Realize Band over RNY Bypass

Jayne
on 10/12/10 1:51 am - Swiftwater, PA
Any experience here?   My stoma is stretched and my wieght is coming back.  Surgeon is pursuing approval for Realize Band over the RNY Bypass.

Just wondering if anyone else has similar journey.....

Thanks
philipwife
on 10/12/10 4:02 am - Converse, TX
Revision on 02/13/14
I have one more diet appointment to go to before everything will be submitting to insurance for second time. If i get approval Surgeon want to do realize band over bypass but he wont know until actual surgery he said if I would have that one or another one because of possible scar tissue.

Sharon HW278/RNY 9/03 SW268.6/LW162 1/3/14 Consultation wgt regain 262.8 Overstitch 2/13/14 SW247.2/LW197

huth7226
on 10/12/10 1:21 pm
I was just approved today!!! I had been denied 2 times and hired an attorney and the denial was overturned today!  So hopefully by the end of the month I will have the band in place.  Becareful there are a lot of people on here that will tell you not to do it...it has to be something you want and will make work for you!! Good luck
WASaBubbleButt
on 10/17/10 11:50 pm - Mexico
On October 12, 2010 at 8:21 PM Pacific Time, huth7226 wrote:
I was just approved today!!! I had been denied 2 times and hired an attorney and the denial was overturned today!  So hopefully by the end of the month I will have the band in place.  Becareful there are a lot of people on here that will tell you not to do it...it has to be something you want and will make work for you!! Good luck

If a LOT of people are saying it, maybe we are correct.  Just look at the stats and see for yourself.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
WASaBubbleButt
on 10/14/10 9:04 am - Mexico
Well, you are doubling your complications when you get a band. Not only do you have the standard complications that come with bypass you are looking at a whole new, very long, list of band complications.

Banding provides the slowest weight loss, the least weight loss, and the highest regain. It usually doesn't last more than a few short years, and consider that you are already metabolically challenged from the bypass anyway. You are going to struggle more than a WLS virgin.

If your ins will pay for WLS revision I would seriously consider DS because you are metabolically challenged. But having had a band I could never suggest it to anyone else. I know of one person only who got to goal with a band after bypass.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
WhoseU
on 10/17/10 5:25 pm - San Diego, CA

Just my personal opinion, as someone who has the band and is in the process of getting a revision to VSG, I do NOT recommend the band.  I've been very unhappy with the band and based on my band support group, which was a very large group, I would say that there were probably 4 dissatisfied band people to every 1 happy band person.  You have to pay every time the band is adjusted and for many people like me, it is nearly impossible to find that "sweet spot" where the band is just right.  For me, they would slowly fill the band, making it tighter and tighter and it would go from not enough restriction to too much restriction in which I couldn't even ge****er down.  They would totally deflate the band and slowly fill it again...paying for every fill.  For me, we had it too tight and had to deflate it 3 different times!  Insurance does not cover the cost of band adjustments and I ultimately paid more for band adjustments, than I paid for the actual surgery

Also, even before it is too tight, many people have difficulties with many different foods.  The only vegetable I can eat is corn and no other vegetable; I can eat very few fruits, no chicken at all, and the only beef I can eat is ground beef.  So basically I'm left with fish and some fruits.  Although I like fish, that gets old very quickly and after a few years I found myself making bad food choices just to eat something different that I would not have problems with.

So, I'm looking forward to getting the band out and would not recommend it for most people.  But, everybody has to make the choice that is right for them and this was just my 2 cents worth.

Most Active