Band to RNY surgery Pain

bubbles1
on 10/18/10 11:51 am - Surprise, AZ
How bad is the pain after surgery? Scale of 1-10...10 being the worse. I am so worried about pain...

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/18/10 10:46 pm - Mexico
On October 18, 2010 at 6:51 PM Pacific Time, bubbles1 wrote:
How bad is the pain after surgery? Scale of 1-10...10 being the worse. I am so worried about pain...

I have no personal experience with RNY but what I can tell you is that you have a fantastic doctor and I do not believe he is going to let you suffer.  Any surgery can cause pain, but the doctor can certainly manage it.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
TamaraL
on 10/18/10 11:59 pm
I am a little over a week out from lap band to RNY. I have had little pain on the left side where the RNY is.  Where I hurt is where they removed the band and where they removed the port.  For some reason I have pain under my right ribs.

I would say the pain is similar to when you had the lap band.  I had morphine at hospital and used mostly in evening.  I am still using lortab but only at night. 

Scale 1-10 I would say 7 or 8

Tamara

Sarah P.
on 10/22/10 9:52 pm
I had my band removed about 3 months ago and converted to rny 3 weeks ago. I used the morphine pump in the hospital and 1 or 2 days of oral meds after I got home and then nothing I have been back a work for a week. I am a little sore but I think that the biggest thing is how tired I get, and easily.

HW / SW / CW / GW
270   252   178 150        
StillHopefulinAZ
on 10/23/10 3:39 pm
I had my band removed earlier this month and I swear it hurt worse than having the band put in.  I too had the most pain where they took the band and port out.  I have not had my RNY yet but I am so hoping it wont be that bad. 
Banded 10/05/07 Dr Lopez Corvala Tijuana Mexico
Lapband removal 10/07/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ
RNY 12/13/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ

TamaraL
on 10/24/10 12:32 am
Glad to see that I am not the only one that had extreme pain where the band and port was removed.  I had everything done at 1 time and the ride side hurt worse than the left.

Tamara

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/24/10 1:40 pm - Mexico
On October 23, 2010 at 10:39 PM Pacific Time, StillHopefulinAZ wrote:
I had my band removed earlier this month and I swear it hurt worse than having the band put in.  I too had the most pain where they took the band and port out.  I have not had my RNY yet but I am so hoping it wont be that bad. 

YEAH!  Where the port was hurts like a buggar!  I'd be walking across a room and all the sudden it felt like a hot poker was sticking me!  But totally worth it.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
StillHopefulinAZ
on 10/23/10 3:43 pm
Hey, we have the same dr!  When is your surgery?  
Banded 10/05/07 Dr Lopez Corvala Tijuana Mexico
Lapband removal 10/07/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ
RNY 12/13/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ

Tinker-47
on 10/24/10 8:43 am - MN
I have to agree the most painI had after surgery is where they removed the port and the band but the port site is still a little sore even now I had my surgery on 9/21/10

While in the hospital I used the pain pump and then only used the liquid at night when I got home I used the pain meds a few nights... I also had a few hernias fixed at the same time as when they removed my band and convertd me to a roux.

Banded 11/27/06  /
Revision to Roux 9-21-10
Pre op 271              pre-op weight 235
Surgery Day 257   Surgery day 228   
Current 176            Current  211 
Goal 130                 Goal 130               

Lynn M.
on 10/24/10 9:22 pm - Hartford, CT
I have to admit the revision was more painful than having the band put in originally.  I was on pain meds in the hospital and for the first week when I got home I was still on pain meds.  The removal spot for the port hurt like hell.  I also went home with a drain that was another inconvenience, which only hurt if I accidentally snagged it.  This hurt more overall in that I was having to roll off my bed from lieing on my back which required alot of upper body strength and minimal use of my core muscles. 

I only had the pain for about a week or so and I was on liquid tylenol with codeine before I left the hospital.  After the first week I was only taking it to get to sleep at night.  This recovery seemed to take me longer overall, after about 2 weeks with band I was up and moving like normal.  At three weeks with RNY I was still very tired and not able to drink near as much as I had with the previous surgery.

my weight loss is both from the pre-band regimen, lap-band, and gastric bypass
HW/SW/CW/GW 
382/319/248.4/160
Most Active