Lapband to RNY

bubbles1
on 10/2/10 5:44 am - Surprise, AZ
I know this has probably been covered before but ...I have been hearing about people being very disappointed when revising lap band to RNY....slow or no weight loss...This really scares me. I have to have the lap band out no matter what but now I am worrying about revising to the RNY if it is not going to work....Please do not repond with check out  the DS I am not interested in it...no judgement...it is just not an option for me. Anyone with this procedure I would love hearing from. Thanks!

TamaraL
on 10/2/10 7:58 am
there are many people on the gastric bypass board that have gone from lap band to RNY. I have not heard of one that has had a hard time with weight loss.  I think you get what you put into it. You do have to stick to the guidelines given to you and work the bypass. 

I have read that before a revision you need to figure out why the first surgery did not work.  I have the band and it has been a difficult road. i have been to doctors office 19 times in 1 year and 8 months.  Had to have my gallbladder out during this also. When I get fills I can only get to 4 1/2 cc's and I start having heart burn. They cannot put any more saline in my band.  I have pain around the stomach and stomach spasms all the time.  oh yeah and a low heart rate because of the band. 

With that being said I know that I could have done better with my diet.  I would be so hungry and then graze.

My program has a psychologist that I am working with and will work with her post op.

This is a do over for me and I hope to really use the bypass honeymoon period to lose all of the weight that I need to lose.

terilynn112
on 10/2/10 10:18 pm - maryland, NY
I too have never seen anyone NOT loose with an RNY. You just have to remember to follow the rules. I'm also a failed band going to rny. I've had similar issues to Tamara, so I won't go thru that. But most annoyingly I've lost and gained... and am still gaining. MY surgeon made the decision to rest my body until the surgery because of the amount of reflux I've had. I have a history of barretts esophagus, which is from reflux, and it's pre cancerous. So getting the reflux under control was a big part of my goals in getting wls. It hasn't helped yet... the RNY is supposed to cure it.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

MsBatt
on 10/3/10 6:43 am
May I ask what it is about the DS that turns you off? It really DOES have the very best long-term, maintained weight loss and resolution or prevention of co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.
Michelle F.
on 10/3/10 6:59 am
Have you thought about revising to the sleeve?  There's no malabsorption like the band and almost everyone I know who has done it has been very successful.

I'm going through a lot of crap now with the band, had my share of fills/unfills over the last year, gallbladder out & port revision, and now a pouch dilation/minor band slip.  Just had a complete until and if it doesn't fix itself in a few weeks I will need to have more surgery.  I decided that I will not get another band, I will revise to a sleeve.  I'm not good with taking my vitamins regularly so I think that will be the best option for me.

I will say that I've been very successful with the band, I did get really close to my goal weight in less than a year, but once I started having problems this year, it keeps piling up, so I think it's time for me to revise.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

bubbles1
on 10/3/10 12:39 pm - Surprise, AZ

I was going to convert to the sleeve...after battles with insurance I was told no DS without a BMI of 50 or higher and the sleeve is still considered experimental...I need to do something so
RNY is my choice...the band has started to erode.

Kimberley H.
on 10/3/10 12:51 pm - Winston-Salem, NC

My doctor told me I would continue to have problems with reflux with the sleeve. Isn't the sleeve half of the DS surgery?

sandygoldens
on 10/4/10 10:14 pm
Hi, I had a revision from lapband to RNY on March 9th of this year and of today i have lost 102lbs with 20 lbs to go. As in other post it is only a tool, if you follow the guidelines you will have success. I had nothing but trouble with the lapband and i'm so glad that i have had the revision. To this day I have had no problems and i'm just loving my RNY. Good luck with your journey and if you have any questions please ask.
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/10 3:00 am - NJ
Hi there!  I had my band out in March 09, and revised to RNY in April 09.  I had severe reflux and the only way to cure it was to have the band removed.  I knew the RNY would cure the reflux and it did.

My weight loss with the band was super poor, too - only about 15 pounds in 8 months (I couldn't eat or keep anything down due to intense vomiting all the time).

So you have an idea of my size, I started out in June 08 (when I got the band) at 216.  I was somewhere around 200ish (I didn't weigh myself because I didn't want to know!) when I got the RNY, mainly due to a month of death row meals and drinks!

I am currently 18 months out and have been maintaining my loss of 110 pounds since June.  I go between 106 - 111, depending on the day!  I was maintaining 108 - 111, but lost a couple of pounds this week.

I am 5 feet tall.  

Don't be scared - the RNY is much easier to live with and it's nice to not live in fear that I am going to vomit all the time, or feel like someone poured rubbing alcohol down my throat into my stomach!

Please ask away - I am so glad to share what I have learned and gone through with you!

charleston-mom
on 10/5/10 4:04 am, edited 10/5/10 4:04 am
I had a revision from the lapband and am three years out from my revision. I lost 100% of my excess weight with the RNY. They are lightyears different surgeries. I stay between 103-108 now, a size 0-2. Good luck!

Oh - just editing to say I'm 53 years old (next week) and am 5'2-1/2 inches tall.
Most Active