I think I got the worst of the sleeve...

spybo
on 9/29/10 11:23 am - Houston area, TX
My backstory:  My Lap-Band treated me well for 4 1/2 years before it slipped, I even got to 10 pounds under goal.  After it slipped and was emptied for several months I gained 40 pounds.  So last year, I looked to revisions and although I really wanted a DS, everyone told me I would lose too much weight and that no surgeon would do it for me.   So, I went to Mexico and got VSG.  Dr Aceves even offered me RNY when I was there, saying that with my history of reflux, RNY would be preferable to the sleeve.  But I didn't want all the hassles with frequent labs and supplementing a bunch of vitamins etc. 

So now, I am in the "non-significant" 4.9% (per recent study) of VSG patients with iron deficiency anemia.  My Hgb was 10.6, but my ferritin was only 3!  My B12 was low, also.  I got an iron infusion last week, which the hematologist seems to think will have to be an ongoing thing.  Today I had labs rechecked and don't have results yet, but got a chemistry to check protein, albumin, and calcium levels.  I am taking Feosol, Vit C, and B12 daily.

In addition, I never felt like I've had much restriction with the sleeve.  I can easily eat 2 cups of food at a meal, even with no drinking.  When I complained to Dr Aceves and staff that I've only been able to lose 25 pounds in 1 year I was told that it's because I didn't have as much to lose and that at least I was maintaining.  I also have felt hungry ever since the sleeve, after never having felt hungry the whole time i had my band.  Oh yes, I also have reactive hypoglycemia after eating almost daily...

I do wish I had pursued the DS harder, or maybe I should have gotten the RNY.  I didn't want another band and continue to have to cash pay for slipped bands etc, but I am not happy with the sleeve either.
Zee Starrlite
on 9/30/10 6:02 am
Sorry that you are disappointed.

Had you been taking daily vitamins & minerals?  An iron supplement?  There is no reason why your body would not be able to absorb BUT it takes a long time and a lot of discipline to get your iron stores back up once it depletes.  Get yourself on a regime!

If you were underweight 10lbs with the Band, gained 40 after slip and lost 25lbs, it would make you only 5lbs overweight.  THIS IS NOT BAD AT ALL!

I've always suffered with iron issues. It messes you up both mentally and emotionally.  My internist believes it's the reason why I couldn't succeed at losing weight.

After you go through all the "stuff", just accept where you are right now - it really isn't a bad place to be.  AND truth be told, we can't eat like birds for the rest of our lives.  Good whole foods are the real answer.  You can eat more, be less hungry, and actually get nourishment.

All the Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

spybo
on 9/30/10 7:15 am - Houston area, TX
Thanks, Leila.
You're right, I think part of this is disappointment and shock at my absorption issues.  I would like to lose 10 pounds, I don't want to get as thin as I was when I was underweight and people were asking if I had cancer or anorexia. (No and no!)

It's a hard adjustment for me to grasp that I will always have B12 and iron issues post sleeve.  I was never anemic before this.  I guess in my mind I think that if I knew then what I know now, I would have just gone ahead with one of the malabsorption surgeries.
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/10 11:58 am
Hi!

B12 wanes normally as people age.  Your body just makes less and less of it.  I had B12 issues and was taking shots prior to having the DS.  Iron issues can also crop up at any time during a persons life.  You just need to get on a good program and stick with it.  Most "normies" are D deficient and A deficiency sometimes happens to seniors or people with other bowel issues.

Go by your labs and start supplementing. I would use Vitalady's Tender Iron and throw in a Proferrin.  The Tenders are carbonyl iron and the Proferrin is heme iron, both much gentler on your system and both more absorbable.

BTW, my daughter became anemic at the age of 38 and she is a 'normie'.. sometimes it just happens.

Good luck,
Michele
Ruby R.
on 9/30/10 6:55 pm
Pls tell me what Proferrin is.  I take tender iron and still my numbers are low.  I think I need to take more tender iron.

ruby
rny  3/2005
262/125/140
hi/lo/today
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/10 1:11 pm
Proferrin is "heme iron", a highly absorbable type of iron.  There have been quite a few that have raised their levels with this iron.  It is expensive so before you buy see if your Dr. will give you a prescription for Profeein Forte. Same iron with folic acid and most insurance companies will cover it.

