Has anyone had a revision from a Stomaphyx to a band?

JRinAZ
on 9/28/10 1:57 am - Layton, UT
On September 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM Pacific Time, StacysMom wrote:
 Someone named "Pepsi98" had the Stomaphyx done a few years ago and posted her pre and post experiences with it.   It did not work.   She then had a lapband put over her RNY pouch - BOB (Band Over Bypass).   I haven't seen her posting in quite some time, but maybe she will answer a PM if you can find her profile and send her one.

There was someone else who had BOB and it was very successful for her.    She used to post on here several months ago, but I haven't seen her lately either.  Maybe someone else remembers her profile name and you can send her a PM?

I just found our Pepsi gal on the DS forum.  I don't think she'll be recommending Stomaphyx OR Band over Bypass (BOB).  Poor thing!  I hope everything turns out well for her and that she can make her way to one of the 3 Revision surgeon's that can handle major complicated surgeries (Keshishian, Rabkin and Gagner in Canada...note..Greenbaum is not taking revisions at this time)!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4247879/Consult-with-Dr -Roslin/

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Lisa N.
on 9/27/10 3:12 pm - Williston Park, NY
 I had Gastric Bypass in August of 2003. I started at 300 and lost 120 pounds.  Starting in 2007, I started gaining the weight back and in Sept of 2008, I had stomaphyx and I lost about 30 pounds, which I have gained back plus more. I have met with my surgeon in the past couple months and we have discussed revision surgery.  He said stompahyx is not an option for me again b/c it didn't work. We did discuss having a full revision, but there are risks.  I just met with him last week and he told me that the hospital that he is at is not performing WLS surgery any more.  He has referred me to his former partner and suggested that I should have a lap band vs having a complete revision. I was just wondering if anyone had a stomaphyx and then had a band put on after?
StacysMom
on 9/27/10 3:37 pm
 Someone named "Pepsi98" had the Stomaphyx done a few years ago and posted her pre and post experiences with it.   It did not work.   She then had a lapband put over her RNY pouch - BOB (Band Over Bypass).   I haven't seen her posting in quite some time, but maybe she will answer a PM if you can find her profile and send her one.

There was someone else who had BOB and it was very successful for her.    She used to post on here several months ago, but I haven't seen her lately either.  Maybe someone else remembers her profile name and you can send her a PM?
JRinAZ
on 9/28/10 1:25 am - Layton, UT
On September 27, 2010 at 10:12 PM Pacific Time, juviegal72 wrote:
 I had Gastric Bypass in August of 2003. I started at 300 and lost 120 pounds.  Starting in 2007, I started gaining the weight back and in Sept of 2008, I had stomaphyx and I lost about 30 pounds, which I have gained back plus more. I have met with my surgeon in the past couple months and we have discussed revision surgery.  He said stompahyx is not an option for me again b/c it didn't work. We did discuss having a full revision, but there are risks.  I just met with him last week and he told me that the hospital that he is at is not performing WLS surgery any more.  He has referred me to his former partner and suggested that I should have a lap band vs having a complete revision. I was just wondering if anyone had a stomaphyx and then had a band put on after?
Poor thing!!!

Do yourself a favor....skip the possibilities of having another couple of revisions and go straight to the DS!!!  Seriously wishing I had started there in the first place and saved myself years of "unhealthy"!!!!   RESEARCH!!!  ...... check out & read thoroughly:  www.dsfacts.com

Good luck!  WLS "can" be a wonderful journey!!!

Joyce 

pammy927
on 9/28/10 7:25 am
Hi Joyce. You may not remember my previous posts. I saw dr k first for revision from gastric bypass to ds., then went to dr Cirangle in the bay area. He scared me and my family saying that it was very dangerous and that the area where the two lines of drudges meet has a 30-50 percent chance of leakage. I also went to 4 other doctors. I was ready to give up when a friend talked me into one more visit to ger dr. I drug my family down there and after dr Nishi spent an hour talking to us and not trying to sell us in any one procedure, we were all more confident with him. Most of dr k's patients are very very happy with him and I don't doubt that one bit. But I don't want to take a big risk I am re learning how to eat like I'm supposed to as well. Please don't take offense at all. You have Been very successful and have made the best decision for you. My insurance will cover this type of revision but not the ds. I do enjoy reading how you guys are doing.
JRinAZ
on 9/28/10 7:59 am - Layton, UT
Oh Heaven's sake!  No offense at all sweetie pie!  I did forget your previous posts and am delighted with your persistence in finding your own path!  It's a bummer than your insurance won't cover every option.  Do you think there's any chance for an appeal?  I had to go to 2 levels of appeal for my DS with Dr. K.

I sincerely hope your revision does the trick for you!  Kudos to you for "re learning how to eat".  Our histories can certainly sabotage the best of surgeries, right?!!!

Let us know how we can support you friend and good luck with all!!!
Joyce 

pammy927
on 9/28/10 4:49 am
Hi Joyce, I haven't been on in awhile, but after seeing your post, I wanted to let you know I had an endoscopy and my 10 year old gastrib bypass pouch had stretched to 10cm. They would rather it be no bigger than 5 cm and since everything else in intake and looking good, they are recommending a full revision to make my pouch smaller. Going to the Khalii Center in Beverly Hills.  They have a great group of surgeons there who practiced at Cedars Sinai.  They were talking about making my malabsorption more, but not as much as the DS.  People are still so afraid of the malnutrition, oh well.  I think this sounds like a good option though. 
Pam
JRinAZ
on 9/28/10 6:15 am - Layton, UT
Oh Pam!!!!
If you can make it to Beverly Hills then do yourself a HUGE HUGE HUGE (gigantic!  LOL!) favor and get just one - more - opinion!!!! 

Dr. Keshishian is in Glendale...just an exit or 2 from Beverly Hills.  He is one of the leading Revision surgeons in the world!!!  If you email him then he is quick to get back to you through email or phone with information/medical opinions.

The stats on pouch redo's are not good.......  RESEARCH!!!  Check out www.dsfacts.com

Dr. K is:  [email protected]

Another opinion will help you know if you are making the right choice for YOUR situation!

Good luck friend!  Let us know if we can help you!

Joyce 

Lisa N.
on 9/28/10 12:17 pm - Williston Park, NY
 I am going to a seminar tomorrow, with the surgeon's group that my surgeon recommended.  They used to work in the same office, but parted ways.  Hopefully they group can answer my questions, and once I speak to the surgeon, We can figure which surgery would be best for me.

Lisa
HoopersJudge
on 10/4/10 1:29 pm - hamilton, NJ
My StomaphyX did not work long term, either. I kept the weight off for about a year because I was vigilent in my diet and exercise. Then I started suffering from exhaustion (still am) and stopped exercise and then eventually stopped following the very strict eating plan (paleolithic diet) so I began regaining the weight. I'd really like to find a solution to lose this extra 25lbs permanently. Good luck in your journey!
Most Active