Revision Complete! out of the hospital!

Debbie M.
on 9/30/10 2:50 am
I regained all of my weight which was 175lbs.  I was 358 at surgery and am down to 220 now.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

* Gail R *
on 9/28/10 11:23 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Hi Deb, I remember you fondly from the CA forum years ago when we were both trying to get our RNY. I watched you really turn your life around and find happiness and good health. I am glad that you are still working to keep that health. If you remember me and are at all curious, just take a look at my profile. This has been a busy year. At last I had my WLS!

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

StacysMom
on 9/28/10 11:34 am
No one is saying the REASON that this board is "pro-DS" - and that is because it works!

I've been reading this board now for over 3 years and watched people get all hyped up about whatever revision they were touted by their surgeon (ROSE, Stomaphyx, ERNY, pouch tightening, Lapband to RNY, whatever!)  and then watched as they reported their progress to the masses!

During this period I gleaned that :  

Neither of the endoscopic methods work AT ALL (ROSE or Stomaphyx);

The Lapband to RNY works initially, but then the people stop losing and are frustrated and looking for yet another revision, at which time their doc recommends ROSE, a lapband over their RNY (BOB - Band Over Bypass), or the ERNY;

The failed RNY'ers get recommended the ERNY (a shortened common channel adding more malabsorption), which works for some and not for others , depending on how short the common channel is made.   Some have had severe malabsorption/failure to thrive issues and those are the ones who lost the most weight.

The people who merely had their pouches tightened found that their pouches stretched out again (of course this will happen - it already happened ONCE).

And, then there are the ones who "revised" (it's really a conversion to an entirely different surgery!) from RNY to DS, who are happy with their surgery and don't complain at all!

The biggest problem is educating people whose surgeons DO NOT PERFORM THE DS about the lies surrounding this surgery.   Most surgeons who run what I call 'RNY/LAPBAND FACTORIES" don't want patients to educate themselves on any procedure OTHER than whey they perform.    They don't want to lose the business. They want to HERD people in like cattle and give them the same "cookie-cutter" operation and then BLAME THE PATIENT when it FAILS!

Just recently, because of pressure put on surgeons by patients clamoring for the DS, more and more surgeons are learning to perform it.

When an RNY surgeon turns a patient off to the DS because it's "radical" or "risky" or there are horrible "potty issues" ---- that surgeon is NOT speaking about the MODERN DS - he is using the old "Scopinaro DS" procedure to scare the patient into choosing the surgery he/she wants to give them.     The old DS hasn't been performed in YEARS because it WAS a dangerous, radical, last resort procedure that left a lot of patients very sick for the rest of their lives.  

IF PATIENTS DON'T EDUCATE THEMSELVES ON THE INS AND OUTS OF THE SURGERIES, THEY WILL BE SUBJECT TO DO WHATEVER SOME DOCTOR TELLS THEM.  Learn the lingo and be able to discuss the procedures intelligently with your surgeon!!  It's YOUR life and YOUR body being cut open.   Why keep doing it?

DO YOU KNOW HOW SHORT YOUR COMMON CHANNEL IS??  DO YOU KNOW WHAT, EXACTLY WAS DONE TO YOUR INTESTINES??  YOU SHOULD!
Poodles
on 9/28/10 1:18 pm - TX
I don't think people get mad at a post.  I think we get upset and frustrated that "medical professionals" still spill misinformation to people that trust them.  Then those people that are lied to spread the information they deem gospel because their doctor said it.

I know I lived it.  "The One" doctor here in the Dallas area looked me straight in the face and either lied to me or showed his ignorance because what he told me was wrong.  Sounded real enough.  Medical jargon and such... and he got me approved for the RNY.  (He did not do the DS)

Luckily I posted here and was educated by the DSers that have lived thru the lies/misinformation/hell and were vocal and passionate enough to tell me the truth.

If I blew them off and did not take what they said and research further, I would have the RnY.

Most of the time, I don't come to the main board because the lies make me so mad.   It is not easy for the DSers to come and "spread" the word of the DS because so many "medical professionals" are trusted way more than we are.

As for the potty issues that DSers have.  In comparison to RNYers we are the same.  I have plenty of experience being around RNY coworkers and patients when I worked at a bariatric clinic, and I have plenty of experience smelling my own poo.  And I can tell you... poo stinks no matter who's bottom it is coming out of.

And my hope for everyone on this board:  Please check the facts before becoming part of the lie spreading problem.

Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Tammi H.
on 4/23/11 11:29 am
How many years out from your first surgery are/was you?
I am 4 years out, have only been seen 3 times by my surgioun for I moved away. I feel like I am able to out eat just about anyone. So am trying to go for a revision. Have gained 80 pounds back, and I am miserable. So just was wondering for long it has been since the first one.
Tammi
Amyiable
on 10/2/10 8:54 pm
Congrats on your revisions and wising you continued good luck.   I strongly believe that pouch/sleeve size is so important.  That's because I had a large pouch with my BPD.  

A large pouch was a problem for from the very biginning, but the doctors knew less about that in 1997 when I had mine done.  I'm hopeing to get a redesign using just the lesser curvature, and cut out the fundus.  This should help reduce stretching.

Amyiable
Amyiable ----  Revised again on 12/9/10 
My 16 oz pouch was VSG'd & stoma narrowed to1.2 cm diameter.  Slight changes to limb lengths, to align with DS  (Total sm bowel = 700 cm, alimentary limb = 275 cm, and common channel set at 75cm)  

Highest 325/Weight at revision 241/Current ???/Goal 150

Most Active