Made goal with revision - it's still working!

Kilaani
on 10/26/10 2:44 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I am a revision from the band (it was in Sweden 2/98 - it ended up that it leaked and I regained the 160 I'd lost over the seven years - every issue known to bandsters was mine - wrong foods sticking, underfills, overfills, the expense, never feeling full, etc)

I revised from the band to the DS in March '05. Best decision I'd ever made since I was super super morbidly obese with a bmi of 73.3. Today it's 24.8

Today I made my lifelong goal of 149. I lost the bulk of my weight in the first year or two, but have kept on losing the past 3 years - it's up and down, but still trends downward - but I get in trouble if I eat too much sugar and I have to stay in CONSTANT VIGILANCE or it the weight will creep back on with my dratted metabolism. I don't have to exercise much though I did try more faithfully the first year I was losing. I just have to cut back carbs and I'm ok.

Do your research if you are looking into a revision. A RNY would NOT have kept me where I am now nor would I have gotten here at all!

Jill - revision - band to DS 3/10/05 Dr. Baltasar, Spain
440/140/149  hw/cw/gw - 5'5" -300lbs -- bmi 73.2 to 24.8 :) GOAL MET 10/26/10!!.... Even made 140 September 2012. Been ranging 4-6lbs from 144-146 since then. Back to 140 December 2012, hoping to see it again after I feel better and start working out. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/10 2:55 pm
Bobbie D.
on 10/26/10 11:09 pm
Hi Jill,

It's great to hear how well you have done. I have a question for you though.

Why would RNY have not allowed you success? I ask as I recently revised from VBG to RNY and really hope that I will be successful. I feel dedicated to my plan but I know that I am early out and it will be important to keep this attitude and make it my way of life.

I just want to know why you would not have been successful with RNY.

Thanks,

Bobbie

Kilaani
on 10/27/10 1:23 am - Las Vegas, NV
With my high original BMI and very broken metabolism/genetics, the regain statistics on a RNY would have been against me. Most doctors do a proximal RNY and the malabsorption would not have been sufficient - the distal RNY would have been more likely but it would have to have been very extreme and I still would have had issues with stoma, pouch ulcers, blind stuff... all the negatives to the rny. The DS for me counters most of those issues - except the need for huge supplementation like the distal rny - that remains the same! I had heard statistics on the DS stating over 80% kept off the excess weight over a 5 year period. I have heard the RNY is around 50% I could be wrong, it's a while since I've looked at the most recent research. I still have a real stomach - even though it's smaller, and the little bit of duodenum, too.

Jill - revision - band to DS 3/10/05 Dr. Baltasar, Spain
440/140/149  hw/cw/gw - 5'5" -300lbs -- bmi 73.2 to 24.8 :) GOAL MET 10/26/10!!.... Even made 140 September 2012. Been ranging 4-6lbs from 144-146 since then. Back to 140 December 2012, hoping to see it again after I feel better and start working out. 

Bobbie D.
on 10/27/10 1:31 am
Hmmm, I honestly didn't do alot of research on the DS when I was planning my revision. I know that I am the key to my success or failure so hopefully I'm one of the 50% successful!!

Thanks for the info,

Bobbie

JRinAZ
on 10/27/10 3:27 am - Layton, UT
On October 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM Pacific Time, Kilaani wrote:
I am a revision from the band (it was in Sweden 2/98 - it ended up that it leaked and I regained the 160 I'd lost over the seven years - every issue known to bandsters was mine - wrong foods sticking, underfills, overfills, the expense, never feeling full, etc)

I revised from the band to the DS in March '05. Best decision I'd ever made since I was super super morbidly obese with a bmi of 73.3. Today it's 24.8

Today I made my lifelong goal of 149. I lost the bulk of my weight in the first year or two, but have kept on losing the past 3 years - it's up and down, but still trends downward - but I get in trouble if I eat too much sugar and I have to stay in CONSTANT VIGILANCE or it the weight will creep back on with my dratted metabolism. I don't have to exercise much though I did try more faithfully the first year I was losing. I just have to cut back carbs and I'm ok.

Do your research if you are looking into a revision. A RNY would NOT have kept me where I am now nor would I have gotten here at all!

Hey Kilaani!  Congrats on your revision success!

You and "Seeking Healthy" are on my "hero" list!!!  LOL!  You are soooo inspiring!  Thanks so much for sharing your story.  Pleeeeeeeez stay around the Revision forum to share your experience with others as they pop in! 

I totally agree with you, "CONSTANT VIGILANCE" is the key!  I have to jump back on the band wagon daily.....it's a lifetime battle but the alternative is NOT an option!

Best wishes for a FULL life!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

sosoclark
on 10/27/10 4:20 am - Sacramento, CA
Thank you so much for your post. I am seeking a revision to my failed RNY and I wish I had did my research too. Interesting enough I had never even heard of the DS until I started posting on the revision board. Please continue to tell your story to help other see there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Sophia
Most Active