Revision Pending: LapBand to Gastric Bypass

hoping4june
on 11/2/10 1:51 am - MN
I just met with the surgeon yesterday and now await the news from the insurance company.  I have to have my LapBand removed because of recurrent acid reflux which has caused me ulcers of the esophagus and having to have all the fluid in my band removed numerous times.  Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! (b/4 and after surgery info.)
"What the caterpillar thought was the end of life, the butterfly realized was just the beginning!"

MsBatt
on 11/2/10 6:29 am
While you still have an un-cut stomach, PLEASE research the DS as well as the RNY. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss AND the best resolution or prevention of co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. And the time to get the DS is NOW, while you still have an entire stomach to work with, not a few years from now when your RNY isn't keeping the weight off.

WE do have a lot of members here who've been revised from the RNY to the DS, but it's dangerous and there are not many surgeons world-wide who are capable of doing such a complex surgery. Think twice, cut once.
hoping4june
on 11/2/10 10:19 pm - MN
Thanks for the info.  I will do my research.  I wasn't given that as an option.
"What the caterpillar thought was the end of life, the butterfly realized was just the beginning!"

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/10 6:57 am
hoping4june
on 11/2/10 10:21 pm - MN

The request for the revision has already gone to my insurance.  What's with the weight gain with the RNY?  What is the culprit?

hopingtolose
on 11/2/10 8:54 am - CA

I actually have lapband and am having the same problems as you. I am getting it out and going for the DS. I was totally going to go for the RNY but after reading so many people and seeing a couple of friends who had it gain back some of their weight I decided the DS was for me. Check it out also.
Gina

hoping4june
on 11/2/10 10:23 pm - MN
Thanks for your input.  Where did you get the most info. about the DS?  What makes it more successful than the RNY?  What is the cause of the weight gain?  THe request for the revision already was submitted to insurance...

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/10 10:40 pm
MsBatt
on 11/3/10 8:27 am
With the RNY, the malabsorption of calories is a temporary thing, but the malabsorption of vitamins and minerals is FOREVER. With the DS, both kinds of malabsorption are permanent. Also, the stoma of the RNY frequently stretches too much, causing you to no longer have restriction. In the DS, your stomach is made smaller, but still works like a normal stomach, complete with the pylorus, the sphincter at the bottom of the stomach. This controls the passage of food from the stomach into the small intestine, but a man-made stoma is always open, and drinking with meals can push food right on through---and if it stretches, then BAM! no restriction. So---around 18-24 months out from the RNY, your caloric malabsorption is gone, and you can eat more, which frequently leads to weight gain.

I'm almost seven years out from my DS, and I most definitely still have restriction---and malabsorption. I'm easily maintaining my loss while eating 2500-3000 tasty calories a day.
hoping4june
on 11/3/10 11:28 pm - MN
Wow, that is great information.  Thank You. 
Jean

Most Active