"lightweight" seeking revision RNY/ DS

mylittleblackdress
on 10/3/10 8:21 am - FL
I'm a lightweight and had the DS in July.  I was self-pay and would do it again in a second!  I had a fabulous surgeon and at 12 weeks post-op I have lost 55lbs--over half my excess weight!

Don't overlook the DS as a viable option.  It is an amazing and positive life-changing surgery!

Lisa
(deactivated member)
on 10/3/10 8:45 am - Bayonne, NJ
I revised to the DS last December. I was 221. I am now 163, so that's not a huge rate of loss, something people often see with a revision. I think it's fine for a "lightweight" to have the DS.

If you don't want to go through it a third time, go with the DS. My RNY gave me hell. I kept off over 100 lbs, but had constant reflux and vomiting.  Since revising I'm doing well and I'm a new woman.
SkInNyMiN
on 10/3/10 8:48 am - NE
I was a "lightweight" going into my DS as I "only" had 97 lbs to lose. I hit goal in less than 6 months and couldn't be happier! I personally would not get the RNY, I've seen to many people get the RNY lose their weight and either gain it all back or have to fight like crazy to maintain their weight. I've never seen a DS patient revise to another surgery because they gained all their weight back. The vitamins you need to take with the DS can be a lot, depending on how your labs look and you can not slack in the vitamins department of this surgery. Other than that a DS life is pretty darn easy!
(deactivated member)
on 10/3/10 10:06 am
beemerbeeper
on 10/3/10 10:15 am - AL
I have photos on my profile. I'm 5'8" and I started at 262 and was 242 at time of surgery.

My normal weight parents both died of Type 2 Diabetes which was the main reason I began considering the DS. Once I learned about the DS I could not imagine getting a RNY. I had 98 lbs to loose ... my goal was set at 164. It is NOT too much surgery, it is just BETTER surgery for almost everyone and ESPECIALLY for diabetes cure rate and long term success rate.

PM me if you have any questions. I'm one of MANY light weight DSers who are healthy and happy post op.

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/10 12:17 pm
Your reflux is most likely being CAUSED by your band.  I had a band, too, and I had terrible reflux!  I was a lightweight when I got my band AND when I revised to the DS.  I think it's bullcrappy that some surgeons (who don't even DO the DS) still say that the DS is only for SMO people.  When I revised to the DS, I weighed 226 pounds, and I'm 5'2.  I barely met the bmi requirements for wls.  My surgeon tailored my DS with a longer common channel to compensate for my bmi.  It CAN be done, and IS done every day.  If you think that the DS is a lifestyle that you could live with, consult a surgeon that does the DS and speak candidly with him/her about your concerns.  You may have to travel to get the DS, but most of us do...it's no big deal really.  I traveled from Wyoming to Texas for mine, and it wasn't bad at all.  I did a phone consult with Dr. Stewart, and then flew to Texas for my surgery.  Lots of us also self pay for our surgeries, so you'll have to check out surgeon's rates as well, if self pay is your option.  I'm still learning the ropes of the DS life, but so far, I love it!  I'm down 40 pounds in 8 weeks and look and FEEL so much better already!  Make a wise decision for yourself.  You've already been cut once, so keep researching until you know 100% which surgery is right for you.  Knowledge is power.  Too bad I didn't have the smarts to research the DS BEFORE I signed up for the crapband!  Good luck and best wishes to you!
Michelle H.
on 10/3/10 1:01 pm - Canada
I am an RNY'er getting ready to revise to the DS. I had my RNY in 1999 and my revision will be exactly to the day 11 years later. I can not wait.

I lost very well with my RNY. I got down 170 pounds, would like to have lost a bit more but was happy with where I was. I am now just 80 pounds less then the day I had my RNY. So I have gained 90 pounds. My stoma is stretched, my pouch is to large, and I suffer terrible terrible reactive hypoglycemia because I have a pouch and do not have a fully functioning stomach like I will when I get the DS.

Let me tell you what happened today. Now keep in mind I am a mother as well and I thank GOD my kids were not with me. I drove by myself in to the city that is about 15 minute drive from my home (we live in the country) prior to leaving I ate breakfast. I went in to Wal Mart and when I got there I could tell my sugar was feeling a bit low. I thought I would push through it and get what I needed and get home. By the time I got in to the store my sugar had dropped so low so fast I coudl not see, I could not feel my tongue, I was sweating so bad that I was damn near soaking wet by the time someone could help me. I could not stand as my legs were so weak and like jello. I was lucky enough that a man asked me if I was okay and I just shook my head and pointed to my medi alert and then I assume I passed out?!?! I did come to with the ambulance there and my husband being called. Lucky for me, my cousin is a pharmaist at that Wal Mart and so I was not alone. My sugar came up, I did avoid a ride in the ambulance but ONLY because my cousin was there and He was helping me as well as drove me BACK to the house where I proceeded to sleep for almost 5 hours. Could you imagine as a mother what this would have been like had my children been with me? How scared they would have been? I mean my kids have seen my blood sugar drop so low that my legs give right out from under me, however that is at home with people around that they know. Wal Mart is a different story.

I can not wait to get rid of this damn pouch and get my pyloric valve back and have my stomach be fully functioning. I would walk a way from a paid in full RNY any day knowing what I know now.

I only need to lose 100 pounds from my revision, so I am a light weight. However I don't care if I had to loose 100 or 500 pounds to keep my stomach functioning normally I would do whatever it takes.

Good luck with your decision
Michelle
My is Debbie M.......I am to lo24 (Louisa)
RNY 338- 185.  Regain to SW260 CW 236 GW 150ish?

terilynn112
on 10/3/10 9:47 pm - maryland, NY
The original poster said the DS was not an option, so where you you all get off going on and on and on about how great the ds is, and how awful the rny is? Does someone pay you to give your opinion? I'm tired of hearing about how wonderful the ds is.

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Gwen M.
on 10/3/10 10:16 pm - Valrico, FL
actually,  she said she didn't know if it was an option for her as she was a lightweight.

Everyone is entitled to voice their opinion on this board and more importantly, everyone considering surgery has the right to know about all of the surgeries, evaluate the surgeries and how they would work for their lifestyles and make their decision accordingly.

In the end,  although opinions are definitely a help,  she needs to base her decision on the facts and how it correlates to her lifestyle and goals.

mquirkygirl
on 10/5/10 1:56 pm - New York City, NY
Why are you tired of hearing about it?  Would you rather people lie about their experiences?  The people going on and on about how awful the RNY is are mostly RNY-->DS REVISIONS who have lived with the RNY and can speak as to how awful their individual experiences were.  Neither you nor I have lived with the RNY so neither of us can speak as to whether or not it's good or bad.

As a revision patient, the last thing you should be is closed minded about other viable surgery options. 

I wish I got a kickback from talking about the DS.  I'd have enough money for plastics by now.  :-)

5'10", HW: 326/SW: 280/CW: 181/Goal: 165

Most Active