lapband to rny progress

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/18/10 12:03 am - Mexico
On October 17, 2010 at 7:00 PM Pacific Time, TamaraL wrote:

Dawn

It sounds like you have barret's esophagus.

I had the lap band on January 22,2009.  No problems until July 2009. I started having heart burn and it took til November to get it calmed down.  In February I had a fill and they told me they could not give me any more fill.  The band was not working with the little restriction I had.  I see a dr that there are 3 surgeons.  2 of them said the same thing. No more fills!!

I came to a breaking point in July when I started having pain around the stomach/band and having a throbbing in the stomach.

I did not lose nor did I gain from November til my last visit in July.  Finally told dr I wanted the band out and to do the RNY. 

I am 1 week post op and already thankful that I did the revision.  I am losing slower than I would like. I started out at 218 at my pre-op on 9/23 and now weight 209.

Tamara

Barretts doesn't really have any symptoms.  You don't know you have Barretts until an upper endo is done.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
WASaBubbleButt
on 10/18/10 12:00 am - Mexico
On October 17, 2010 at 6:00 PM Pacific Time, dawneb wrote:
Hi there,

Just curious your reasons for revision?  I've had the band since June of 07 and have gained back all the weight that I lost.  I also have some type of condition now where my esophagus spasms, cant remember the name of it, which is not helping.  I basically cant use the band very much, cant have it filled like it should be because I cant keep anything down if I do.  Anyway, this all boils down to a possible revision for me to rny.  I'm not sure what to do. 

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Dawn

Yep, all sounds very familiar.  I also had esophageal spasms and it HURTS!

Don't put off getting rid of a band gone bad, the damage it can do is pretty astonishing.

terilynn112
on 10/19/10 6:32 am - maryland, NY
i have barretts esophagus. In truth I probably should have gotten the rny over the band originally. That is part of my reasons. The failure to loose weight.... The whole pain while eating is bothering me. Two years after my band and I've gained 5 pounds.UUUUGHHHH

Looks like my surgery is the beginning of the new year.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Keydi B.
on 10/22/10 1:13 pm - Elmwood Park, NJ
My lap band was put on August of 2007 and due to abdominal pain, it was removed this past december.   I have struggled with my weight and put it all back on.   I am scheduled for January 24, 2011 for the RNY.  

I too am officially pre-op. 

Saw Surgeon,agreed for a RNY revision:September 15 - done
Saw Dietitician: October 9, 2010- done
Psych: October 22, 2010-done
Clarity :Done...........
EGD: September 20,2010
Insurance : Approved

I am still nervous about getting it, but I know it is the right decision. 
Have a Nice Day/Night! 
Keydi

Bucketta
on 10/22/10 2:15 pm
I am also a band patient looking to revise to the sleeve or RNY depends on what insurance will pay for.  I have medicare and so far they have not added the sleeve to their list of coverage for 2011.  I was hoping they would but then I think I really need the RNY.  The first year of my band was the pits, I had a leaking port and the PA and ARNP I was seeing kept telling me I was doing something wrong.  I finally asked when do I give up on this and have a DS, which I was only joking, but honestly it got them on the ball and they replaced my port.  It was leaking bad.  It also woke me up enough to change doctors.  I did OK with the new doctor but not what I would like to have done.   The last couple of months I have pain in my chest area and carry a bottle around with me to throw up in.  Today is the first day in over 2 weeks that I haven't thrown up or slimmed.  I can only hold about 2 oz of dense protein and I have a very hard time with that.  I'd think that with as little as I can eat I would lose but no dice.  I maintain but that is it and was gaining (because I quit smoking)  I think I have leveled out from that now. 

I honestly would have my band out tomorrow if possible.  I cannot tolerate it much longer. 

Does everyone have to have an EGD prior to their surgery? 

Jacqueline

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

terilynn112
on 10/22/10 9:46 pm - maryland, NY
That is what is slowing my revision. The EGD. That is scheduled for November 17th, if all goes well with that, then I get my surgery date. IF I have an ulcer, or the band has eroded... things change. I also have medicare

Teri

Teri

MARIA F.
on 10/22/10 2:39 pm - Athens, GA
I wish all u ladies the best of luck with your revisions. I have the CRAP BAND and it has been a complete waste of time and MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I could afford it I would have a revision also!
terilynn112
on 10/22/10 9:48 pm - maryland, NY
Probably an obvious answer, but have you checked with your surgeon and insurance? More and more they cover revisions.

Tei

Teri

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/23/10 10:26 am - Mexico
On October 23, 2010 at 4:48 AM Pacific Time, terilynn112 wrote:
Probably an obvious answer, but have you checked with your surgeon and insurance? More and more they cover revisions.

Tei

Maria was self pay.

Most Active