Anastomtic Ulcer Complication- No Surgeon Will Help!

becarefulwhatyouwishf
or

on 10/17/10 10:23 am - St. Augustine, FL
 Hello. I don't know if this is the right place for this but I don't know where else to turn.

I had a RNY bypass (weighed 339) in 2003. My surgeon apparently left the country thereafter. I did well for a year then developed a bowel obstruction. Other than chronic anemia and nausea controlled by phenergan, I stabilized at about 200 lbs. and did well for a few years but then about 18 months ago I started losing weight, severe stomach pain, nausea. 

I was diagnosed with an anastomotic ulcer with the only solution to surgically remove it. However no surgeon in my area will even see me. Called over 11 of them. They say they don't work on bypass patients with complications because of the risks and tell me to go back to my original surgeon. Both my PC doctor and I have tried many to no avail. The Mayo Clinic in Jax said they needed the records from my surgeon to review the case but he cannot be found. 

I weigh 125 lbs with all the extra skin. I am probably closer to 112 in my PC doctor's estimation minus the skin and still losing about a lb every 10 days. I hurt so badly I do not sleep more than an hour at a time. I have chronic diarrhea and am so tired. I do not believe in taking pain killers. Been there. Bought that t-shirt. Not a long term solution.

Everyone suggests just showing up in the ER but that is a crap shot. Who even knows what Dr. you would get or if they would just try to shove painkillers at me and get me out the door? 

I cannot believe I cannot find someone to help me. My Gastro says he can't help me because it just needs to be removed  so he has diagnosed the problem but no surgeon will see me. 

I wanted to be thin my whole life and people think that I look so good but I am always in pain They don't know the price I have paid. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I cannot eat sugar, dairy, roughage, red meat or drink anything bu****er and zen iced tea from Starbucks. I eat mostly mashed potatoes and cup o noodles. 

If anyone knows of any surgeon who will help me or any advice I would really appreciate it. I am so lost. I live in Northeast Florida. I have Cigna PPO insurance and a supportive family. 

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/17/10 11:08 am - Sedona, AZ
I would hope another bariatric surgeon would if you explained yours was long gone. It just goes to show you, we need a little diagram on a card in our wallet so other medical personel can see what the changes have been and maybe wont be so afraid to help.  . .and some cooperation and communication between doctors in that practice to help others in this situation! I spose they dont make as much doing repairs rather than surgeries to install WLS and I would hope that wouldnt detain some from helping us! Good luck! There should be some medical referral service or even an agency I would think that you could ask for help. If not I am sure there is some legislative health department office of some kind you could call that would get action I have heard those ulcers are hard to find too.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Lisa R.
on 10/17/10 11:41 am - Bristol, CT
I had a rny gastric bypass in February 2004. Last November I also developed an anastamotic Ulcer after commiting a no no for GBP people and taking an anti inflammatory. My doctor told me that to heal the ulcer I needed to avoid three things,  Coffee (I could have tea though), Chocolate and Mint. These three things seem to be the catalyst for ulcer formation. So I did what he said and by January my ulcer was completely healed. Now I don't know if you have had a gastroscopy and it was determined that your ulceration is too far gone but if that isn't the case then try staying away from those three things. There should be someone somewhere who will take on your case.
"Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you are not willing to move your feet."    
becarefulwhatyouwishf
or

on 10/18/10 8:40 am - St. Augustine, FL
 Lisa R
They said it would never heal because it was on scar tissue? I keep fighting them to put me on a PPI to reduce acid and they said it cannot hurt me but it will never heal it. 

Thanks to you and everyone for your input. At least I don't feel so alone. 
_rebecca
on 10/17/10 2:19 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
I'm so sorry.  I hope you get the help you need.  I believe if you go to the emergency room, the will HAVE to treat you.  Keep calling everyday.  I had to continously call to find a doctor to revise my broken lap band and I finally found one (my original surgeon was no longer available).  Stay positve!
WASaBubbleButt
on 10/17/10 11:54 pm - Mexico
Yes, you can find a surgeon that will work with you but you may have to travel. Gagner in Canada, Husted in Phoenix... great choices.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
stillhopefull
on 10/18/10 2:20 am
Have you tried Michel Murr in Tampa?  He is the leading RNY surgeon here in Tampa.  It is worth a shot and best of luck to you. 
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
JRinAZ
on 10/18/10 2:27 am - Layton, UT
On October 17, 2010 at 5:23 PM Pacific Time, becarefulwhatyouwishfor wrote:
 Hello. I don't know if this is the right place for this but I don't know where else to turn.

