Revision from Lap Band to RNY

Heidi S.
on 11/1/10 2:56 am - leesburg, FL
I am having the Lap Band removed and revision to RNY Dec. 1st. I was wondering about revovery, I know how painful the port was going in, how bad is it coming out?
TamaraL
on 11/1/10 3:23 am
Well, I had my band removed on 10/8/2010 and I have to say that I have been pretty sore where the port is.  My surgeon cut me open above my port, removed it and the band and then he did the RNY.  He did not cut me again.  I guess some surgeons will cut you twice when removing the band and doing the bypass. My bariatric nurse was very impressed with this.  I have to say that I am over 3 weeks and still have some soreness where he cut me and removed the port.  Also some people are really sore after the surgery. I was up walking the same day I had surgery and was doing laps around the floor.  My second week home was probable the hardest. I was wore out.

Tamara 

Heidi S.
on 11/1/10 3:44 am - leesburg, FL
 I had no luck with the Lap Band at all. When I first had it put in I lost 40 pounds but gained 60 back! I can't wait to have it removed! I am having the RNY they are doing it all the same day. I am scared, Its only a overnight stay in the Hos. Also how do you put a picture up I can't seem to get one to load. How are you feeling three weeks out?
TamaraL
on 11/1/10 9:40 am
I feel good most days.  I have a couple of days where I have ate too much and the little stomach has hurt.  I try not to eat that much now. 

I was only overnight in hospital.  I did have morphine pump. Evidently Morphine keeps me up all night.  Didn't sleep a wink.  Next morning stopped using the morphine and was finally able to sleep.    I think I had to upload on my profile.   I am not too good with all that. 

I had lap band January 2009 and lost 54 pounds.  I started out 272 highest.  Today I weigh 202

Sarah P.
on 11/1/10 9:43 am
i HAD MY 2ND BAND REMOVED IN jULY AND CONVERTED TO RNY IN OCTOBER. THE RECOVERY WASN'T THAT BAD. i ENDED UP HAVING TO GO OUT 2 DAYS AFTER GETTING HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL, IT WAS A LITTLE PAINFUL BUT OK I WENT BACK TO WORK 2 WEEKS AFTER SURGERY AND WAS FINE. THE LEFT SIDE IS STILL A LITTLE SORE BUT NOTHINGTOO BAD.

HW / SW / CW / GW
270   252   178 150        
hopingtolose
on 11/1/10 9:55 am - CA
I have the lapband and am going to have the DS hopefully next year. I too was wondering how the port area is going to feel. I am scared as all heck to have another surgery but the lapband was worthless in my case
Gina
WASaBubbleButt
on 11/1/10 1:15 pm - Mexico
I revised from a band to sleeve. The worst part of recovery was where the port was. If I didn't move, it didn't hurt. If I sat up, sat down, got in or out of a car, etc., it hurt like a pulled muscle. Not fun but certainly not a horror either.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Heidi S.
on 11/2/10 1:40 am - leesburg, FL
That darn port! How long did it hurt?
WASaBubbleButt
on 11/2/10 1:46 am - Mexico
On November 2, 2010 at 8:40 AM Pacific Time, Heidi S. wrote:
That darn port! How long did it hurt?

Two weeks.

It was really odd, I would be walking across a room and suddenly it felt like someone stabbed me with a hot poker.  It would last about 3 seconds and it was over.

Bands should be against the law!

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Heidi S.
on 11/2/10 1:53 am - leesburg, FL
Yes they should! The band put me in the Hospital for a week... I had an infection in my esophagus ulcers in my stomach. I formed a hiatial hernia above the band causing me to choke on everything I ate. I never lost any weight it was a waste of my money. I am counting down the day's till  Dec 1st when I can get my life back! I am excited but scared all at the same time.
Most Active