the band that I am almost ready to have it removed...There are days when I think diet and exercise would be easier because at least I wouldn't have so many problems physically eating...

I am sorry that so many people are having issues with the band, but it is also comforting to know I'm not alone. I thought I was doing something wrong; that I was failing the band.....But at this point I think that it is failing me and I don't want to regain all the weight I lost.

Good luck with your journey! I wish you much success!
StillHopefulinAZ
on 11/14/10 8:44 am
I had the lapband done in Sept of 07 and just had it removed last month.  I went in for revision and because the band had slipped so bad I couldn't get RNY done at the same time.  I go back on Dec 17 to have RNY done.  I have BCBS of AZ.  They approved everything.  Good luck! 
Banded 10/05/07 Dr Lopez Corvala Tijuana Mexico
Lapband removal 10/07/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ
RNY 12/13/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ

cindywebb1667
on 11/15/10 2:25 am - Romeoville, IL
I had lap band surgery in July 2007 and similar to your story lost 80 pounds - fell off the wagon and gained it all back.  Band too tight - then too loose - surgeon just said I wasn't eating right - but I craved sweets all the time ????  Anyway in 2009 after trying everything under the sun to lose it - I asked BCBS of IL for a revision to DS.  They denied me because they said there had to be a physical failure of the band to warrant revision surgery. 

Make sure if you can to have a doctor document and prove the physical failure of your band before submitting your request for a revision.  Once denied its hard to get approved.   I know because I"m still trying   :-( 

Grandma Cindy
326/286/140 (start/current/goal)

Most Active