Talk w/Surgeon

Keydi B.
on 11/2/10 12:37 pm - Elmwood Park, NJ
First, I have been approved by insurance for my revision to RNY. (had Lap Band removed 12/2009).  I already had my first meeting with Dr Bertha. I have several GI problems.  My GI doc already called and spoke with Dr Bertha aboout my scope.   Tomorrow I will discuss the actual procedure with Dr Bertha.  I am nervous about it.    
Have a Nice Day/Night! 
Keydi

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/10 10:24 pm
WASaBubbleButt
on 11/3/10 12:54 am - Mexico
Seeking Healthy is right, I'm not sure which surgery type has a higher revision rate, bands or bypass.

With bypass you will only malabsorb calories for 6-24 months then you are left with diet and exercise. With DS you will malabsorb forever.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Keydi B.
on 11/3/10 10:47 am - Elmwood Park, NJ
Turns out that Dr Bertha thinks that the best surgery for me is the sleeve.   Now on to learning about the sleeve.
Have a Nice Day/Night! 
Keydi

MsBatt
on 11/4/10 7:14 am, edited 11/4/10 7:15 am
Of the surgeries that Dr. Bertha DOES, the Sleeve IS the best choice. But you have a BMI of 50.6, and you've already failed with a restriction-only procedure. This tells me that you most likely have metabolic problems, and the Sleeve is NOT going to address that---only the DS does.

You owe it to yourself to at least consult with a surgeon who does perform the DS. There's a link to a list of DS surgeons in North America:

www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html #il

The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, AND the best resolution or prevention of co-morbs like diabetes and HIGH CHOLESTEROL, since it targets the absorption of fat.

TamaraL
on 11/4/10 6:17 am
Call your insurance first and make sure it is covered and if not is there anything you can do to get it approved

Keydi B.
on 11/8/10 9:23 am - Elmwood Park, NJ
My insurance approved the Sleeve without any problems.  I have some metaplasia (cells that are changing to cancer like cells) and the sleeve allows my GI to still be able to monitor the metaplasia.  The DS wasn't an option due to the metaplasia. If they did the bypass they would remove the stomach remanant completely.    So on with the Sleeve the first at my hospital.
Have a Nice Day/Night! 
Keydi

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/10 9:45 am
Most Active