Update On Me

Monique H.
on 10/23/10 10:29 am
I've been home since Thursday from my revision to DS. Been in pain but not as much as from my revision to distal.  I'm a little confused though about the diet. I was advanced to soft food the day before I left. They brought in to me a piece of crispy baked chicken and veggies and I was afraid, atlhough I did nibble on it, to eat. They brought me meatloaf and mash potatoes and gravy. I forgot what else, but I really didn't think I would be eating like that this soon out. I keep questioning the nurses and the PA, but was told that if I could tolerate it just take it slow. I don't remember what all I've posted on here, because I've been out of it at times. So here is a few more things:
Surgery 11 hours although my sister says 13.5. Lots of adhesions and was also told my gallbladder was still in and diseased or with big stones in it so that had to be removed as well. I won't even go in to the nurses at this time but will fill you in on my hospital stay later on. I was visited by Dori SF and Jeff who  brought me beautiful flowers and got calls from my girl SoSoClark to check on me. I'm recovering pretty well, but I do need to work on my water intake.

I don't know what else to say so if you have any questions for me I'll try to keep checking back to answers. Best of luck to all of you on this journey!
Monique
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
ellton
on 10/23/10 1:18 pm
Congratulations Monique.  I've been following you and am very happy you're on the other side and at home.  WOW, the soft foods that you were provided were much more heavier than I would have thouhgt you could tolerate so soon after surgery.  What did Dr. Rabkin say? 

Take care of yourself! 

Tonya
Monique H.
on 10/24/10 3:25 am
Thanks Tonya. I was really shocked at the food too. I just took a few little bites and chewed and chewed and chewed and was fine. I haven't had a problem with anything I've eaten yet. I do think I may be getting constipated from all of the cheese I've been eating. It is just easier to go get a piece of cheese and a wheat cracker when I'm hungry right now. They all just say to take it slow.  I'm afraid I'm going to break something, but I've been ok so far. I even enjoyed some crab, shrimp, chicken and sausage from a gumbo my daughter cooked yesterday. It was sooo good! Anyway I hope we both do great at this thing. Keep me posted on your journey as well.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
KatKan
on 10/24/10 1:56 am
Hi Monique,  I had revision surgery on 10/11.  I am just now starting mashed pureed foods.  They did give me pudding in the hospital which I thought was strange since my diet plan is first week no solids, ie broth, liquids only.  Are you doing protein shakes?  I had a little mashed cottage cheese yesterday, just about an ounce and I could not tolerate any more.  No dumping or anything, just full.  Frankly I hope it stays that way.  I was told I will/should never eat more than 3/4 of a cup at a time period.  I am going to stick to that.  I am really sore, and have to take pain meds but am doing pretty well.  I was lucky I think, not much scarring.  Pouch was large and opening was large, but should be good now.  I also need to work on fluid intake.  Take care. 
Kat
Monique H.
on 10/24/10 6:22 am
Hi Kat,

So did they just reduce the size of your pouch and stoma? I hope it works for you. I guess eating with DS is really different than with rny. I was shocked at the progression. I wish you well on your journey!
KatKan
on 10/26/10 9:43 am
Hi Monique,
My surgeon does not do DS so I am not familiar with it really.  The revision was cutting the outlet and making the pouch smaller and then attaching the outlet to   the smaller pouch but also reducing the outlet size which was the problem to begin with.  I hope this works too.  Am feeling better every day but had a nasty bout with nausua and dry heaves out of the blue.  Feel better now thank goodness.  I need some sleep tonight.  How are you doing?  Kat
sosoclark
on 10/24/10 8:37 am - Sacramento, CA
Ok, help me understand?? What was up with the food thing?? I thought you went to liquids the pureed then soft to solids. I might be getting somethings confused but the chicken didn't make any sence to me. So you know I will need a play by play of everything.. Are you still on pain meds? How is your eating? Any gas problems? Is the restriction similar to the rny? Ok now that you have your stomach back did it take a long time for the feeling to come back or wake up? Ok I will stop there and continue my questions another day. Hope your feeling better talk to you soon.
Monique H.
on 10/24/10 2:57 pm
Hey Sophia I got your call, but it has been so crazy here with my grandkids that I didn't even try to call back.

Well I guess his stages are liquids to soft foods and the food they gave me in the hospital was considered soft. I kept asking is there a bariatric version of soft diet or something that I should be getting and they said that what I had was what he ordered. I think I've constipated myself because since I started bowel movements they have been mostly water 4-5 times a day, but I started just having a piece of cheese on a wheat cracker for about a day and now I haven't gone all day and I'm worried. It was just easier for me to get when I would get hungry and didn't want to bother my daughter, but I really think I've messed something up. I think since my surgery is so new that it is a lot like rny but I just feel a pressure after a few bites, but not really full, and I stop. I'm really shocked by my eating and that I haven't gone through the everything makes me sick and tastes funny phase as bad as with rny. I do feel like I want to eat all the time now or like I'm hungry a lot and I didn't have that with rny, I don't think. I actually passed gas a few times today without getting up to go to the toilet for fear that it might be something else. Oh and yes I'm still on pain meds. I hope I answered all of your questions and the answers make sense. Like I said I'm still on pain meds:)
sosoclark
on 10/24/10 3:52 pm - Sacramento, CA
No problem, trust me I know about grandchildren!!! Anyway it sounds like your on track with your eating. I guess the only thing I was wondering about was the feeling in your stomach, besides presure does it feel like it use to? Oh yeah were you able to sleep in your bed yet? Well I am getting excited about my situation but I'm not sure how things will play out yet. I sent blue shield everything I could and kept copies jsut in case I have to go to DMHC. I was sitting at my desk on friday when I requested additional documents from Dr K. Well one of the thing that need to been done was to prove that my pouch had stretch. So I faxed over the original surgeons notes that said my pouch was 20cc or less. Well the current size of my pouch according to the upper gi had tripled ing size. Well that should be enough to get approved. I think that the original package didn't point out everything in particular one may have had to do a lot of searching. Anyway I am praying I hear something next week. Keep me posted on your progress.. Oh yeah have you jumped on the scale yet??
Debbie M.
on 10/24/10 11:25 pm
11 hours OMG - WOW.  I'm glad you're home and doing well, that's wonderful news.

When Dr. K released me from the hospital he told me to eat whatever I wanted, take it slow, take it in layers.  For example, if you were to eat lasagna (it's not a good food choice just trying to make a point).  Anyway, you'd want to try the meat first, see how it sits, then try the noodle, see how that goes, then the cheese, etc).

It was weird, I craved taco meat made from Ground turkey when I got home.  Wanted the flavor.  So I ate it, took it slow, had a little and it was great. 

It's hard having to adjust froman RNY to DS mentality, it'll take time.  Just eat as much protein as you can and water, those are your 2 goals right now.

Congrats Monique,
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Most Active