anyone do revision from vsg??

anninva
on 10/12/10 1:03 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
hi!  i'm on my way to getting vsg but trying to do as much research about the process.  i love the vsg forum, but tend to only find success stories there (which is great).  i'm trying to do the due dilligence on the surgery and want to get all sides of the story!!!

Thanks for any help!  I really appreciate it!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/14/10 9:10 am - Mexico
On October 12, 2010 at 8:03 AM Pacific Time, anninva wrote:
hi!  i'm on my way to getting vsg but trying to do as much research about the process.  i love the vsg forum, but tend to only find success stories there (which is great).  i'm trying to do the due dilligence on the surgery and want to get all sides of the story!!!

To be honest the only people I know that have not been happy with their sleeve are people that didn't have a proper sleeve to begin with.  It was too large, shaped like an hourglass, etc.  I'm quite sure there are people who haven't done well with it because it is restrictive only.  I had a band, now I have a sleeve.  i am seriously limited in quantity BUT... I could eat every 30 minutes if I wanted to. Studies show that the sleeved stomach empties much faster than a virgin stomach.  Although I could eat every 30 minutes I don't because I am not hungry.

People who can't quit eating white carbs, people who are metabolically challenged, people who graze on all the wrong things would not likely do as well with a sleeve.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
kacee109
on 10/16/10 10:34 am
I agree with you. I had the plication 17 days ago and have no restriction. I lost 19 pounds and as soon as I started eating anything,,The weights is going up. I am hungry all the time but eat very little. Does anyone out there know about anyone who has had plication reversal. No way i would go threw this again. If there is another surgery, it will be to reverse it and forget about it

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/17/10 6:49 am - Mexico
On October 16, 2010 at 5:34 PM Pacific Time, kacee109 wrote:
I agree with you. I had the plication 17 days ago and have no restriction. I lost 19 pounds and as soon as I started eating anything,,The weights is going up. I am hungry all the time but eat very little. Does anyone out there know about anyone who has had plication reversal. No way i would go threw this again. If there is another surgery, it will be to reverse it and forget about it

Your window of opportunity is two weeks and then it cannot be reversed.  The scarring and adhesions are the problem.  I believe the only thing you could revise to is DS.

If you don't want a revision, why bother reversing it anyway?  What's the value?

Kacee, as we tried to tell you on the sleeve board, you have to do your share, too.  You have to stick to the post op diet and stop eating bagels, you have to give your stomach time to heal, and you need to focus on dense proteins when you do start eating solids.

Amyiable
on 11/28/10 6:31 pm
It seems to me that the successful ones are those who can manager hunger.  I feel this is true regardless of which surgery type. 

But as far as I can tell, the best chance to manage hunger is to have a sleeve and reduce ghrellin.  A sleeve is no guarantee that tastes will change, but it seems to offer the best chance.

Amyiable ----  Revised again on 12/9/10 
My 16 oz pouch was VSG'd & stoma narrowed to1.2 cm diameter.  Slight changes to limb lengths, to align with DS  (Total sm bowel = 700 cm, alimentary limb = 275 cm, and common channel set at 75cm)  

Highest 325/Weight at revision 241/Current ???/Goal 150

WASaBubbleButt
on 11/28/10 10:40 pm - Mexico
On November 29, 2010 at 2:31 AM Pacific Time, Amyiable wrote:
It seems to me that the successful ones are those who can manager hunger.  I feel this is true regardless of which surgery type. 

But as far as I can tell, the best chance to manage hunger is to have a sleeve and reduce ghrellin.  A sleeve is no guarantee that tastes will change, but it seems to offer the best chance.

I went to dinner with a friend yesterday, Chinese.  This restaurant doesn't know portion control, I'm telling you they kept bringing out one huge plate after another of food.

Three different kinds of chicken, broccoli and beef, fried rice, orange slices, cookies, etc.  (I didn't order, I'm in MX and don't speak Spanish, my friend ordered a standard combo).

