I really need you guys...please read

indygirl
on 11/4/10 8:55 am - indianapolis, IN
Hello.  I wrote about the possibility of a revision about a month ago.  I have a band and didn't know if I was going to go with the RNY, which my dr does, or seek out another dr for ds.  All was speculation because I had not gotten an approval. Well, yesterday, I received my approval letter for RNY.  Was I excited...no. Was I nervous, anxious, fearful...yes.  I say that because I think, in the back of my mind, I didn't think I would get an approval.  So, here I stand.  My dr. is prepared to revised by the end of the yr and I am scheduled for class and clearance on Dec 3.  My biggest issue is the possibility of making things worse for my family.  I keep thinking about my children.  My dr. is great and he said my comorbidities should be more of an issue than the actual surgery, but he understood my concerns.  Wow, I'm usually really laid back, but for the last 24hrs, I haven't even slept well.  So many of you have done well with your surgeries whether it be RNY, or DS.  I know that DS'ers are very passionate and vocal about their choice.  I am currently around 235-240lbs and would like to lose anywhere from 80-100lbs.  I think there is only 1 other surgeon in IN that does DS and I have to inquire as to whether or not she is accepting new patients.  I also don't want to risk a denial from insurance.  My husband is supportive and is the only person that knows of my revision.  My other family only think that I'm having the band removed because I'm not sure that they would support another surgery.  Do I want to lose the weight...yes.  Do I want to get rid of the diabetes and high blood pressure...yes. Do I want to regain...NO. Do I want to reduce my quality of life or die from surgical complications...ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Please tell me that what I'm feeling is typical.  December is very close.
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/10 10:45 am
candie33
on 11/4/10 10:17 pm
Wow this sounds just like my sstory except I have not been approved yet but I am looking at Dec. as well. This is a very difficult decision for many of us that are facing these same cir****tances. I have pondered back and forth with which surgery I am going to revise too and what surgeon. Some have done great with RNY and some have not just like the band some people have had a wonderful experience but I have not. this is a decision that you rally have to pray about and ask for guidence. My dr. does not do the DS so I would have to seek out another surgeon but I feel very comfortable with my surgeon doing a revsion. However I don't want to have any regrets later by choosing something else that will not work for me. I understand exactly how you feel because I am exactly where you are.  I am so sorry I could not help because I am definitely in the same boat.  I just want to offer my support and hopefully you will be at peace with whatever decision you make.  
Zee Starrlite
on 11/5/10 2:04 am

I think you will do just fine.  I do hope you think about really getting the duodenal switch.  Get rid of the diabetes!  It is a wicked disease that wrecks the entire body.  Why risk it possibly going into remission with the RNY (people that gain back with the RNY see the diabetes back if they gain) and possibly getting other glucose problems like hypogycemia?

I say DS with a small stomach and long intestines!.

Curious about your diabetes:  How long have you been diabetic?  Did you lose with the Band and if you did, did your diabetes go into remission?  If it didn't then you certainly would be much better off with a real malabsorbtive surgery - IF YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE in getting your labs, taking your supplements and eating right for your surgery.

All the best to you.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

smileyjamie72
on 11/5/10 7:00 am, edited 11/5/10 7:01 am - Palmer, AK

I just wanted to say, research, research, research, and make the choice that is right for you!!!!  We will all still be here on this board, whatever you surgery decide for revision.

Speaking from my experience, I am pursuing a revision from RNY to DS.  Just as living healthy has stated, ithe DS has the best long-term statistics.  I currently am between 220-230, and I want to revise to DS.  (been working towards insurance approval for 18 months)  My profile is public as well, check out "My Story"

Good luck in whatever you decide!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/10 12:53 am
this decision is difficult you have to do a risk management, some questions you are already answered.  sounds like you want a revision, not sure if you want rny because of insurance?  do research on regain and diabetes resolution for rny and ds.  do you want restriction-rny or restricion and malabsorption- bpd/ds?  most insurance policies pay for bpd/ds (the sleeve not as much)  i dont believe one surgery is good for all.   what you are feeling is completly normal.  if you were not scared, that woudl not be normal.  tough choice picking what to revise to.  take you time picking dont let your surgeon or your insurance co dictate what is best for you. 

Mila

indygirl
on 11/17/10 8:20 am - indianapolis, IN
Thank you everyone.  I have decided to revise to RNY.  I would appreciate all prayers and positive thoughts. I will keep you posted.
MARIA F.
on 11/17/10 9:31 am - Athens, GA

I prefer VSG over RNY, but I have to say that with diabetes, I would think DS would be the most practical choice b/c of a higher % of resolution with that.

Don't rush. Research! Consider all your options and when u are confident in your choice.............then do it!

It's bad enough that we made the mistake the 1st time with the band. So make sure u take into account the severity of diabetes when u make your decision this time.

Good luck to u hun!
Most Active