Had lap band surgery 2 years ago hoping to get revision to gastric bypass

Nicole Wilson
on 11/1/10 7:26 am - Indianapolis, IN
Hello, I am almost 2 years out after having the lap band surgery and I lost 50 lbs, but I have been gaining weight lately instead of losing it.  I have been walking with my husband at night over a mile and we have joined a gym for awhile now and I have gained 11 lbs back.  My doctor stated they wanted me to see a dietician for 6 months then see if I will lose any weight. 
I have Tricare insurance is was "Tricare Reserve Select" and now it's "Tricare Prime Remote", due to my husband being on orders to go back overseas for the military.  Has anyone gone through this?  If so please let me know what I have to do.  thanks...

This is what I was told today...

"I have to recheck with your Tricare since it changed today. I actually was given that heads up when I called last week. It should be covered the same but the process of getting the surgery approved differs between the two networks. I am just double checking with them to make sure we have all the bases covered. You are cleared to start the supervised weight loss with the weight loss center."
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/10 10:37 am - Bayonne, NJ
Have you considered the DS?  There's less of a chance of regain with a DS than with RNY.

The band has a very high failure rate, unfortunately, and isn't recommended for anyone with a high bmi. It's a shame so many doctors still pu**** but it's a money maker.

I have no experience with Tricare but I wish you the best.
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/10 11:22 pm
Mary B.
on 11/4/10 6:08 am - Southern, MD
I just recently had a revision from my band to RNY. My band doc wouldnt even consider a revision. He wanted me to try pills and such. uh...I already tried all that. I didnt pay out of pocket for the band to throw up all the time, not lose weight and now you want me to take pills?!

I found a new doctor.

I also ended up getting lucky and the new insurance I had chosen covered the revision.

sorry I cant help you more with the insurance question. I would call yourself and speak with someone about it. Ask if they cover the codes for the insurance mabye... Also see if you need to go to a certain hospital to have it covered.

I believe this is the CPT codes to ask about the insurance for RNY:

CPT 43644

Maybe a DS'er will chime in with the number for the DS.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/10 8:13 pm
Most Active