I could eat three oz of protein and I was so full I honestly was afraid I was going to hurl.  I ate my 3oz of protein and then some oranges, fried won tons... I couldn't have had more than 300 calories.  It's now 6:30 AM the next day and just the thought of more food after last night is nauseating to me. ;o)  I really did overdo.  It was all my fault but the food was so good.

It's not that I couldn't eat right now, I could.  I just don't want it.

After WLS it takes time but if you have an effective surgery type you quit obsessing over food, you quit thinking about it, your life does not revolve around food.  There are some people that can lose weight, they just can't keep it off.  Then there are people like me that can't lose to begin with without surgery.  I couldn't diet for one day.  I would eat breakfast and think about what I would have for lunch.  I was the fast food queen.  My diet was horrible and all I did was eat food.

Today, I don't care about it.  I don't even think about it.  I don't care if I miss a meal or not.  It doesn't happen quickly but all the sudden one day you realize that you just don't give a flip about food anymore.  It's not the center of your life.  Obese people typically don't know what true hunger is because we eat before we experience real hunger.  We eat based on head hunger.  We see food, we want food.  We think about food, we want food.  It's not normal, it's not how naturally thin people behave.  Naturally thin people eat until they aren't hungry anymore.  Fat folks eat until they can't fit another bite in.  Weird concept, eh?

WLS fixes much of this and we fix the rest.  Surgery will prevent you from overeating, you choose the food types.

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/17/10 6:58 am - Mexico
On October 12, 2010 at 8:03 AM Pacific Time, anninva wrote:

You know what?  I have to correct my post to you.  I do know of someone who just didn't lose with a sleeve.  She was over 400# and got a band.  Big mistake, never had restriction but did have a ton of reflux.  Then she got a sleeve and got down to 250 or so, I forget.  A couple of months ago she added the DS to her sleeve.

Her ID is EastCoastGal if you want to talk to her.

She didn't have a problem with her sleeve, she's just seriously metabolically challenged.  She needed the malabsorption.

libbyw
on 10/23/10 8:53 am - Australia
My Dh both had VSGs almost three years ago. Both lost quite a bit of weight in the first 6 months, then maintained for a year, then slowly started regaining weight. And to be truthful we are still slowly gaining. DH has de****d to have more surgery - probably to a bi-pass. Tests have shown his stomach empties very quickly which is why he is always hungry. Me - i just snack on the wrong things, too much of the time. I'm pretty sure I'm fighting a losing battle to avoid further surgery. Having said all this I love the VSG - it has worked for so many - and wish like hell I had made it work for me (well, it did work just not as I'd hoped).

Libby
MsBatt
on 10/26/10 6:45 am
It would be silly for your DH to revise his Sleeve to a gastric bypass/RNY. Tell him to look into the DS instead. Nothing would be done to his Sleeve, just the malabsorption component added.
WASaBubbleButt
on 11/28/10 11:02 pm - Mexico
On October 23, 2010 at 3:53 PM Pacific Time, libbyw wrote:
My Dh both had VSGs almost three years ago. Both lost quite a bit of weight in the first 6 months, then maintained for a year, then slowly started regaining weight. And to be truthful we are still slowly gaining. DH has de****d to have more surgery - probably to a bi-pass. Tests have shown his stomach empties very quickly which is why he is always hungry. Me - i just snack on the wrong things, too much of the time. I'm pretty sure I'm fighting a losing battle to avoid further surgery. Having said all this I love the VSG - it has worked for so many - and wish like hell I had made it work for me (well, it did work just not as I'd hoped).

Libby

Of course his stomach empties faster, he has a sleeve.  Studies show it pretty well happens to all of us.  I could eat a VSGer size meal every 30 minutes if I wanted to, thing is... I don't want to.

I'm not sure they know why our sleeves empty faster, medicine just knows they do.

Most Active