Lap Band to RNY

oneprincess2
on 11/6/10 11:49 am - new bern, NC

Wow, this has been a long journey. I started back in 2008 and when I thought the Lap Band was the best thing since slice bread. I found out that it wasn't the best thing for me! So now I am scheduled for RNY surgery on the 19th of this month. I'm a little nervous about what this will hold for me.

candie33
on 11/6/10 1:47 pm
Wow ....it is so unfortunate that I am following in our footsteps..I will be praying for you.  Keep us updated...I am looking at Dec. for my revision if all goes well with the insurance. I would love to talk to you.
oneprincess2
on 11/7/10 1:24 am - new bern, NC

Thanks for all of your prayers. I'm sorry that you have to go through the same process. I hope that the insurance company approves it. My insurance company didn't take but a couple of days to approve. The doctor sent it up on a Thursday and the following Wednesday they called telling me I was approved. My email address is [email protected]

dawneb
on 11/6/10 2:50 pm - Pacific, WA
I was just denied a revision by Cigna even though I've gained back all the weight I lost since lap band in 2007 (I was self pay then).  They say I cant prove that I followed the diet prescribed post op.  Well lets see, I gained back all the weight so no i probably didn't follow the diet, duh.   Problem is I cant have any fluid in the band or I regurg everthing.  Hard to follow when you cant keep anything down.  Sorry, just venting.  What made you decide on the RNY if you dont mind my asking.  I'm thinking sleeve if I can get approval.  Surgeon is going to do a peer to peer for me.  Keep your fingers crossed!.

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/10 10:14 pm
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/5/10 9:58 pm - Mexico
On November 7, 2010 at 5:14 AM Pacific Time, Seeking Healthy wrote:
 Hi Dawn, don't you just hate the games insurance companies play???!!!  I think they deny first in hopes you will just go away.  It's sad to think how many people do "just go away" after the initial denial.  If your peer to peer don't work out then appeal.  Many have won their approvals on appeals.  Hopefully you will be getting your sleeve before you know it!  BTW, sleeve is a good choice if you are looking for restriction only.  It also allows you to go for malabsorption in the future by getting the intestinal switch (DS) if the restriction is not enough.  Not sure what your BMI is, but if it is high you might want to think about the full DS from the start.  Good Luck on your insurance woes!

You know what?  The reality is if we can't follow the prescribed diet, NO WLS is going to work.  How many times should they pay for failed WLS?  Seriously, how many times?

No surgery type fixes white carbs.  None.  That one is on us.  Ohhhh, i totally get the band.  It is indeed easier to eat ice cream than a steak.  But if you can eat ice cream you can drink a protein shake instead.  If you can eat cookies you can eat dried veggies.  It's a choice and the choice is ours.  If you can't resist cookies and ice cream NO WLS will work.

And BTW, you appeal first and peer to peer is when the appeals don't work.  If you do a peer to peer before you appeal, you will lose by default.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/10 8:39 am
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/6/10 10:31 am - Mexico
On December 6, 2010 at 4:39 PM Pacific Time, Seeking Healthy wrote:
 I agree about following the eating plan for the type of WLS you have.  I also agree that any WLS is NO FREE RIDE and we have to do our part to maintain our health and our weight and it is our responsibility to undertake this.

But…..as a person who DID follow the eating plan with the RNY and after 7 years of having such food intolerance's (baked/broiled chicken, fish, beef etc) and my malabsorption component becoming less and less affective.  That along with my metabolic system being shot because of the prolonged low calorie/food intake I gained most of my weight back.  It didn't matter if I lived on protein shakes and veggies and exercised for an hour 4 days a week.  Didn't matter…couldn't loose a frigging pound!  Was I always 100% compliant, no realistically I was not.  I admit I had the occasional sweet.  On a day where I could take in absolutely no food at all with the exception of a low complex carb, you bet I did so that I did not go through the day fighting hunger.  Granted also, this was not every day or even one day a week.  But it did happen.  Did I do it all the time, certainly not as most days I just went hungry when this happened.  I had a revision and yes, my insurance paid for it.  But, I had different insurances from the time I had my original WLS in 2001 to the time I had my revision.  I don't know all the fine details of every ones situation.  And I don't consider it my place to judge them for it.  So I will support where I can because the support I received during my revision journey was invaluable to me.  Should have my insurance approved my revision????  Who knows what's right or wrong, that is a matter of opinion.  I had mechanical issues proven by testing.  All I know is that I am grateful that they did and I can sympathize with those struggling with the same or like issues.

Oh and by the way….my surgeon called my insurance and did a peer to peer and I never appealed nor did I have to.  So perhaps it is different from insurance company to insurance company.  I can only go by my experience.  That is what the majority of my responses are based off of.

I really didn't explain my thoughts well at all in my previous post.

There is a person posting on the band boards that she wants a lap band but is unwilling to give up sweets.  You know she isn't going to do well and will eventually need a revision.

I've seen countless posts on the band board that essentially say.. I know the stats for bands are bad, I know weight loss is not great but it's the least invasive surgery and if it doesn't work I'll just get bypass.  I don't think ins should have to pay for repeated surgeries on people like this.  We all pay premiums (taxes for welfare) and we are really the ones paying for this in the end.

Or, the people that write that they won't even research other surgery types, they want a band!  These people are seriously expensive for ins premiums and taxes.

So I'm not really referring to people who truly have failed WLSs, I'm referring to people who are unnecessarily expensive.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
(deactivated member)
on 12/7/10 9:02 am
oneprincess2
on 11/7/10 1:28 am - new bern, NC
I haven't gained the weight back, thank the Lord. I just haven't lost any in the pass six months. The reason I choose the RNY was just talking with my doctor. I haven't read too much about the sleeve. I was kinda torn between just taking the band out and having nothing. But after talking to my family and friends I decided to go with the RNY. I hope that things go well for you.
Most Active