3 year post VSG and gaining weight

libbyw
on 10/29/10 7:08 am - Australia
I posted this on the VSG board and thought I'd post here as well because if things don't change soon I'll be looking at a revision.
I had a VSG almost 3 years ago. I lost 70lbs in the first six months, which left me just 45lbs overweight. I maintained this weight for the next year and then slowly, but surely started gaining some back. It seems that every 6 months I'm another 6-8 lb heavier. In July I went overseas for 6 weeks and actually lost weight but since then I seem to gaining at an increased speed and am now showing a total loss of just of just 44lbs. But even these scary number have not seen me put a halt to my eating. My meals are pretty healthy (I do love healthy food) but I'm a big snacker and can still polish off a whole packet of cookies during the day. I'm feeling very lost and very much a failure. I loved the first 18months where food wasn't controlling my life. My dh, who also had a VSG just before me, is in the same boat (though our surgeon confirmed he has a fast emptying stomach which results in constant hunger). He has decided he needs further surgery (not sure what yet) and I really don't want to do that myself. In desperation I've rang and made an appointment for early Dec. I know I can not keep gaining like I have been so if I can't get things under control myself (as I've been trying to do for the last 2 years) I will need to have a revision. I don't really have anyone else to talk to about this who would even remotely understand what I'm feeling so here I am - feeling exactly the same way I did before I had my VSG :-(.
-------------------
...... I had one of the best VSG surgeons in Australia so I don't blame the surgery in itself. I have no idea what size pouch but these days I can eat 1-2 cups of food in a sitting. The only thing I didn't like about my surgeon is I don't feel we had much support post surgery. We saw a dietician in the hospital who gave us a book of what to eat but that was pretty much it. Even follow up appointments with our doc were pretty much left up to us if we wanted them.
It's all my head I know but I seem powerless to get my snacking under control. Over the 20 years before surgery I seen a number of people about my food addiction and no one was ever able to help or pinpoint why I eat out of control. Like most of you probably have I've also tried all the diets, some of them post surgery, looking for the magic program that would actually work for me. I do workout on a regular basis - and love doing that. From the reading I've done in the last week or so it sounds like I indeed have a carb addiction, plus I eat I lot of slider foods. I looked at the 5 day pouch test but I'm a vegetarain - lacto-ovo - so I'm not sure how it would work after the first two days. I'm thinking also mabye because of me being vegetarian that doesn't help with the carb addiction as nearly all dinners are carb based.
I have to confess the scales were up again this morning :-(. We are having a Halloween party tomorrow but after that I plan to do something. I have to. I'm thinking of maybe doing the first two days of the pouch test to get my eating back under control and then evaluating where to go. I have a dd11 who is also obese but it's hard to help her when I can't help myself.
And a note about my DH - he's not a snacker like I am but will get hungry almost immediately after eating a meal - as I said before tests have showed he has a fast emptying stomach. He does, however, lack self discipline like I do.
It's crazy. I made the deicision to give up meat, and the deicision to have WSL - you'd think the deicision to stop eating junk (I know ALL about healthy food) would be easy....
------------
NOTE: I don't think my surgeon does the DS so I would most likely be looking at a bypass.

Libby
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/10 2:24 am - Bayonne, NJ
Well, you if you have a bypass and continue to eat the unhealthy stuff, you'll gain all the weight back again. The statistics for RNY aren't that great, especially for someone in your situation.

If you already have the VSG, your best bet would be to find a surgeon who does the DS instead of converting the VSG to a pouch with RNY. However, the DS won't work unless you come off the carbs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/10 3:04 am
Ms Shell
on 10/30/10 11:08 am - Hawthorne, CA
I'm sorry to say that based on my research if you are UNABLE to come off the processed carbs and up the protein NO wls is gonna help you.  Your problem from reading your post is NOW pretty much 100% mental and unless you are having a lobotomy that's the only surgery that will help.  I don't know if your husband is also a vegetarian but I believe eating dense protein HELPS with gastric emptying, doesn't stop it but slows it down.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

justmeny
on 10/30/10 12:10 pm
My heart goes out to you, Libby.  I ran across a book the other day and maybe it can help you a bit with the "mind over matter" issues that all of us face.  I wish you only the best.  The link to the book is below...it's called "Mindless Eating."
Good luck to you in whatever you do.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mindless-Eating/Brian-Wansi nk/e/9780553904031/?pt=BK&stage=bookproduct&pwb=2
Janis
April 2006: lap band
SW: 256, LW: 201
Planning revision to VSG
liveinphx
on 10/30/10 12:19 pm - Phoenix, AZ

I am with Ms Shell on this one (as I am most of the time). Even with a DS, if your issue is too many carbs a revision will not help all that much since even DS folks malabsorb those kinds of carbs. 
With RNY this is even more true.
Yes malabsorbtion can give you more "wiggle room" with some of the other foods you may be eating but carbs, not so much.
Before considering a revision you may want to consider cutting back on the carbs, upping your protein, increasing your liquid intake and perhaps tracking what you are actually eating to get a better idea of what specifically might be going on.
This is NOT the same thing as dieting and that is NOT what I am suggesting. I am suggesting that you may need to get back in touch with exactly what you are eating and seeing if there is some tweaking you can do with your intake.

Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
Most Active