Not getting my revision

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/10 6:58 am

Talked to my nurse.  Even not considering insurance, it sounds like a revision will not happen.  My surgeon has not done a sleeve surgery, and thinks they are too risky to perform.  Not that he wouldn't, but I would be his first and he doesn't like them.  It's either RNY or Lap Band with him.  And I just plain do not want an RNY.  So I think the revision is off.  Thanks for your help!

I'm pretty bummed out.  I was pretty jazzed to get a sleeve.  Something to help me lose that 60 lbs, not work against me, like it seems my Lap Band has started to do.

I just need to pull up my book straps and cheer up.  It still kinda sucks though.  have a good weekend, you guys!

Brock

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/10 7:03 am - Bayonne, NJ
Find another surgeon and don't give up!

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/10 7:17 am
I'm not giving up.  If anything, things are clearer now than ever.

I did it ONCE with this tool.  I was 10 lbs. BELOW goal.  So what makes me think I can;t do it again?  Wish me luck.
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/10 8:47 am
cheryl W.
on 11/5/10 11:01 am - dallas , TX
StomaphyX on 12/07/10
Hello Brock, I had the RNY performed in 2006. I have since gained almost 40 pounds back. I never reached my goal weight. The surgeon that performed my surgery came back to town last year. I was to have the DS performed in May. I was preped for surgery only to be awakened around 4 hours later by the nurse to get up and get dressed you are going home. The surgeon had left. I was told to call his office. I was told he had to stop the procedure because he ran into to much scare tissue. I was devasted. I did seek a second opinion. I will be having revisional surgery this month. There is a new procedure called the rose procedure. It involves no cutting. The surgery is done using a scope passed down one's throat to the stomach. The surgeon can correct the stoma and the pouch using special instruments.                                                                                          
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/10 12:32 pm
RainyDayWoman
on 11/6/10 1:22 am - Fridley, MN
Come to the University of MN and see Dr. Ikrammuddin or Dr. Buchwald!  Actually, there are a lot of other surgeons in Minneapolis who can revise you to a sleeve, so don't give up if you want a revision.  I see you are maybe in Sioux Falls, but getting the right surgery is a very worthy reason to travel!
Lilypie - (SzbI)
MsBatt
on 11/6/10 4:35 am
Just because you used this particular surgeon ONCE doesn't mean you have to use him again. Find someone who can HELP you, not someone who will discourage you.
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/10 12:25 am
Brock,

Your surgeon is correct, and you should respect him for telling you the truth.  Lap band to sleeve is considered a high risk surgery, increasing your leak rate along the EG junction 5-10Xs higher.  Sleeve leaks are much more difficult to treat than rny leaks and mortality is much higher.  band to sleeve patients should find a surgeon who is 1. revision 2. high experience with sleeve 3. familiar with prior lap band damages.  there is no reason that you cannot go to a different surgeon.  be very careful who you pick for a surgeon.... for a band to sleeve revision.....

Mila
Most Active