HTH,
Michele
goodlife
on 9/30/10 2:36 pm - Mandeville, LA
Since you have no malabsorption with the sleeve with the exception of perhaps B12 due to the reduced levels of the intrinsic factor...your anemia is obviously being caused by something else. I think with the malabsorption of the DS you would be in even more trouble. Not sure why you wish you would have fought harder for the DS or had the RNY instead given your current health issues.

As for your lack of restriction and hunger, do you know what size bougie Dr. Aceves used on you? I'm wondering if perhaps he used a larger size due to the fact of you being such a lightweight at the time of your revision.

What are your eating habits like?
High Weight: 292         Surgery Weight: 268

spybo
on 9/30/10 3:37 pm - Houston area, TX
He used the same size bougie that he uses on everyone, I specifically asked.

I know the problems are not true malabsorption, but we recently had a long thread on here about how B12 is required to convert iron into ferritin or something like that.  I don't know for sure, but I was never anemic before and i don't believe it's due to menstruation as I have light periods.  I also eat a lot of meat, so take in plenty of iron.

I guess I figure, that if I'm going to take lots of vitamins anyway, what's a few more?
My protein and albumin are normal, current hgb was 11.3 yesterday, calcium normal, and ferritin wasn't back yet.
jeanyjane
on 10/2/10 6:02 am - Germany
With just 10 more pounds to loose, you`ve done fantastic. Everyone wants to loose down to "goal", but that is NOT the norm for WLS patients in general and even less so for revision patients. 10 pounds are nothing considered that you once were morbidly obese!! 10 pounds make no difference at all health-wise, so please do yourself the favor, be proud of your sucess without malabsorbation and forget the numbers. It sounds as if you are one of those for who the sleeve is not working that well in terms of hunger solution and restriction, which means your archievements despite those odds against you are even bigger.

I agree that your vit issues may be much worse with the DS or RNY.. taking a few more pills may not have been enough for you with strong malabsorbation. Most people do well with proper supplements, but there are always some who can`t get their levels up regardless how much supplements they take. Needing blood transfusions or even a revision to lengthen the common channel is not common with neither the RNY nor the DS, but it does happen and it`s no fun.
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/10 10:14 am, edited 10/2/10 10:14 am
On September 29, 2010 at 6:23 PM Pacific Time, spybo wrote: My backstory:  My Lap-Band treated me well for 4 1/2 years before it slipped, I even got to 10 pounds under goal.  After it slipped and was emptied for several months I gained 40 pounds.  So last year, I looked to revisions and although I really wanted a DS, everyone told me I would lose too much weight and that no surgeon would do it for me.   So, I went to Mexico and got VSG.  Dr Aceves even offered me RNY when I was there, saying that with my history of reflux, RNY would be preferable to the sleeve.  But I didn't want all the hassles with frequent labs and supplementing a bunch of vitamins etc. 

So now, I am in the "non-significant" 4.9% (per recent study) of VSG patients with iron deficiency anemia.  My Hgb was 10.6, but my ferritin was only 3!  My B12 was low, also.  I got an iron infusion last week, which the hematologist seems to think will have to be an ongoing thing.  Today I had labs rechecked and don't have results yet, but got a chemistry to check protein, albumin, and calcium levels.  I am taking Feosol, Vit C, and B12 daily.

In addition, I never felt like I've had much restriction with the sleeve.  I can easily eat 2 cups of food at a meal, even with no drinking.  When I complained to Dr Aceves and staff that I've only been able to lose 25 pounds in 1 year I was told that it's because I didn't have as much to lose and that at least I was maintaining.  I also have felt hungry ever since the sleeve, after never having felt hungry the whole time i had my band.  Oh yes, I also have reactive hypoglycemia after eating almost daily...

I do wish I had pursued the DS harder, or maybe I should have gotten the RNY.  I didn't want another band and continue to have to cash pay for slipped bands etc, but I am not happy with the sleeve either.

Did you get any answers to your problems?  can anyone help you?  hope you are well

Mila
Most Active