Old VBG pouch too small for revision to RNY???

daisylou1976
on 11/5/10 9:16 am - , Canada
Hi everyone, I just had my consult with my surgeon for my revisoin from VBG 12 years ago to a rny. 

he mentioned that if the pouch was small from the old VBG that it may be too difficult to make the new pouch for the new RNY.

Has this been told to you (if you had a revision like mine?)  or do you know of anyone who couldn't have the revision because of this?

I'm not too too concerned because I am 12 years out of the VBG and can eat a lot.  So i think that I will have adequate stomach to make a new pouch.

Thanks for your help :)

Bobbie D.
on 11/5/10 7:09 pm
My doctor said he would have to reduce my pouch by 1/3 to make the new pouch. He had put a camera down there before surgery so maybe he knew there was enough to work with. I'm told I have a tiny pouch now.

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/10 11:26 pm
daisylou1976
on 11/7/10 1:57 am - , Canada
Thanks for the info :)

I did have a scope, but the report didn't say how big my pouch was, it was done locally where as the surgeon is in the US.

I can eat a lot so I don't think that my pouch would be too small.  The surgeon is going to look at the films from the upper GI that I just had.  Hopefully it will confirm my large pouch size.

I would have loved to have the DS, but BC is paying for the surgery and they DO NOT let you get the DS, so I would have to pay out of pocket for it. :(

Wish me luck, I'll post what they say.

Cheers :)

Amyiable
on 11/21/10 7:35 am
I am having a similar issue.  I am 13 yrs out and looking for a revision.  My choices for fixing my pouch appear to be limited. 

I just had an endoscopy, and my pouch measures about 4 inches (or 10 cm) in diameter, 3 inches in length (or about 7 cm), and stoma is about 2cm. 

I would go for a DS, but it appears that I no longer have a pyloric valve.  If you have a pyloric valve, you at least have more choices than I do. 
Amyiable ----  Revised again on 12/9/10 
My 16 oz pouch was VSG'd & stoma narrowed to1.2 cm diameter.  Slight changes to limb lengths, to align with DS  (Total sm bowel = 700 cm, alimentary limb = 275 cm, and common channel set at 75cm)  

Highest 325/Weight at revision 241/Current ???/Goal 150

Most Active