Need a revsion from VBG to ?

Cathy G.
on 10/14/10 12:52 am - Douglasville, GA
I had a VBG in 1990, I have since moved from CA to GA. The doctor has retired and I am not even sure how to go about getting the surgical report. I started having problems a few years ago, first I had a small bowel obstruction that required a hospital say of 5 days Recently it seems that I am having pain all the time and food does not want to digest. I have sontacted severl doctors in the Atlanta GA area and either 1) that don't do revisions from VBG or 2) they require the surgical report. I need some advice on what to do next? or where I might find a doctor who would consider me for surgery. Thanks
sophielyn
on 10/14/10 5:50 am

contact the hospital where you had your surgery; they should have the op report and it usually takes about two weeks to get it.  you may have to travel out of state.  i am having a revision from VBG in two weeks...my surgeon does NOT require report.  he is in jackson, ms... if you want his name let me know

Cathy G.
on 10/14/10 6:49 am - Douglasville, GA
I would be very interested in the name of the surgeon and also some of your history How long ago did you have the VBG and what are you having done now. Did you have insurance? was it difficult to get it approved?Any help is appreciated,
sophielyn
on 10/14/10 9:31 am
I had my surgery in 1998.  Finding a good revision doctor is not easy.  I wanted to DS procedure, but they are so few of surgeons who do them and I am unable to travel to California for this.  Alot of surgeons will NOT touch a VBG revision.  Make sure to find one who is very experienced in your type of revision.  My insurance approve fairly quickly with a bump or two. (less than a week after submitting I had an approval)  My surgeon is Dr. David Carroll, @ Riveroaks Hospital, Flowood, MS and I am having the RNY revision.  I was going to travel to Georgia to Dr. Dennis Smith - but he wont do a VBG revision at all.
Cathy G.
on 10/14/10 11:13 am - Douglasville, GA
 Thank you for all of the information. Can you provide why you are looking to have the revision. I know that my VBG does not have mesh but I do have a staple line. The doctor who did mine really was not a weight loss surgeon. He was a good surgeon who worked at the hospital that i worked at. me and some other nurses talked him into doing the surgery. I never really lost the weight that I wanted. Over the years I have had to try very hard to lose any weight, Lately it seems like I am just having some problems with obstruction. Do you also know the name of the doctor in California? Does he require the surgical report? I really appreciate all of your help. You need to let me know how this goes. Thank you
JRinAZ
on 10/15/10 3:23 am - Layton, UT
On October 14, 2010 at 6:13 PM Pacific Time, cjgreenrn wrote:
 Thank you for all of the information. Can you provide why you are looking to have the revision. I know that my VBG does not have mesh but I do have a staple line. The doctor who did mine really was not a weight loss surgeon. He was a good surgeon who worked at the hospital that i worked at. me and some other nurses talked him into doing the surgery. I never really lost the weight that I wanted. Over the years I have had to try very hard to lose any weight, Lately it seems like I am just having some problems with obstruction. Do you also know the name of the doctor in California? Does he require the surgical report? I really appreciate all of your help. You need to let me know how this goes. Thank you
Hijacking the question....

Dr. Keshishian in Glendale, CA

Dr. Rabkin in the Bay area of CA

Both of those surgeon's specialize in high risk (and your case sounds VERY high risk) revision surgery.

I'd recommend shooting an email off to both of them.  I know Dr. Keshishian responds quickly and often calls with a phone consult (no expense to ask questions!!!!).

good luck!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

sophielyn
on 10/17/10 2:15 am, edited 10/17/10 2:15 am
I am seeking revision because of weight regain.  Joyce answered re: the surgeons in California.   The reason I chose my surgeon is because he has performed revisions on my exact surgery. He also use to perform my surgery so he is very familiar with everything.  He just doesn't revise this surgery to a DS... maybe 3 surgeons actually do that at all.
WASaBubbleButt
on 10/14/10 8:09 am - Mexico
A great deal also depends on what revision you are wanting. Not all doctors do all procedures. I could be wrong but I'm thinking VBG has mesh around your stomach and that could be tricky during surgery. Anything with a staple line could be more risk for a leak.

Can anyone confirm if VBG uses mesh?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
sophielyn
on 10/14/10 9:28 am
No mesh in mine... VBG - vertical banded gastroplasty uses a ring at end of pouch.
WASaBubbleButt
on 10/14/10 1:02 pm - Mexico
On October 14, 2010 at 4:28 PM Pacific Time, sophielyn wrote:
No mesh in mine... VBG - vertical banded gastroplasty uses a ring at end of pouch.

I know they used a ring but I thought there was mesh in there somewhere as well.

Thx!

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active