Dr. Keshishian in California / anyone had him for revision from RNY to DS

sweetdew
on 10/8/10 5:55 pm - CA
Thank you to those of you *****ferred me to Dr. Keshishian in Glendale, CA. I went to my consult and orientation today and am waiting for insurance approval after all the paperwork is submitted.

In the mean time, I want to know who has already had Dr. K as their doctor and what has your post surgery been like? Did you have any problems?

Is is asking $4,000 out of pocket physician fees over the insurance payment. Please advise if he is / was your doctor.

sweetdew
JRinAZ
on 10/10/10 4:16 am - Layton, UT
On October 9, 2010 at 12:55 AM Pacific Time, sweetdew wrote:
Thank you to those of you *****ferred me to Dr. Keshishian in Glendale, CA. I went to my consult and orientation today and am waiting for insurance approval after all the paperwork is submitted.

In the mean time, I want to know who has already had Dr. K as their doctor and what has your post surgery been like? Did you have any problems?

Is is asking $4,000 out of pocket physician fees over the insurance payment. Please advise if he is / was your doctor.

sweetdew
Hi Sweetdew!

Hiya Sweetdew!

I am a Dr. Keshishian post-op.  My revison from Rny to DS was in May.  Other than feeling the expected post surgical pain...it was just textbook.  I had a  learning curve of what my body needed as far as rest, walking, food, etc.  ....My worst stretch was the 6 weeks I had the feeding tubes in me.  They just irritated me for some reason.  Other's experiences surely varies.....

6 weeks was a big milestone moment.  I got the feeding tubes out and started working out a bit.  I felt awesome!  ....  My next milestone was around 12 weeks post-op when I took a 4 week solo roadtrip, really relied on protein drinks to boost my hair growth and energy...and started feeling amazing for the first time in a thousand years!  LOL! 

I'm a ibt over 4 months post-op and am working myself up for some running events next month and a marathon in Feb.

I can bloat like crazy if I eat too many crap carbs and my gas can certainly clear a room when that same "bloat" is ready to leave my body!  LOL!  ....But, if I stay on a tidy eating program and pretty much stay with a Southbeach/Atkins style of eating then I feel great!!!  I plan every meal around a protein and rarely have space to add many carbs.  I'm on a WLS "low carb lifestyle" support site and the recipes and experiences shared there totally keep me on track!

My advice is to just follow Dr. K's protocol to the T!!!  Hang with the DS peeps on the DS forum and ask any questions that may come up.  There isn't ever a stupid question...but, just so I don't annoy the vets who see the same qustions a thousand times; I often do a search on a specific topic and try and read through old threads to learn!

Good luck!  You are in GREAT hands with a fun surgeon.  ....  He has such a great sense of humor and though a REvision is pretty serious business...he helps instill confidence when he acts so eager to get started on your procedure!!!  he told me he couldn't wait to get his hands in "my guts"!  LOL!  ...  Just after they gave me some loopy ****tail pre-op, I grabbed a nurses sharpie and wrote Dr. K a note on my tummy!  Gheesh!  Good thing he takes us all with a huge grain of salt! 

Keep us posted and let us know how we can support you!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

sweetdew
on 10/10/10 1:19 pm - CA
Joyce!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so so so much! THank you!
millikan01
on 10/12/10 11:02 am
Hey
I am 3 weeks post op and just flew back last week from CA.  Expect some pain and discomfort, but other than that, its just a standard surgery.  He tells you what to do so if you follow it you should be fine.  Hard part for me now is energy and I cant eat much.  I still have my feeding tube which I hate, but it comes out in about 3 more weeks.  Im walking slowly and doing simple things just to stay active.  I am giving myself time to recover.  My surgery experience was exactly what I expected and as of today I am down 25lbs so im happy!  =)
RNY 9/24/08
Surgery Weight - 344.4 
Revision to DS 9/22/10
Surgery Weight - 231.0 
Plastics 4/14/11 
Surgery Weight - 211.0
Current Weight - 179.8
Goal Weight - 160.0
I am staring at Ambition, shaking hands with Success, and smiling at Determination - What are YOU doing? *smirk*

"They ON IT cause they WANT IT!"

Most Active