Lap Band to Sleeve...experience please

hopingtolose
on 10/9/10 2:55 am - CA
Hi everyone! I had lapband almost four years ago and I have regretted it the entire time. The first year I only lost 18 pounds. The second year I lost 50 but I felt like I was starving myself because I constantly threw up and they had to take the saline out. I then got pregnant and gained 50 pounds so I am pretty much 20 pounds less then when I first had surgery. I still have the band in and have troubl eating meat, eggs, corn, etc....without being sick. I am wondering if anyone who had the band and was not successful was successful with the sleeve? I am too scared to have RNY. Feel like a total loser.
Thanks
Gina
(deactivated member)
on 10/9/10 3:54 am - Vernal, UT
I have been problems with my band also. I have only lost 70lbs in over 2 years. I feel like at this time I maght have had some slippage. It really scares me as if I have it removed I might gain it all back, but sacared to have an RNY also. I also feel like a loser.
Danette
Hislady
on 10/9/10 5:27 am - Vancouver, WA
Check out the sleeve board, there are lots of ex bandsters over there.
hopingtolose
on 10/9/10 10:12 am - CA
thanks! I really need to hear others experiences and know that I am not alone. Gina
WASaBubbleButt
on 10/11/10 2:01 am - Mexico
I'm a band to sleeve revision. Bands are a horror. Sorry you are going through this.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Kimberley H.
on 10/11/10 5:46 pm - Winston-Salem, NC

Please don't blame yourself.

The band does not work for everyone.

WASaBubbleButt
on 10/14/10 8:34 am - Mexico
On October 12, 2010 at 12:46 AM Pacific Time, Kimberley H. wrote:

Please don't blame yourself.

The band does not work for everyone.

I don't blame myself, the band is a horror.

I got to goal with a band, at the time of my revision my BMI was 20.8.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
WhoseU
on 10/12/10 6:43 pm - San Diego, CA
 Hi Gina!  I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone.  I got the lap band just over 3 years ago and I also hate it for pretty much the same reasons you do.  I only lost about 60 pounds and have gained about 20 of that back.   Can't eat any vegetables, very few fruits, and many, many other things.  It has also destroyed my social life as I almost never go out to eat with friends any more, as I always worry about having problems when I'm out in public (stress can cause the band to tighten and I worried so much about having problems that the band would get tighter and cause the very problem I was worried about).

So, like you, I hate the band.  I am also in the process of having a revision to VSG.  It sounds like a lot of people seem to be having good luck with that (and I know too many people who had RNY and gained all or most of their weight back - but still have vitamin deficiency problems, so I don't want that).  I recently read somewhere that something like 54% of people with the lap-band have problems and later have it removed (and 98% of those that have it removed have a revision to something else).  

So just know that you are not alone and there are a bunch of us in this same boat with you!  

Most Active