Learning about revision

NJ_Princess
on 11/10/10 12:47 pm - NJ
Hi, I am new! This is my first post.

I had RNY 11/05. When I started considering RNY I was 286 lbs. I started taking synthroid for an underactive thyroid and was told by the doctor I would lose weight instead I ended up at 303 when I had my surgery.  My lowest weight after surgery was 203 but that was for a very short time I was pretty much maintaining a weight of 210, then my weight went up to about 225 and recently I was as high as 242.  I have been dieting and exercising for 2 months and takingphentermine for a month and I am down to 230 lbs. 

I had never read or heard anything about revision surgery.  When I found out there was revision surgery I went to Barix where I had my first surgery and saw the surgeon *****placed my surgeon.  He only does lap band over RNY and didn't think it was good for me do to scar tissue - i have had several abdominal surgiers and my original RNY was open due to scar tissue.  He recommended stomaphyx while researching that procedure I found this websit and ended up contacting Dr. Greenbaum who is currently not doing revision to DS he is doing Distal RNY which doesn't seem to work as well as DS per the info I have read on this board. 

I am looking for input I really don't want to get more surgery but I don't know what to do.  I feel like such a failure. I know many people who have had RNY and have been so successful. I feel like a failure.  Is Distal RNY something I should even consider?

sophielyn
on 11/11/10 6:30 am
Has anyone suggested a scope to look and see whats going on with your pouch? Has it stretched?  I just had a revision to RNY from an old VBG.  I suggest you find a surgeon who does revisions and maybe look into the DS.  This is a surgery that requires a very skilled surgeon and I would NOT let just anyone attempt it.  Maybe post your question on the DS board.  Did your original surgeon ever offer advice or explanation as to why your weight loss was never as much as anticipated?  Hope you find answers..best of luck to you.
NJ_Princess
on 11/11/10 8:43 am - NJ
A scope seems like a good idea.  My surgeon seemed to think that I needed to eat less and exercise more even though I was following the program and exercising. Basically all the surgeons say its just a tool and you need to eat better and exercise. The surgeon I saw *****placed my surgeon basically said at this point after RNY you once again feel hunger and being on antidepressants (which I have taken for 12 years and need to continue to take) make you eat more and have more hunger. And your body adjusts to RNY and the malabsorption stops.  Its so hard.  The DS seems to be very popular on this board but I worry about having another extensive surgery. Dr. Greenbaum is trying to do less radical surgeries by doing distal RNY. I guess I just don't want to fail after another surgery. Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it.
buckridge
on 11/12/10 1:03 am

I think your instincts to investigate and thoroughly research the DS procedure to see if it is right for you is the best approach.

I personally know several people who have had great success with converting their failed procedures to the DS. Like you, the procedures they chose failed them; they were not failures.

My suggestion is to contact Dr Rabkin's office in SF or Dr Keshishian's office in LA to see about a consultation(over the phone) to discuss your situation.They, along with Dr Greenbaum are considered the best in this arena. Or check out their websites to read more specific testimonials from their patients who have had Revisional surgery to the DS. 

I knew Dr Greenbaum was in high demand for the DS revisions on the East coast but I hadn't heard that he wasn't doing them anymore. He was trained by Dr Rabkin.

Best of luck
NJ_Princess
on 11/12/10 7:03 am - NJ
Thank you Buckridge.  Dr. Greenbaum is not doing conversion to DS at this time but may start doing them again in the Summer. I am not sure why he isn't doing them now. I know his reputation is excellent which is why I thought since he is doing distal rny it might be better than I originally thought but I am doubting that now.  I don't know if my insurance would cover surgery in California but I will definitely call the doctors you suggested and do my research. Thank you!
(deactivated member)
on 11/13/10 12:57 am
MsBatt
on 11/12/10 6:20 am
I suggest you talk with Vitalady (Michelle Curran). Both she and her husband are more than 15 years post-op from distal RNYs, and I've heard her describe the distal RNY as "the worst of both worlds"---a high degree of malabsorption---even higher than the DS!---coupled with a pouch and all its problems.

Before I'd have a distal RNY I'd at least explore all my other options. I'm seven years (almost) post-op from my DS, and I LOVE it!
NJ_Princess
on 11/12/10 7:10 am - NJ
Wow the worst of both worlds doesn't sound good at all!  May I ask why you love your DS? I am concerned about the recovery. I had open RNY and it was tough and I am sure the revision will be worse!  I have had nine surgeries (7 in the last nine years). I have too much scar tissue for it to do it laproscopically. 

I will contact Vitalady.  Thanks for you response!
MsBatt
on 11/13/10 5:01 am
I love my DS because it's given me the most 'normal' life I've ever had. I was put on my first diet at age 9, and my first diet pills at age 11. By the time I was seriously considering WLS at age 45, I was sick to death of dieting!!! With my DS, I don't 'diet'---at almost seven years post-op, I still have enough restriction that I can't overeat. This doesn't mean I can't eat the wrong things, but fortunately I was born a carnivore, and 'protein first' just comes naturally for me.

I love having a fully-functional stomach---the whole pouch/stoma thing scared me. And I love the malabsorption of the DS---fat is pretty much a 'free' food, plus my cholesterol is now 112, even though I eat bacon, sausage, ham, cheese, nuts, you name it. And even though diabetes runs in both sides of my family, at age 52 I'm still not diabetic, and I credit the DS for that---it's the very best form of WLS at resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol.

My DS was done open, but it was the first surgery I'd even had. I have since also had a hernia repair, done lap---which I swear hurt just as bad!
Most Active