? Band over Bypass ? (or) ? ROSE procedure ?

richrich k
on 10/18/10 7:29 am
Hello Everyone,  My name is Rich.  I have not posted much but I have been a member since 2002.  I have had the GB via RNY in April 2003 and went from 294 lbs  down to 150 lbs.  I have had a full abdominoplasty and  a full belt-lipectomy.  I did well, keeping my weight at 150 (I am 5'10") up until about two years ago.  Over the past two years I have gained between 60 and 70 pounds.  I at one point was at 220 lbs, but I was able to diet my weight down to 210 lbs.   So, my BMI pre-surgery was 40,  And my BMI stabilized at about 20-21 And currently I have a BMI of 30.5-31 I am considering two procedures.  Dr Ortiz in Mexico performs Band over Bypass.  Dr Smith in Georgia performs the ROSE procedure. Anyone have any comments, concerns, anything they can share with me? Ultimately I would like to see what the consensus is between the two surgeons and between the two procedures.  Please, anyone, feel free to reply and be honest.  My thoughts: 1. Band will give me a life long stricture that I need? 2. ROSE will put me back at the starting mark when I had RNY? Thank you in advance for reading my post and responding to my post! Rich

rich <>< (SEEKING REVISION: GB RNY: April 28,'03 --> abdominoplasty '05 --> belt-lipectomy '08-- '10/'11 started to regain --> open to revision options (Plication seems to be the way to go tho?)                
?(Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, India, Turkey, Armenia, Thailand, USA, South Africa, Malaysia, Philippines, Ukraine, Russian Federation)?

*can it be true, our surrogate is 5 weeks pregnant?

csanddex
on 10/18/10 8:06 am
The rose and stomaphyx are a waste of time and money. I have the BOB since June. I have lost 30 lbs but cannot eat more than 2 bites and it has been a challenge to wrap my head around it.  I posted some research on the BOB if you look at my lastest posts. The research has good results.  Good luck to you!
WASaBubbleButt
on 10/18/10 8:21 am - Mexico
On October 18, 2010 at 2:29 PM Pacific Time, RichRKS wrote:
Hello Everyone,  My name is Rich.  I have not posted much but I have been a member since 2002.  I have had the GB via RNY in April 2003 and went from 294 lbs  down to 150 lbs.  I have had a full abdominoplasty and  a full belt-lipectomy.  I did well, keeping my weight at 150 (I am 5'10") up until about two years ago.  Over the past two years I have gained between 60 and 70 pounds.  I at one point was at 220 lbs, but I was able to diet my weight down to 210 lbs.   So, my BMI pre-surgery was 40,  And my BMI stabilized at about 20-21 And currently I have a BMI of 30.5-31 I am considering two procedures.  Dr Ortiz in Mexico performs Band over Bypass.  Dr Smith in Georgia performs the ROSE procedure. Anyone have any comments, concerns, anything they can share with me? Ultimately I would like to see what the consensus is between the two surgeons and between the two procedures.  Please, anyone, feel free to reply and be honest.  My thoughts: 1. Band will give me a life long stricture that I need? 2. ROSE will put me back at the starting mark when I had RNY? Thank you in advance for reading my post and responding to my post! Rich

I'm going to ask you to reconsider Ortiz as a revision surgeon.  He is extremely limited in the surgeries he can do.  There are better and cheaper surgeons in MX that actually work out of a hospital instead of clinic.

I used to suggest Ortiz if you were okay with a clinic instead of a real hospital but lately business much apparently be bad and he's doing sleeves.  He just went to my surgeon a few months ago to learn the sleeve procedure and now he claims he's done 300 and been doing them well over a year.  If he's been doing them for well over a year, why go to my surgeon to learn how after the fact? i just can't trust him anymore.  Also, just six months ago he was referring to sleeves as stomach mutilation and swearing he would never do them.  For a buck, I guess he will mutilate your stomach!

Bands after bypass will give you the safest actual surgery but long term they are not great.  They don't last long in anyone.  Many many complications.  Think long and hard about this.  Most weight loss is in the very beginning during the post op diet.  You are really doubling up on your potential complications with a band.

Stomaphyx, total waste of money.  I have been posting here for 4 years and not one single person I have read had success with stomaphyx.  All lose about 20# on the liquid post op diet and then as soon as they start solids they are back to gaining.

There is bypass to DS, but it carries the most surgical risk but the best long term (think whole life) outcomes.

There is bypass to a sleeve but honestly, if you are going to take down your bypass it's probably more wise to revise to DS instead of a purely restrictive procedure only.

There is ERNY but that's not so great either.  That carries a great deal of long term risk.

It's a tough decision.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
WASaBubbleButt
on 10/18/10 8:25 am - Mexico

Oh, btw.... here is something for you.  This is how to research MX or US band surgeons:

Also, have you had an upper GI to confirm you have a dilated stoma?  If your weight gain is from something else a band after bypass isn't going to help.

wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/2010/02/researching-mexican-or-us-lap-band.html

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
gal92626
on 6/29/15 8:40 pm - Santa Ana, CA

I know this is a late reply but I opted for the B.O.B. and am very happy I did. It has been 18 months now and I have lost the weight I regained and am still losing. I need another 20 or so lbs to go to put me in a comfort zone I can live with. Right now I fluctuate between 196 and 200. Every time I hit 200, I panic. I want a "buffer zone". Anyway, I'd love to know if you had it done and how it has worked for you.

God Bless you.

Gina

mhcalum
on 10/13/16 7:20 am - Greer, SC

Are you still having good results?  This is an older post so wondering how you are doing a year and a half later?

babyface1
on 10/18/10 8:42 pm
I agree with WASaBubbleButt,  I had the lapband and had it prolaps three times and had surgery three times to put a new one in, on the fourth time I opted for a more perminant wls and had the DS but because of complications with the DS and Gastroparesis I was operated on again and now have the Roux-en-y.

The surgeon couldn't just revise my sleeve as it was too damaged and shaped like the figure 8. So now that I have the RNY I too am concerned about the stoma enlarging. I am so mad and angry that the surgeons don't tell us about these problems before we go under the knife. I find that regardless of what surgery you have you are never fully aware of the problems or complications no matter how much homework you do.

Regards,
Most Active