I had a RNY bypass (weighed 339) in 2003. My surgeon apparently left the country thereafter. I did well for a year then developed a bowel obstruction. Other than chronic anemia and nausea controlled by phenergan, I stabilized at about 200 lbs. and did well for a few years but then about 18 months ago I started losing weight, severe stomach pain, nausea. 

I was diagnosed with an anastomotic ulcer with the only solution to surgically remove it. However no surgeon in my area will even see me. Called over 11 of them. They say they don't work on bypass patients with complications because of the risks and tell me to go back to my original surgeon. Both my PC doctor and I have tried many to no avail. The Mayo Clinic in Jax said they needed the records from my surgeon to review the case but he cannot be found. 

I weigh 125 lbs with all the extra skin. I am probably closer to 112 in my PC doctor's estimation minus the skin and still losing about a lb every 10 days. I hurt so badly I do not sleep more than an hour at a time. I have chronic diarrhea and am so tired. I do not believe in taking pain killers. Been there. Bought that t-shirt. Not a long term solution.

Everyone suggests just showing up in the ER but that is a crap shot. Who even knows what Dr. you would get or if they would just try to shove painkillers at me and get me out the door? 

I cannot believe I cannot find someone to help me. My Gastro says he can't help me because it just needs to be removed  so he has diagnosed the problem but no surgeon will see me. 

I wanted to be thin my whole life and people think that I look so good but I am always in pain They don't know the price I have paid. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I cannot eat sugar, dairy, roughage, red meat or drink anything bu****er and zen iced tea from Starbucks. I eat mostly mashed potatoes and cup o noodles. 

If anyone knows of any surgeon who will help me or any advice I would really appreciate it. I am so lost. I live in Northeast Florida. I have Cigna PPO insurance and a supportive family. 

I'm sooooo sorry for your pain and suffering!  But...I totally believe that if surgeons won't do it that they're really sending the big fat message that they CAN'T do it.  So, thank Heaven's they turn you down!!!

I had major complications and was on a slow road to down under....had been turned down by several surgeons and shot Dr. Keshishian in California an email (after a dear girl on this forum gave me some info!!!!  Thank you Debbie!!!)

He responded with a phone call that went on and on!  I had surgery with him in May and am doing GREAT!!!!

Shooting an email is FREE!!!!  ..... Please just see what he has to say.

[email protected]

Other surgeon's who take on High Risk cases are:  Dr. Rabkin in CA, Dr. Gagner in Canada and Dr. Greenbaum in NJ.

Keep us posted!  And....don't fight pain pills for a short term fix.  They get a bad rap cuz of the adddiction possibilities but if it can help you through til you find the right surgeon then take care of yourself!!!  Maybe they'll make the difference with whether you can tolerate some nutrition, your vitamins and some protein supplements.  .....  almost ANY surgeon will want you to be in better shape nutritionally before a big surgery.  Protein drinks!!!  Protein drinks!!!!

Big Hugggzzzz friend!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/10 11:58 pm - AZ
You are very lucky that doctor didn't take out his anger on you for the phone calls and e-mails.  My by's gastric dr. did a reversal on him and totally Frankensteined him.  He has s2 stomachs now.  Also, dr's will blacklist you as a trouble maker and nobody will help you.  These dr's think they're above God and they're downright criminal in their behavior.  So, consider yourself fortunate.  My bf is in constant pain and nobody can or will diagnosem him with anything and it's killing him.  Best of luck!
sophielyn
on 10/19/10 10:42 am
Regarding your medical records.. I had to get some old records and my surgeon had retired; the hospital has copies!!!  It may take 2-3 weeks to get them but that's how I got mine.  My hospital had even been bought out by another company but they have them.  Good luck to you!
Most Active