why do some need revisions from RNY?

sammys_mama
on 10/28/10 4:17 am
I've read a lot about complications from lapband that would cause someone to need a revision, but haven't read much RNY? What are the reasons why someone would need a revision from RNY? I'm currently approved for surgery but am still debating which one to get. My surgeon does RNY, lapband and the sleeve. My insurance won't cover the sleeve, so not sure it that is an option or not. I'm sorry that so many of you have to have revisions, but I hope to learn from what others have gone through. Thank you.

Wendy
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/10 2:39 pm
dana712
on 10/29/10 12:22 am
smileyjamie72
on 10/29/10 3:30 am - Palmer, AK

I second what Seeking Healthy says.

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!!!  Post, read profiles, ask questions, so that YOU can make the best decision that is right for YOU!!!!

My profile is public, go & take a look.

Good luck to you & keep us posted on your journey!!
-Jamie

p.s. there are also lots of links in my "latest posts" (under my picture-to your left)

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Lisa N.
on 10/29/10 5:24 am - Williston Park, NY
 I just met with my new surgeon Dr. Roslin today. I had Gastric Bypass in Aug of 03 and I lost 120 pounds. I was 304 to start. I started gaining weight in 2006.  In 2008 I had Stomaphyx, I was 236 and I lost about 20 pounds, which I gained back and more I got back up to 265.  My original surgeon finally referred me to Dr. Roslin and at first we were going to go with a lapband over the bypass. But after having an upper GI, CT scan and a endoscopy  that was done yesterday, they found that my pouch has stretched back to an original stomach.  I still have the staples in.  He feels that the lapband wouldn't help me and my first surgery was done too low to preform a sleeve or a ds. We have agreed to revise the bypass and do a gastrectomy (which I guess sounds like a sleeve, but its not. He is removing part of my stomach, taking out the staples that are there, putting new staples in and redoing what my old surgeon did It will look like a gastric bypass when it is finished). Right now I have a date of 11/29/10 pending insurance approval.  I hope I don't have the issues I had the first time around when I wanted surgery.
MsBatt
on 10/29/10 5:56 am
Usually it's due to either regain or never losing sufficient weight to begin with. Over time, the stoma can stretch, causing you to lose restriction. And the malabsorption of calories after the RNY pretty much goes away by 18-24 months post-op, so---you're back to diet and exercise. Many people get revised to a DS, but it's VERY difficult to do this revision properly, and there are VERY FEW surgeons qualified to do so.

How much weight do you need to lose? DO you have diabetes, high cholesterol, etc? Have you researched the DS?

Your surgeon apparently doesn't DO the DS, so it's quite likely he's not given you complete, accurate info about it. Please visit the DS board here at OH, and read up at www.dsfacts.com

We have a saying over on the DS board---"Think twice, cut once."
sammys_mama
on 10/29/10 6:35 am
no, he doesn't do the DS. I am currently at 333 lbs and am about 5 '4". I have Type II, sleep apnea, PCOS and high blood pressure. I am a total sweets addict. I feel awful and just want to sleep all day. I have no energy to keep up with my 3 year old son.

Wendy
MsBatt
on 10/30/10 5:25 am
Type II diabetes is a VERY good reason to seek out a surgeon who does do the DS. 84% of diabetics who have the RNY achieve resolution after a few months, but that number drops to only 53% by five years post-op, as diabetes returns. On the other hand, 98=% of diabetics who have the DS achieve resolution within the first few weeks, and so far we're NOT seeing diabetes return, even at the ten-year mark. (The DS has been around since 1988--22 years.)

I thought I was a sweets addict, too, until I had my DS. Now---don't get me wrong, I do still LIKE them---but I don't crave them 24/7 like I did before. I an now eat a few bites and be over and done with them.
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/10 8:07 am - Bayonne, NJ
I kept off 100 out of about 140 lost with my RNY, but never got near goal. I also had the added problem of a permanent ring on my stoma, which made it impossible for me to keep down solid food. I was constantly throwing up, and it caused esophageal erosion. So, I revised from RNY to the DS, and it's been much better for me. I eat meat now, I never throw up, and I'm happily losing weight.
WASaBubbleButt
on 10/30/10 12:36 pm - Mexico
If you want DS fight for it. Appeal, do whatever you have to.

I will tell you the odds are not even remotely in your favor that a band will get you to goal.

Please, cross that one off your list.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active